-
Posts
2,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mullet_man
-
Next thing is I need to work out how to stop students creating their own Teams just found a team called Random Student Chat Room created by a Y7 pupil! DELETE!
-
Enabling Teams for Students in New Admin Centre?
mullet_man replied to Gongalong's topic in Cloud Services
You need to disable the new look admin centre and then enable a setting to allow students to use. All explained here in the note section (purple.bit) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/education/intune-edu-trial/enable-microsoft-teams -
Thanks for this hybo80, I've setup a few Teams hastily and it turns out I've done most of those things already. I've created a department channel for each year group on Stream so for example Year 7 - English and then teachers can upload straight to Stream from within Powerpoint. It would be nice if you could choose a channel when you upload but at the minute am checking Stream and then applying the videos to the correct channel. Each channel is assigned to each Team Subject Channel. The only thing we haven't tried yet is a "live" lesson, we are not sure if it would be good to have the kids on webcams, is there a way to disable webcams/microphones expect just for a presentor? Cheers.
-
Enabling Teams for Students in New Admin Centre?
mullet_man replied to Gongalong's topic in Cloud Services
Yeah I fell foul of this as I didn't know Teams wasn't enabled for students automatically, so we setup some Teams - Adding the students, checked they had licenses only to find out they were blocked signing in. Typical Microsoft! This was after we'd emailing all the kids and sent out some info on how to log in. Luckily it came through quicker than 24 hours, maybe about 12 in the end. -
Enabling Teams for Students in New Admin Centre?
mullet_man replied to Gongalong's topic in Cloud Services
I couldn't find it on the new centre, I had to go to the old and then switch students on. Also be careful as it takes a good few hours to enable (up to 24 hours) Once you've switched it on, just turn back on the new admin centre. Hope that helps! -
We are all Hitachi projectors and have seen some bulbs flicker, it's the bulb for sure as if you replace it the flicker stops. Just a side note we have lamp warranties, and have 5 bulbs on order but not received them due to stock issues (assuming it's issues in China due to the virus) . We had a couple of spares and a few bulbs which were dull so are coping but if any more go we will be without a bulb.
-
This is what you need https://gcits.com/knowledge-base/export-list-locations-office-365-users-logging/
-
Pearson onscreen platform installation woes
mullet_man replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Educational Software
Are the invigilator machines laptops? We found that if the laptop went to sleep the clients would lose connection and then need reconnecting. It was a bad idea using a laptop in the first place but we learned never to use it again. We just make sure we use a PC now and it's been fine. Although we never run more than 2 rooms at once just in case of issues. -
[1903, au] Edge (Chromium) Group Policy Settings
mullet_man replied to kennysarmy's topic in Windows 10
I'd like to force it too, have you deployed it out as yet? -
Pearson onscreen platform installation woes
mullet_man replied to IT_Man_Dan's topic in Educational Software
I always use supersedence in SCCM and use the replace deployment. I haven't chose uninstall as I am assuming as it's an MSI it's upgrading the current version. Worked fine for me in the past. -
[1903, au] Edge (Chromium) Group Policy Settings
mullet_man replied to kennysarmy's topic in Windows 10
Be careful setting the "Always open PDF files externally" as you'd think it would allow files to open in Adobe but instead it gives you an warning and then you then need to click download file. -
[1903, au] Edge (Chromium) Group Policy Settings
mullet_man replied to kennysarmy's topic in Windows 10
Is it showing Sync disabled? Have you checked here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-enterprise-sync Currently I have my account syncing but not setup for the rest school as yet. -
[1903, au] Edge (Chromium) Group Policy Settings
mullet_man replied to kennysarmy's topic in Windows 10
I can't see a GP that allows sync to be automatic set to "on". It's a shame as if I could enable auto login and sync I'd push Edge out now. Maybe a group policy will arrive soon which will allow us to enable it. -
[1903, au] Edge (Chromium) Group Policy Settings
mullet_man replied to kennysarmy's topic in Windows 10
There is but you need the Beta GPs. So if your on stable it won't turn off the first run you need v80 at least. Does anyone know how often MS will update the stable, will v80 be out any time soon? -
I haven't done any real testing beyond installing the stable version on my PC, is there a way to get Edge to use my O365 account rather than local account? It seemed to want to use my local account rather than o365 account. I can't see a policy for the accounts?
-
I have over 100 teaching staff and lots of room changes and finding so far the port on the laptop is holding up, but the HP USB-C universal dock we've had to replace about 6 in rooms around the building. USB-C is good for 10,000 uses, and the port is designed so the cable takes the strain apperently rather than the port. So far we are getting them replaced under warranty but at some point we will have to shell out for new ones. Had 3 smashed screens so far and no drops (that I know of but seen a few looking a bit worse for ware already) I have a theory id like to try, adding a buffer USB-C lead to see that helps as the docks have their cables part of the dock and are not replaceable, so was thinking a tenner usb cable might take the strain rather than the dock cable. Anyone done this?
-
We are only laptops here, it works great 99% of the time and it’s all I’ve known in all the schools I’ve worked in over the years. Previously we had Dell laptops with docks in each room, we’ve now replaced with HP ProBook 450 G5 laptops and USB-C docks. The key is to have plenty of spares of both items as staff forget laptops or break them. Am slightly worried about the USB-C port durability but so far so good, I’ve had to replace a few docks so far but from what I’ve read about usb-c is that the cable takes the strain rather than the port so it’s cheaper to replace a dock than a laptop. We have a large amount of teachers so we do have our day to day issues, such as sound not working in some rooms and getting staff to restart laptops to complete updates is a problem but obviously sccm takes care of that and forces a reboot eventually.
-
[ms office - o365] Office 365 A1 Plus Licensing
mullet_man replied to DavR's topic in Office Software
Thanks @sparkeh Am pretty reluctent to go to DBA due to all the issues I've seen here. We use 365 for staff and they activate against the user. Would ideally do it for student devices and use DBA (future project maybe) Thanks. -
[ms office - o365] Office 365 A1 Plus Licensing
mullet_man replied to DavR's topic in Office Software
Out of interest what does the A1 Plus licenses offer. I got them on our tennat a while back but haven't used them as we buy the ProPlus for Staff/Students and that seems to suite our needs. I will get round to applying the A1 Plus licenses though! -
[ms office - 2016] Office 365 Click to Run: Device based activation
mullet_man replied to KevinB's topic in Office Software
Yeah they just so that they can use office when we have supply in using a laptop last minute. -
Yep exactly that - set KFM in the OneDrive policies and make sure your folder redirection is set to Not Configured. We had it set to local folder and that messed up OneDrive and it wouldn't set the folders to sync with OD, you can't have any configuration set for the KFM to work.
-
[ms office - 2016] Office 365 Click to Run: Device based activation
mullet_man replied to KevinB's topic in Office Software
I have a supply/visitor account we use for guests,supply or visitors. It only gets used every now and then. It is a pain making sure everyone does have a license but only ran into the problem a few times on random accounts we have such as a calendar user we have which holds calendars for various meeting rooms. -
Not exactly the same but I implemented Known Folder Move when we replace all our teacher laptops just before we broke up for the summer, so far not had any problems at all. Make sure you install OneDrive with the /allusers switch so that OneDrive start's up straight away, it logs in really quick. For some older laptops I've moved them into a KFM group and it auto redirects the users desktop/docs to OneDrive. It works really well here. Some staff are loving the autosave feature of O365 too, I think at some point we will ditch our file servers and have everything in sharepoint. Small steps but OneDrive so far has worked pretty well.
-
Hi all, We replaced all our teacher laptops over the summer, and since the start of the year I've had two laptops that have the same exact issue. Both once passed the Bitlocker screen just sit at the loading windows screen as below, the strange thing is the mouse becomes available and you can move the mouse but nothing ever gets past that screen. Granted I haven't waited hours, the first laptop I re-imaged and all seemed fine but this second I'd rather find a solution rather than reimage. I've tried a start up repair and that doesn't help. Anyone got an ideas? I've never seen this before and not sure if it's related to M2 drives maybe? Never had it with the old spinny HDs?!
-
[free] ActiVote Handsets x 64 + ActivHub x2
mullet_man replied to DavR's topic in Classified Adverts
I might have a couple of these, similar position found them in a store room and never used. Am in Oldham though so no idea how much postage would be?
