Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamman960

Members
  • Posts

    1,577
  • Joined

Everything posted by Jamman960

  1. Update: Thank you very much! the tool to reset the sysman password worked perfectly. Have now reset the password on the 2k5 instance and migrated it using the tool... I'd presume simply attaching the 2k5 db on the 2k8 instance would have worked also but might aswell do things properly Edit: Capita have confirmed that restoring the backup/attaching the database from a 2k5 instance to a 2k8 instance will work, they've sent over a patch to ensure the recovery model setting is correct. Thankfully the server decided to break while we were closed for snow so I haven't had anyone complaining about the downtime if only all servers could wait for some downtime before breaking James
  2. Nice one, will attempt to reset sysman password and migrate properly. Have logged a case on supportnet asking for advice also. If needs be I could setup a fresh sql2k5 install somewhere and attach the db to that. James
  3. Hey guys, Our Finance server became flakey the other day and I hadn't done the FMS SQL 2008 migration as yet, I decided to migrate the db over to our sims server and get rid of the accounts server all togeather(its just a powerful workstation with win2k3 installed). Before I managed to carry out the migration the server became unbootable. Anyway... I have a full backup of the FMS db, when restoring it to our sql 2k5 instance the sysman username won't work so I've restored it directly to our SQL 2k8 instance and it appears to be working(I can logon and view various bits without error) - I noticed that the Sims migration util just detatched and reattatched the db along with doing a few file updates. Is the FMS one the same? Cheers, James
  4. We've been looking at SchoolPost on and off for a while, its basically a content managment system that notifies parents via email when theres a new message within their "inbox" they then login(similar to webmail) and can then reply if the message is setup to allow it- also includes form design etc.
  5. We were off yesterday and are still off today, might be open tomorrow though... its been a good chance to get some study done typically though our Accounts server has decided to play up - I'm getting hourly emails/taunts from Nagios telling me its up... its down... its up.... its down.... Only another week to go after this
  6. The only way to register in sets with attendance is via Focus > Attendance > Edit Marks > - within there you can select what you want to see ie a whole year group, reg group or academic class. Once filtered you need to find the acadmic class and open it up as usual... pretty long winded : Our account manager keeps promising to give us a discount on Lesson Monitor. We're an independent school in the same boat, we only want to register am/pm with the pm being in sets more often than not but nothing has come of that as yet, I've given up asking... its really not worth us paying out for the full lesson monitor package when all we want is to be able to click on a lesson and get the right group up in attendance.
  7. Most companies are the same the last company I worked for forced us all to take annual leave. The school I'm working in atm never closes so its either take annual leave or work it :|
  8. If you get stuck and have spares of those I'm pretty sure they screw into themselves
  9. Hi, I'd be up for a visit if your willing to travel to Bromley. I'm a network manager at an independent school roughly the same size with pupils between 2.5 and 13. We're running Sims.net, The network has gone from having 1 server running everything to 7 physical servers and a few virtuals along with a laser link between sites. We break up on the 10th - your welcome to visit anytime during the xmas break or January, I'm about to get sucked into our xmas production rehersals so probably won't have time to breathe between now and the end of term
  10. It depends, 2 of the epsons we brought last year blew their lamps at around 1200hrs. The sonys we brought the year before all blow their lamps at around 900hrs. I'd be tempted to go with the 3yr lamp warrantee for peace of mind, if it hasn't gone through at least 1 bulb within 3 years just ensure it gets a little bit more use towards the middle of the 2nd year - its a pain that Epson actually send someone out to replace the bulbs - sony just send the bulb.
  11. I'd imagine they mean unlimited replacements within x years. Some lamp warantees will only replace the bulb once apparently.
  12. I'd either go along the root hints route or use one of the public DNS servers such as Google DNS or OpenDNS(which can also do some basic content filtering) rather than SchoolZone
  13. Have some positive rep... shame we can't see the neg reppers, maybe they'd think twice unless someone really deserved it. Hate it when someone announces the results when you haven't seen it yet, I had to record the Japanese GP and did as much as I could to avoid hearing/seeing the result... my alarm goes off on monday morning to ".... has won the Japanese Grand Prix!" Still worth a watch, wasn't a bad race at all
  14. The Casio Education warrantee that comes with the LED projectors is suprisingly good - 10k hours or 5 years(according to Misco). I'd consider either of those as a pretty good life for a projector. One thing to watch with other warrantee's is the bulb limit - Sony's educational bulb warantee normally only allows 1 bulb per projector apparently.
  15. We have a few Epson EMP-S4's - we found that the quality of the image even from new is extremly poor(its only an SVGA projector)... unfourtunatly for us the bulbs last pretty well but we are replacing them as the bulbs go, the images they produce just aren't good enough for the classroom I'm planning to go the Casio route, the cost of the projector initially is about the same as a normal projector plus 1 bulb, I'm guessing the projector itself will fail before the bulb reaches 20,000 hours but even then the educational version comes with a 5 year warantee so your covered for a good amount of time anyway. I expect normal projectors to last us around 6 years and use 2-3 bulbs in the process. If the casio's last longer its a bonus edit: We're yet to evaluate the Casio unit's themselves, image brightness and noise in full brightness mode are possible issues but a few members here are already using them so I'd guess the brightness and noise is acceptable.
  16. Wonder if it supports wildcards, if so and you don't have any other apple hardware knocking about you could get away with banning their OUI ranges- IEEE Registration Authority - IEEE OUI and Company_id Assignments I'd guess some of the other devices may use other popular nics that could conflict with genuine machines
  17. Its annoying that every single one of those including PC World diagnosed a faulty mobo rather than the memory chip... I doubt there are many techs who wouldn't have been able to fix such an obvious fault within 5 minutes including the time it took to make a cuppa - power on, 3 beeps, lets check the memory! I guess its just like garages, we in the know can pretty much tell the customer anything we like and 99% of the time they'll believe whatever we say and still thank us even if we had screwed them over atleast its slightly more in the open now.
  18. I spent the weekend moving house, I missed the F1 and had planned to watch it once the TV's sorted... until my alarm clock went off on sunday morning just as the results were being read out At least we're away from the noisy neighbors above us and their 2 year old that runs around late into the early hours.
  19. You could just use the 1 DHCP server until you switch the old one off at which point you'd just need to ensure that all reservations/exclusions are in place and then just switch off the old and authorise the new one - when clients next need to get an IP address they'll get assigned an address from the new server. As long as the old DHCP server gives out both DNS servers to clients you should be fine.
  20. Odd, does it shutdown properly or just cut the power and then come back up and ask for a reboot reason?
  21. I'd start off by checking the Event log, hopefully there should be a hint as to why its restarting. Other than that I'd trace your steps - have any settings been changed recently? any updates? any hardware changes? James
  22. We've got it installed here, it came with 3 discs - Editior, Engine and in our case Science db 11-14 On our setup we have 2 shortcuts on the start menu under Robert Powell Publications > Race Game AFL. The first is "Editior" and the 2nd is "Race Game Afl" James
  23. This is using both word 2003 and 2010, all line spacing had been reduced to 0 without any effect.
  24. Bit of a strange issue, Lucida Sans on windows 7 displays with bigger gaps above and below in windows 7 than it does in Windows XP, once I replaced the font file with the one from XP the font displayed correctly. This lead to documents previously written going over 2 pages rather than 1 and looking awful... I'm not sure if other fonts are affected. Attached pics show how it should look and how it looks on W7 prior to replacing the font.
  25. CS New Media are pretty good, many members including myself use them. Haven't had any issues so far and all of my pre-sale questions were answered very quickly at all times of the day(even 10pm+!) Edit: oops, as you can see they're pretty popular around here (any chance of comission Carl )
×
×
  • Create New...