-
Posts
2,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mullet_man
-
It does look like you can use the /silent command https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/deploy-on-windows If you can use it with /silent /allusers I'll let you know soon, am going to test it with SCCM.
-
I wonder if this will be the default on future builds of Windows? Were just about to start pushing OneDrive a lot more and this will help as the delay in opening up on first logon was a pain, will give this a test one day next week.
-
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
Thanks - we are going HP for laptops that's confirmed but dock in theory can be any make. So might have to get one of those Dell's to test. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep you updated here! -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
Looking at the WD15 it has VGA and is USB-C so in theory might work with our weird setup and HP laptops. I would suspect they would charge via the USB-C port on HP laptops? -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
I haven't no but that's on my list to try, will these docks play with non Dell laptops? We are going to move to HPs but they will have USB-C ports. -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
All our classrooms have 2 faceplates one at the teachers desk and a 2nd close to the projector, god knows why it was installed like this but this was how it was done, a new build (7 year old now). I think the company who did it were called CDec. Who I think have since folded. So we have that which might cause an issue, as well as some are long runs - is there a HDMI length limit? Most of our projectors have HDMI, there are a few that don't. These were the docks http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=17032737 The cable we tried was like that but a cheaper one. We need the cables to be from the dock to the faceplate, as we just want one lead to the laptop. Currently we are all Dell laptops and E-Docks which work perfect, but are replacing the laptops. -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
Have people had any issues with USB-C docks and projectors? We're doing some testing and finding we are running into issues, all our faceplates have VGA which are current Dell docks are using and work perfectly, these newer USB-C docks seem to not have VGA ports so we've tried displayport to VGA leads and the projector shows a picture but at 640x480 resolution. Not what we need. We have HDMI runs on the faceplates but finding not all of them work, so ideally wanted to stick with VGA as we know it works. -
Have you checked out https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy#AutoMountTeamSites You can auto sign in OneDrive, but I haven't tested the sync of team SharePoint etc. We are only just getting to grips with OneDrive and getting staff to save everything in that folder. We are pushing on with it and implementating known folder move after Easter and hopefully removing home drives. Staff only at this point
-
OneDrive to be root of home drive
mullet_man replied to ReverentCreature's topic in How do you do....it?
Am in exactly the same position, have you done any testing as yet? I ran into an issue where because I had GPs with folder redirection set, KFM wouldn't work. Your folder redirection just needs to be Not Configured so the laptop documents are local for KFM to be able to redirect the folders to OneDrive. I've created a test OU and have moved some new starters and test laptops into it with KFM move setup and so far not had any problems so far. Am lucky as it looks like we might be able to replace staff laptops soon so i can kill two birds with one stone and get rid of home folders and move to OneDrive for users documents. -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
I wouldn't be surprised if some of them manage to damage the ports, we had to replace a lot of docks due to them somehow destroying the pins on the docks. Had a couple of laptops die due to am guessing shorting due to power pins crossing and being bent. Am still not sure what are plan is it might be HP, Lenovo or Dell but I'll have a look. I hadn't planned PXE booting but it's something to consider so thanks for the heads up! -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
Thanks Arthur. How durable are USB-C cables/ports - teacher proof? -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
Thanks Arthur I'll have a look when we get a USB-C dock and laptop to have a test. Have you not deployed out the network driver or is that not your device manager pic? -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
Thanks Arthur. Having used the Dell E-Docks for the last 5 years I've not needed to look at any USB type ones. How about for LAN/Sound, we will be using USB, LAN and sound on the USB-C docks too. -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
We've had our fair share of problems with the Dell docks, mostly due to design changes between the E5530 and E5550 models where the dock position was changed which meant a lot of docks where damaged due to teachers struggling to get the laptop in the correct place. Dell released a dock spacer which helped the issue but was another expense. We do get the odd issue where you need to undock the laptop and then re-dock to get it to display on the projector, happens a few times a week we find. I've used USB style docks in the past at a previous job and when teachers moved around rooms the laptops tried to re-install the drivers which caused issues and delayed the teacher getting setup for the lesson. Do USB-C ones require drivers? -
Laptop Docking Stations - What do you think?
mullet_man replied to ICTDirect_Dave's topic in Our Advertisers
Haven't Dell stopped doing the old E Dock type connection type laptops? We've had Dell laptops and docks for nearly 7 years over which has worked with E5520, E5530 and our newer models E5550 and E5570. We found the 5580s dropped the E and don't have dock connectors. We are in a position to hopefully replace laptops so it's going to have to be a whole or nothing type thing, so are looking at laptops with USB-C. Am very new to these type docks do they work with any model of laptop just as long as they support USB C? We don't want to be stuck to one brand of laptop if the usb C docks are universal? In a few months I'll probably have plenty of Dell E-Series docks going spare if anyone has any use for them. Cheers -
[ms office - 2016] Office 365 Click to Run: Device based activation
mullet_man replied to KevinB's topic in Office Software
SCCM tells me 3 is installed, am happy to license against the user for staff. All have there own laptop and just needs to keep access to the internet to stay activated? That's OK for me. -
[ms office - 2016] Office 365 Click to Run: Device based activation
mullet_man replied to KevinB's topic in Office Software
For shared activation where do I find the activation's in O365 admin? I've tested 3 installs and am planning on rolling it out for staff, but want to make sure all of sudden they all don't activate or lose activation randomly. -
Am keeping with 1803, seems to work fine and not had any issues. Might look to upgrade people to 1809 at some point but am going to skip making an image of 1809 I think. Think I'll make a new image yearly so next one will be 190X and then just use SCCM to upgrade to other releases. That's my plan at the minute anyway
-
Staff On-boarding & Off-boarding process
mullet_man replied to IT_JB's topic in How do you do....it?
We have Salamander too it's easily the best piece of software we pay for and it's very cheap for all it does for us. We have it setup so that any new starters are created put into correct OU and then a email is sent to our help desk with a account list document, we just need to manually create a few things and update the document which can then be printed out. Leavers automatically get disabled and put into a leavers OU. Can't recommend salamander highly enough -
I've not got to that point as yet but it's something I might have to do soon.
-
Am hoping that a some point I'll have my IPU task sequence at a point where I can let it do it in the wild, am at a point my where task sequence Updated the BIOS Upgrades Windows Applies the latest driver packs Am lucky as am all Dell laptops for staff so with the awesome Driver Automation Tool it adds the latest BIOS and drivers to SCCM and I just need to adjust my task sequence. It helps too I've got about 5 different models so not too many to adjust a few things here and there.
-
Straight away I've got the mapped drives issue. Am not sure I'll push this version out anyway, 1803 seems stable enough. Am still trying to get back staff laptops with 1607 on so I can update them!!
-
I've noticed that on versions before 1809, I haven't tested 1809 as yet (due to the issues) It could be that 1809 it's made the issue worse? Anyway am testing a laptop now with a IPU with SCCM. Lets see if it delete's the documents haha
-
Use shared OneDrive folder as ‘Staff Share Drive’
mullet_man replied to Nausing's topic in Cloud Services
That sounds like a silly way to go about it?! Anyway if you have O365 you should create a SharePoint site, and then you can auto map to it using GPO https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy Think it's the section about mapping team sites. Granted I haven't done much with SharePoint myself but pretty sure it will be the way to go in the future. There is a SharePoint migration tool from Microsoft which will handle all the moving of your current file shares to SharePoint and sort out permissions etc. Hopefully someone with more experience with SharePoint will be able to offer more advice -
If I remember correctly power plans can be set for both computer and user. Are you setting both?
