-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
Room Booking Paper based/Excel Asset Management Spiceworks Help Desk Email (at the moment) Active Directory Adding Users (Bulk) Some VB script I found somewhere Print Management Papercut Software Deployment Group policy/scripts Image deployment Ghost or more recenlty WDS
-
Nice camera, it might even be a half decent replacement for our aging DV camera which we have zero budget to replace As for the driving... looks like a fairly typical drive home in london to me, I'd imagine thats at least a 45min drive by car! Would love to get a bike but my other half whines about my driving as it is, driving in london has changed my style a lot - its much more defensive than it used to be
-
Whats the term I'm looking for? Copper between buildings
Jamman960 replied to a topic in Wireless Networks
hmm this could be interesting - we have several examples of this along with a few inter-building cat5 runs although its all been in place for several years -
Whats the term I'm looking for? Copper between buildings
Jamman960 replied to a topic in Wireless Networks
Presumably if you were to run an inter-building cat5 line in and attatch a poe powered access point to the other end you wouldn't need to worry? obviously this wouldn't be great for a more perminent solution but for short term portable cabins with few machines in it wouldn't be an issue. The same would apply to digital phone systems where the phones are all powered from the pbx? -
Whats the term I'm looking for? Copper between buildings
Jamman960 replied to a topic in Wireless Networks
out of interest - If different parts of a building use different phases could that also cause a problem? -
Is there really a need to stop the downloading of images directly from the site? presumably the parents have given permission for photos of their children to be used for publicity purposes and should understand that once they're on the website they're viewable & downloadable by anyone with an internet connection. As long as you continue to be careful about whats published I wouldn't have thought there would be an issue.
-
If I remember correctly Bretford trolleys have a 4 way gang on the top
-
Bandwidth wise it'd depend on the size of the documents being sent to it but that'd apply to a wired printer also - I've seen documents with large pictures push 200mb+ to a printer when printed despite the original document being much smaller, if all 30 laptops were to send such documents at the same time you'd have an issue whether the printer is wireless or not although I suppose at least the data would be on a faster link when heading back from the print server to the printer itself if it were wired. I would always have the printers setup to print via a print server rather than having the pc's interact with it directly, you then have more control over the queues and can install print quota/monitoring software if needed.
-
It should be pretty easy asuming the laptops stay with their assigned trollys - using Group Policys or scripts to assign printers based on OU's or computer names, I'd imaging there are examples of both methods around here somewhere You can get wireless printers although I haven't seen a wireless laserjet as yet(haven't been looking for them) but as you mentioned you could stick an AP on the trolley if needed. James
-
This bits brilliant! Would anyone over here be quite as gullible? if so pm me an I'll do the same deal, edugeek discount availilble
-
stopping access to cd drives etc on boot should stop casual attempts to wipe the drive but obviously anyone desperate enough could swap the drive out with a new one or even put it in another pc and install/format from there Ooops - beaten to it!
-
Schools internet provision breakdown
Jamman960 replied to Quillyn's topic in Learning Network Manager
Connectivity wise an ADSL line would provide more than enough bandwidth - especially if you can get Fibre to the curb in the area or ADSL+2 Filtering/firewall wise you could look at smoothwall or go with a dansguardian/squid setup I don't get why the county would even suggest going for a leased line at those sort of prices when there are so few pc's on site, we(an independent school) currently pay around £40 per month for an ADSL+2 line that operates at 16mbit down, 1.3 up(if we're lucky) and have around 100 workstations accross 2 sites(connected via Gbit FSO), we don't have that many issues with it at all and have so far(touch wood!) had no downtime in 2 years during school hours bar 1 or 2 router resets. We're currenlty with Cerberus networks, we used to be with BT but they were charging £60/month for a slower ADSL Max connection. -
Global Desktop Help! Urgent! Urgent!
Jamman960 replied to TechSupp's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Not ticking the allow write should do it but it sounds as though one of the groups they are members of still has write permissions, I'd be very carefull giving non-admin users local admin rights, if you really have to give them extra perms for some reason try giving them power user rights first or give them extra access to specific folders/registry keys via GPO's. I would have thought deleting and restoring would reset the permissions although they may just inherit the perms from above. -
Global Desktop Help! Urgent! Urgent!
Jamman960 replied to TechSupp's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
adding a write deny for teachers/students should sort it, other than that use the effective permissions options to see what certain users can do as you tweak the perms James -
Large laptop rucksacks are usually pretty good - I've got an HP one that I used to take everywhere with me when I worked on the road, would usually have a crate full of spares/bits in the boot also though
-
Another recommendation for CPLTD - I deal with Joe and generally get quotes within a few hours followed by delivery the next day on the majority of orders Always have a good bit of banter and never feel as though I'm being hounded for orders when I don't place one for a week or so
-
Staff + New Laptops = web cams and biometrics
Jamman960 replied to Cools's topic in How do you do....it?
I wouldn't bother with the biometrics, I tried setting it up with one of our staff members but gave up in the end - all I got was complaints about how it took her 5+ attempts to login etc etc It can also be a little insecure as someone could register some of their own fingers in some positions along with anyone elses in the other positions and still link them to the same account. -
Our site manager's having issues also - SE london/Kent border, a few towns over from BHeath
-
The X10 is pretty good and has been replaced by the Sony Ericsson Arc(android 2.3)... my x10 has been flawless so far although my wife hasn't been so lucky, she brought hers the day after me and has had to return it 3 times now My sister has the x10 mini but I find the screen to be too small for a touch screen phone
-
How do I set up an application server?
Jamman960 replied to marsdenprimary's topic in Network and Classroom Management
It'd depend on the apps you'll be running - if its just a matter of providing storage space for them then any pc will do pretty much. Also if you have less than 10 pc's in use for the club then you could just host it from a windows xp/vista/7 machine or just use one of the club pc's for it. If the apps require sql databases or server side applications to be run then you may need a beefier machine but I'd imagine the dual core machine you've mentioned would be ok to run 2k3 server if needs be - just add a little extra ram for comfort- 4 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- apllications
- folders
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
I'd have a word with them first - really you shouldn't have to suffer because they screwed up - you should get full pay and all expenses covered at the very least... if they won't do that then you may need to claim
-
Any vista iso should do the trick - all vista discs have every version on them, the serial determines what you can install. I'll see if I can find a disc at work tomorrow
-
I'd accept that as a temporary fix - ie wait here while I go buy some pipe clips but as a perminent fix its no way near acceptable. I'd say you don't carry your wallet/cheque book - atleast not until jobs are done properly
-
The HP 6500's range is a good option, the cartridges aren't too expensive(even the XL varietys) and provide higher page counts than most ink carts Currently having a very strange problem with them when printing over the network though - test pages print fine but word documents don't... I'm presuming its a driver issue atm
-
We had a small fire in our HE room before christmas, it was enough for the entire room to be covered in black soot and be written off by the insurance company(~40k to repair apparently). I hope the school can recover quickly, it took a while to get the repairs underway here and we're only just re-opening the room this coming week One thing I'd been meaning to mention on here is that the projector pole went through the ceiling into the loft above and hadn't been sealed in any way which allowed the smoke to escape the room and could have helped the fire to spread throughout the building. Any future installations here will be inspected and we'll be asking for poles to be sealed.
