Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mullet_man

Members
  • Posts

    2,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mullet_man

  1. We've just purchased P1 Azure licenses based on our FTE count, where do these then cover students? I only have the amount available that is our FTE count?
  2. Thanks will check it out, a quick scan this link says you need a min of 3 servers. The Microsoft links says only 1 is needed?
  3. I've just tried to implement and ran into the same firewall issue as @localzuk Followed the Microsoft guide exactly. Could browse to the Azure app page, login, see remote apps but then clicking remote brought up the firewall error. I've had to revert back the changes as only had a few hours downtime to try and get this sorted so will have to have another go one day.
  4. This seems to have sorted a laptop that was charging via the dock but not projecting. Thanks for the heads up on this as it could be really useful for future random issues.
  5. I think the issue we've had this is the teachers are moving classrooms every lesson, so your getting 5 potential plug ins and 5 pull outs each day. Normally a teacher might plug in once in the morning and leave laptop plugged in all day. I've bought some of the contact cleaner spray that might fix one issue I have, but others one has a something that's fallen in the port from inside it looks like. When I ever get five mins I'll have a look by taking the thing apart.
  6. We didn't go for the extended warranty stupidily which might be looking like a bad move on our part. But like you say am wondering if HP would becoming wise to the constant logging of broken USBC ports.
  7. Thanks will get one of these, I do have one laptop that is charging via the dock but doesn't display. This might help!
  8. Touch wood we've not had any electrical problems with the laptops as yet, but it might explain why a few docks have stopped working I thought it was the cables initially. Our main issue is sound, a lot of the time it doesn't work and you have to either restart the laptop or uninstall the sound card drivers to get it working again.
  9. I'll have a look, I might take the back off and see if I can get at the port that way maybe and see what has fallen in? Yeah we are using USB-C docks replacing the old style docks you use to still the laptop onto (that seems to be a thing of the past) Our docks are the HP Universal USB-C Docks and the cables are hardwired and not user replaceable so I've got 4 docks that are not working, wondering if I could solder a new cable in it's place?!?! I like the one cable but am not sure on it's durability, but the big problem we have here is every teacher moves every lesson, which is causing the extra strain on cables and ports.
  10. Yeah sometimes you've got just say is it worth all this time. Could it just be as simple as showing staff how to delete this person from the autocomplete and asking everyone to do it?
  11. We are nearly two years into laptops using USB-C docks and now starting to experience issues, broken dock leads and now a couple of ports on laptops being damaged due to wear and tare. Any ideas what this bit is that's in this port, it's blocking the cable going in, it seems like something from inside the laptop has collapsed into the port. Hopefully you can see from the image, am going to investigate it more tomorrow by opening up the laptop. It's a HP ProBook 450 G6. Cheers
  12. Last one https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html This might work, it says it can be used using command line so you'd need to script it to run for everyone?!
  13. Actually found this, you might be able to do it after all. Although this is an old script so might not work. http://msweany.blogspot.com/2014/01/office-365-remove-owa-autocomplete.html?view=mosaic&m=1 Edit : this might only work on OWA, so looking at this you might need to clear them both in OWA and locally in Outlook?
  14. I guess it depends just how important getting rid of the person is? Another theory, do the autofills stay in sync with name changes? Could you keep the account live and change the name to Joe Bloggs or something? Just a thought not sure if that would work.
  15. I'd love to hear the story of why this one person needs deleting off everyones Outlook haha In practice am not sure you'd be able to delete a specific entry, if you absolutely need this person removing you might be best running this command so it wipes everyone's autofill entities. Outlook.exe /CleanAutoCompleteCache https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/troubleshoot/contacts/information-about-the-outlook-autocomplete-list#how-to-remove-autocomplete-list-entries-one-at-a-time Think you might be able to delete the autocomplete database file too, obviously test it on one device first. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/import-or-copy-the-auto-complete-list-to-another-computer-83558574-20dc-4c94-a531-25a42ec8e8f0#importnk2
  16. Unfortunately I've had about 5 monitors smashed in our IT rooms just this year alone, 2 within the last few weeks. Laptop keyboards we are constantly replacing keys on too. The trouble we find here is damage isn't always reported when found so narrowing down who did it is really difficult.
  17. Thanks - the area we are in we are not expecting many to return if we request them back, if say the internet stopped working on them then I'd expect we might see more return to be reset. We are not sure what are plan is as yet. Cheers.
  18. Question for anyone who might know the answer Once the devices Intune and Umbrella licenses expire will the laptop still be usable? Still browse the internet? The devices will stop getting Windows updates I think?
  19. It's not 2003 anymore tell them hahaha
  20. We use HP ProBook 450 G6 (nearly 2 year old now) They are i5, 8gb RAM, 256 M2 drives and we use the HP Universal USB-C docks and so far they have worked fine but now in our 2nd year and due to the fact teachers are moving every lesson I've had to replace about 6 docks due to broken USB-C cables the problem with these docks is the cable isn't user replaceable so a broken cable end means broken dock, am thinking USB-C extenders might be a cheaper way as they would be a tenner to replace rather than 200 quid. So far I've had one laptop with a broken USB-C port too. If you go for similar I'd look for docks with user replaceable USB-C cables.
  21. Thanks for this, I found deleting the OfficeFileCache folder was all we needed to do. But it keeps doing it now which is very annoying. Is this an Office 365 issue or a SIMS issue?
  22. I have a lot of devices on 1809 still so wanted to jump straight to 20H2 just so it's not something I have to do every year as our problem is getting hold of staff laptops to actually do the upgrade as am not brave enough to say to staff they can do it themselves. We are in the process of upgrading student devices so that will be done over the coming months as it's easier to do them over holidays etc. Issues so far have been the certificate problem, but fortunately that was while I testing my task sequence so no major issues and now sorted with updated ISO. But my current issue is a Synaptics HID driver issue in the 20H2 driver pack for ProBook 450 G6 laptops during an update it manages to install the driver but the driver doesn't meet 20H2 more strict requirements for driver signing. I've pinged HP but it's really difficult getting through to the right person. If I imagine the same laptop fresh with the same driver pack the Synaptics HID driver doesn't install and you get the yellow exclamation saying the driver has been blocked. The upgrade must allow the driver to install somehow, and it makes the laptop pretty unusable by disabling the keyboard, usb ports and I can't access it remotely I have to disable driver enforcement to get the laptop working. Uninstalling the broken driver brings the laptop back again. I need to see if I can remove that driver from the driverpack, as am not sure how long it will be before HP release a new one. Never had problems with Dell laptops as I have had with HP.
  23. You say 20H2 have you updated any yet to this? As this has a bug which completely wipes out certificates stored on the local machine so you need to ensure your using the Jan ISO (IIRC) which has it fixed. Any reason your not doing straight to 20H2? Am in the process now of upgrading ours to 20H2, a few bumps along the way so far with HP drivers.
  24. It's very annoying it would be nice if it removed itself once Office was installed or it was replaced by the Outlook icon. I see a few staff using it as they've obviously clicked the mail icon and then signing into there emails.
×
×
  • Create New...