-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
What's a camera going to achieve? I don't generally slow down for cyclists if I can overtake without having to, its really down to cyclists to make themselves seen - no driver is going to run them over on purpose.
-
I've been asked how to get started with web design by one of our year 6 pupils, I've been looking for some software(preferably free) that comes with a few templates to get him started. I remember using Frontpage when I was a liitle older than him, with the templates I had the basics for a website without much effort and then went on to look into the coding side. Obviously Frontpage is long gone but is there anything similar out there that doesn't cost the earth? I had planned to spend some of my own time at lunch's/during after school clubs next term showing him a few bits however I've now found he's leaving instead of staying on for years 7/8 Cheers James
-
Started out with a P Reg punto then had a few company cars, ended up driving my wife's Suzuki Wagon R(now that was embarassing to drive!) now drive a 55 plate Focus 1.6 Ghia Personally I'd much rather spend a good amount of money on a slightly used(3-4 year old) car, run it for 2-3 years and then part-ex it for something else while it still has some value We're currenlty looking for a 2nd car, we made the mistake of visiting carcraft to get an idea of prices the other day - what a waste of time, we were given 5 mins to look around while the sales guy searched his computer for cars that matched our req's then took us out for a test drive and assumed we were wanting to buy it there and then despite saying nothing of the sort, buying it outright was frowned upon - their tagline should be "would you like a car with that loan sir?" I get the impression the cars are there purely as something to secure loans against!
-
Communications with ICT staff in school - how do you do it?
Jamman960 replied to broc's topic in General Chat
Currenly use Email/Helpdesk and I have a DECT phone instead of a desk phone which works site wide - currenlty on an Aastra system -
I'm struggling for ideas also, I've seen a clip of an older student using it to run scratch but if we were going to run scratch I'd just stick it on the pc's in the IT suite and be done with it, the same goes for python etc unless they're going to be creating much more complex programs and would require more than standard user rights to complete their work I don't see the reason behind getting them to use Pi's
-
As you expect its pretty poor, I'd expect a DC to have everything listed there up to and including WINS but everything else should be spread across another 1-3 servers. I'd probably at least double the ram for now if you're using a 64bit OS I've seen servers doing more - where I am now originally had 1 server doing EVERYTHING including all of the above plus Exchange 2k3, ISA 2004, Backup Exec and their MIS but as you'd expect it seriously struggled and the load has now been spread over 4 physical servers with 2 running a few VM's
-
Eclipse Computers - Recommendations?
Jamman960 replied to simonhayes's topic in Recommended Suppliers
well... they are in Coventry seriously though I'm pretty sure I've seen Currys staff getting the same treatment on their way out the door, if you're going to pay your staff the minimum wage you're not always going to attract the most trustworthy people and with the cost of even the smallest computer components potentially being very high they'd be silly not to. -
£30/mo isn't too bad when you consider thats for a production server where any less than 99.999% uptime is unaceptable and any data loss would result in lawsuits and the rest, I doubt such companies make a huge amount from their £30/mo once everything has been factored in. if on the other hand you're looking at providing VPS's for testing purposes only then fair enough but you'd need to be sure your customers understand what that means.
-
I had to take some time off in Jan/Feb for so had to update(re-create) my documentation quickly ready for the support company we'd found to use, heres the table of contents: Key Locations -Servers -Switches IP Addressing Network Layout -Physical -Logical Servers -Descriptions & Functions -AD Layout -User file locations Classrooms/School layout Spares details Inks/Toner locations Backup Routines Common issues Key Contacts - suppliers, support contacts Phone system reset KVM Quick Help – Prep Server Room Asset List Password list(in school safe)
-
I tend to say £20/hr but only charge £50 odd plus parts if I'm able to take it home and do it in my own time. I'm always careful about accepting laptop repair jobs though, one teacher wanted her expensive top of the line dell studio laptop repairing(heatsink/fan replacment) - told her to take it to a shop in the end, I can't afford to replace that thing
-
Eclipse Computers - Recommendations?
Jamman960 replied to simonhayes's topic in Recommended Suppliers
If they're building them themselves I'd request a demo unit, a saving of £166.40 per pc is huge! and they certainly don't have the buying power of Stone. How do the warrantee's compare? -
Spell checkers obviously haven't made it over there yet... once they do or they get someone to proof read their scams we're in trouble Hmm maybe we could spam them back offering a proof reading service to increase the success rate of their scams by at least 20% if they send £10000 or 40% if they send £20000 or a special limited time offer of 100% for £1m!
-
Eclipse Computers - Recommendations?
Jamman960 replied to simonhayes's topic in Recommended Suppliers
Presuming you mean Eclipse Computers in Coventry I've heard many horror stories in the past but they're all from pre-2005 when I used to live up that way and were mostly customer services issues, They may have changed since then though. -
DNS/DHCP Server about to die, how to move DCHP
Jamman960 replied to mattianuk's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
On a basic level you just need to add the DHCP role then setup the scopes to be exactly the same as the other, also copy accross the dns & default gateway settings from server/scope options. Once you're ready you'll need to authorise the scope/server and off you go. you can have more than 1 DHCP server running and offering out the same scope but clients will end up getting IP's from whichever responds to their requests the quickest. Other things you need to be aware of are reservations and exclusions, these should really be copied over also. You can export them but theres no way to import so its basically a case of going through them one by one presuming any have been setup. -
Replacing a Promethean PRM-10 projector
Jamman960 replied to Jobos's topic in Promethean Direct Support
I replaced one with an Epson PLC-WL2500, needed the mount replacing. It wasn't too bad as it was one of the original +2's with the round pole rather than the newer square type. -
VNC. Why do school techies dislike it?
Jamman960 replied to visualman's topic in Educational Software
I'd definatly avoid sharing the whole screen, the last thing you want is for a teacher to freeze the screen via the projector to check their email and still have pupils able to view it You'd want something that only shares what you want to share - I know webex does this but haven't looked at the software mentioned above -
We seem to have a Theatre monster who steals/borrows cables/other bits - we have spares of almost everything in there but they always seem to dissapear when they're actually needed!
-
Looks like they're going by the name "Crown" now, had a call from them late on friday and again about 5 mins ago. Had him going for a while on friday until he wanted me to accept a free sample of his magic toner before he'd pay us a visit and buy me lunch as he's been let loose with the company credit card... nice bit of entertainment for a friday! On the 2nd call I asked for a website but its apparently under construction, told him he'd tried his luck already on friday and wasn't going to get any further today! Both times he started the conversation by confirming that I was still in the IT department and couldn't name the person he'd spoken to before
-
We've used Be/02 for via Cerberus Networks(business reseller) for the last 3 years here. Very few problems although we are using our own routers.
-
Hmm looks as though my other half is choosing too much of what we watch! Currently watching: Rizoli and Isles Body of Proof The Good Wife Hawaii Five O Army Wives The Tube Spartacus (whenever the other half isn't around...) Will be watching Game of Thrones when it comes back, just got through the 2nd book in time, well worth a read!
-
Great race, really thought Perez had it in the bag(assuming he could actually pull off a pass if he did get close enough!), his attempt at 1 stopping last week wasn't as impressive. I got the impression he was holding everyone up towards the end. Rain wise its irritating but better to have the race red flagged for a while than see 20+ safety car laps, expecting them to drive at speed with that much water being chucked around(~1+ bathtubs/sec) is insane.
-
sounds like progress our data is stored in a subfolder of the earnie32 folder called paydata, I get the impression it just looks at that folder and loads all databases contained within, I can't see any ini files that'd give a location. installing the workstation software as you've done should sort it out
-
Earnie isn't SQL based as yet so that shouldn't be related. Just had a look on supportnet for you, the error is listed but the only advice is to re-install on both server and client do you know what version you're on? I might still have some of the old cd's around here somewhere, might not have anything old enough though James
