-
Posts
2,035 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mullet_man
-
Yes vide is working, that's a great site you've got and I suspect it deals with a lot easy issues you get early on with new starters etc. We've got a lot of guides and information but it's not in a place that's accessible for staff or students, you've given me an idea to at least to attempt something similar. Thanks really appreciate you taking the time to show your site.
-
Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge
mullet_man replied to Arthur's topic in IT News
I also said I was holding off deploying but if I knew I could turn on syncing at a later date then I would deploy Edge now if users didn't click yes to sync. -
Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge
mullet_man replied to Arthur's topic in IT News
I think this is coming, I exchanged a few tweets with someone who must be working on Edge at Microsoft who said they are working at "making on prem sync great" his words. I asked for the sync to be able to turned on via Group Policy. -
Thanks! Yes please thanks. Is your site a college, just wondering why you have a connecting to projectors for students?! Thanks.
-
That looks amazing, what is the site built on? Is that aimed at both students and staff?!
-
Migration from network shares to SharePoint storage
mullet_man replied to hanmark's topic in Cloud Services
That's a good idea, not used document libraries in SharePoint as yet! -
I get this error TasksetRunner|Result was Failed for task 'Install Workstation Patch Files' with message 'Failed to patch as file C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\CacheProcesses.dll is in use'|UpdateProgress() The file isn't in use as I can rename it fine?!
-
These are the files it's extracting, although the patch isn't installing on the server it's failing on Workstation install. Saving the cacheprocess.dll is in use or something. Think I need to reboot the server and try again. As it's not finishing the patch install am wondering if this is the issue!?!
-
The extract of the patch is just a few files and an updated Pulsar.exe so not sure what it possible to push it out that way
-
Thanks I've just found the fix, we run SIMS without Solus for the clients so am not sure how my clients will pick up the patch?!
-
I've upgraded to this last night and now got staff who are having this issue, did Capita ever fix it?! The workaround seems quite a long way round
-
We've just had to roll with the duplicate desktop icons, if staff log on a different laptop it creates a new edge icon. Saw one of our supply cover teachers who swaps laptops often have about 14 Edge icons haha
-
Migration from network shares to SharePoint storage
mullet_man replied to hanmark's topic in Cloud Services
I've started this hopefully am going about it the right way or at least a way that will work and be sustainable in the long run. We have a school Team site setup so I've created a Staff Files Channel Subject Files Channel Then am going to migrate our general staff files share into the staff files channel - this I will GPO out for all staff to have as part of their Windows Explorer. Subject Files - this will have each subjects documents they save on the file server. This will just need staff to click Sync and sync the folders they require access too, rather than GPO as it would be difficult to manage this. We are already using OneDrive for staff to backup their documents on their laptops so in theory staff should be able to make the transition quite easily. My only worry is speed, how do large files work with SharePoint e.g. video files? -
I guess if you had enough laptops you assign 1 laptop to the pupil that they only use. Not sure how that works in practice but it could be an option. Another option is maybe allow the kids to bring in their home devices? Not sure just an idea?
-
Migration from network shares to SharePoint storage
mullet_man replied to hanmark's topic in Cloud Services
We are thinking now our staff are onboard with Teams and working from home, it would be the perfect time to try move our staff share onto SharePoint. We have lots of staff who use our remote server just to access files that are on network shares, when ideally it's best on sharepoint. -
SIMS - RemoteApp - Minimises on opening
mullet_man replied to mullet_man's topic in Windows Server 2016
I did look into all that and never managed to get it any better -
They would need setting up, and how many do you buy as we don't know how many kids will turn up each day. It's a total mind field all this but I'll add buy each kid a laptop to the list, we do need laptops as we are using 8 year old laptops in lots of areas so could be a good idea in the long run.
-
MS Teams - Weekly Parental/Guardian Digest Email
mullet_man replied to stebo730's topic in Cloud Services
Thanks stebo730 - we currently only have whole year group teams with channels for each subject and teachers post work to day. We haven't made us of the assignments feature as yet. We will be going SDS at some point. Thanks I'll have a look at the ipad mock up. -
I get all the points raised and I've only been asked to look at what can be done, it doesn't actual mean the school will go for it. I would suspect this is only for the Year 10s if they come back before summer, but we might have to keep some of the social distancing and cleaning/face masks/gloves as part of daily life for a while yet. Before the lockdown we had introduced cleaning hands routine into the day and I would expect this to be part of the school norm for a while yet. I do see the point to not use Technology but we obviously have coursework to be done, online courses, computing lessons so it's not easy just to stop all forms of computer usage. It's a massive unknown but I would suspect each school will have to come up with a plan in place for computer use at some point so having some ideas to float around for SLT to decice is all we can do at the minute.
-
We'd have to make sure the pupils wear gloves for the mice, but with it being airborne am not sure if the school will insist the pupils wear face masks of some kind?!
-
That's a good idea, they would need a mouse as well? So we could take away all the computers keyboards and mice and issue each kid their own which they use and keep, they could in theory plug them into laptops to use as well!?! I'll add this idea onto my list, thanks.
-
Hi all, I've been asked to see how we could facilitate the return of students and the issues of using computers/laptops? Some ideas are Clean the devices after each use - not practical I would guess devices would still need cleaning after each use to fully stop any spread of germs. Students have to wear gloves - I guess this would still require the devices to be cleaned after each use. Disposable keyboard covers https://www.premiumplusuk.com/product/158-108-keyboard-sleeves/ - 1 use and replace after each lesson? Use with gloves as well for extra protection? Anyone have any other ideas?
-
MS Teams - Weekly Parental/Guardian Digest Email
mullet_man replied to stebo730's topic in Cloud Services
Is this part of SDS? We haven't moved to that yet, its on my to do list but this would be pretty good feature. Does anyone have an example of what information is emailed to parents? Do you need to use the assignments feature? -
SIMS - RemoteApp - Minimises on opening
mullet_man replied to mullet_man's topic in Windows Server 2016
It is strange, do you do anything different to me for the remoteapp? Do you point it to Pulsar instead of SIMSload? -
SIMS - RemoteApp - Minimises on opening
mullet_man replied to mullet_man's topic in Windows Server 2016
I've never been able to get to the bottom of the minimising SIMS remote app issue, if I load SIMS normally on the server it works and opens fine. I do recall you'd get a hung state now and then and when you re-size the window it would work fine. Still it's bug me for ages, and I've even tried a Windows Server 2019 RDS server which does the same. Very strange
