Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mullet_man

Members
  • Posts

    2,035
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mullet_man

  1. I know that's what I thought when searching for them as it would be perfect for a school environment, where teachers are moving every lesson like we have at the minute.
  2. Some claim data too, I might buy one and test it. Could be a game changer really as it would hopefully protect both our non changeable usb c dock cables and the port in teacher laptops from damage.
  3. I use to create an image with CS6 backed in because it took so long too, but am starting to not include it now and only deploy Photoshop and Acrobat as no uses any of the other packages and it uses up a lot of space on smaller SSD/M2 drives.
  4. Wondering if anyone has tested those magnetic USB-C adapters? You would put a adapter in the teachers laptop and one on the dock end. Am wondering if this would solve my issue of broken dock usbc cables.
  5. All the schools I've worked for have had staff laptops, ours is currently Laptops local AD connected, sccm managed. (No VPN or azure AD as yet) OneDrive KFM for docs SharePoint/Teams for shares RDS for SIMS USB-C docks in all rooms for connections All works fine for us, usbc docks am not sure how long will last as teachers move around each lesson so these are getting bashed at the minute.
  6. I took the drivers from a yet to be imaged Dynabook, ours are a different model number to yours but had similar issues with the drivers missing when I imaged one. The support site lists the laptop but has no drivers on it, I tweeted them but they never got back in touch. Do yours have those awful chargers? Without the brick? No idea where I'd get replacements for them if they die.
  7. For the amount of hours a whole team of staff will have to do, and if the Wonde system helps reduce that dramatically then I think that's a fair price.
  8. I might ask Salamander to implement this for us as we've had one parent who insisted they didn't recieve these emails and I had to open a call with MS to do some Powershell magic to get the guardians removed from this pupil in SDS. But I have another problem which am not sure doing this would fix, I have a kid who has 3 parents synced and this third parent who needs deleting will not remove from SDS. They are no longer linked in SIMS and the CSV's created by Salamander doesn't have said parent but they are still on SDS and linked to this pupil. Frustrating as the emails should not really be going to this person. Any ideas before I open a call with Microsoft?
  9. Randomly this seems to have stopped now, it was starting to become a big issue but now seems to have sorted itself out. Not sure why but grateful either way.
  10. I think the issue is our meetings are mostly set as reoccurring, I think it's a mix of this new setting, reoccurring meetings and kids hitting join as they already have access to the chat. Like as the meeting has had its setting changed this is the issue.
  11. Hi all, Have a big problem recently with students leaving chats, students try to join a meeting but sit waiting in the lobby, they leave the lobby and try again for example and the teacher lets them in but it then says it can't join the call. If you look at the chat for the meeting it says they've left the conversion? The teacher then has the invite them back in manually. Anyone seeing this? I have a theory it's due to this new chat setting where you can set the chat to happen only during a meeting. Just wondering if others have had issues like this?
  12. I'll do some googling at some point, it doesn't sound too difficult to do.
  13. These are created via Salamander, you just need to make sure they don't publish them in your address book. One of my jobs is to work out how to do separate address books for staff and students. Staff can keep the global one but need a slimed down for students that just has maybe staff and students and no groups etc. I heard some schools don't allow students to see other students in other years which might be worth a look at.
  14. Am not sure how it would handle a timetable change, I think it was set to add the event on once and then not re apply it each night. Am not sure how timetable changes are dealt with currently would it delete all old ones and future ones or just do future ones from the date of the change?
  15. We had this and I believe the issue was Salamander reverting calendar entries, I knew about this behaviour before this as we had a teacher who liked to keep notes on his calendar but they were getting lost when Salamander synced each night. So a while back Salamander made some changes so that users in a certain AD group the calender entries were added once and not reapplied each night. So I've added all our teachers to this group so this isn't happening anymore. Althouh I do think Microsoft have had issues recently as staff have mentioned missed meetings, had one today who couldnt create reoccurring meetings in Teams came up with an error but the event was still being created.
  16. If anonymous access turns off external people being able to join meetings then I can't turn it off, we have lots staff who meet with outside agencies and other schools etc. Doesn't the name appear with Guest next to it? Staff will just need to ensure they don't invite guests into the lesson.
  17. So we've just run into this today, students are sending out the meeting link to their mates at other schools and some teachers have admitting them (mistakingly) The issue we have here is we want to be able to schedule the lessons via meeting invites as we are collapsing classes down so the teachers are teaching maybe 4 classes together so using the meet now wouldn't work as that is per class? We make use of the lobby feature so I guess we need to make sure teachers are aware of the situation and not to invite any guests.
  18. How did I not know about this? Anyone know what the extra sync for SDS gives you? I've filled in a form to enable it for our tennat but can't seem to see what extra info it gives you.
  19. I've just checked as I think our head is planning a Q&A with parents before we return next (if we do) and we do still have the ability to create a Live Event. Not sure what to do? Get an A3 purchased just incase we lose the ability soon?
  20. So A1 customers will lose Live Events ability? It was extended to the end of the year and we have used it many times so I think we will be buying at least one A3 license as I suspect we will do more events in 2021. Thanks for the heads up as I missed that.
  21. Yes so we've got setup parent email groups for all classes and forms, not sure how well known they are as they are not in our address book so they are not abused but some staff do request it. You might be able to do some rules in Exchange to flag the email if it comes from a parent but no idea how you would do that. Am not sure how much emailing happens between teacher and parent?! Cheers.
  22. Sorry do you mean SDS in Teams? Or just Salamander? We don't have guardian of pupil email setup but you have given me that idea, we do have distribution groups for parents based on forms/classes.
  23. We had one parent who insisted we removed them from the weekly emails, so I had to contact MS who then talked me through that script to remove said parent. It would be nice if there was a bit more controls over the weekly emails as it seems it's an all or nothing type deal.
  24. I had a teachers laptop that refused to to accept a dock via the USB-C port and I've left it off for about a week and tested it today and it's working fine. Frustrating but glad it's not a broken port, I guess it's some sort of electric discharge that happens or something random like that? We've had similar with the docks, they refuse to work wait a few days and they then work fine.
  25. We have HP laptops and HP USB C Docks, they work fine but we've had about 5 docks that have died for whatever reason. I have one laptop that I need to see why but it's stopped working when connected to a dock, the port looks fine so not sure what's up. Am worried how well they will hold up as it's only been a year and a half so far so not sure how well the docks and ports will hold up. Currently staff are moving every lesson so thats putting more stress on the ports with the cables being plugged and unplugged every lesson.
×
×
  • Create New...