caffrey
Members-
Posts
4,763 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by caffrey
-
We were with Smoothwall for a long time, and it just became stagnant. There was promises of better reporting etc. that just didn't materialise, plus the cost was increasing. So we moved to Netsweeper and the reporting is just as terrible and it seems to over block a lot especially on keywords etc. still I don't really get any complaints from end users. Not sure what to do next, with everything that's happening with security on the internet, MITM filtering may become a thing of the past in the near future (and installing certs on devices is a pain anyway) - maybe DNS filtering is the way forward but I just don't know.
-
At home Glorious PC Gaming Race GMMK TKL with gateron browns Glorious PC Gaming Race Model O USB RGB Odin Gaming Mouse At work I use some logitech wireless thing, I have a IBM model M to use too but it drives everyone nuts And I've an old corsair K65 that I may take to work I had a corsair M65 mouse and it was terrible
-
Perfect, Internet down the day before for a day and now this. Go to the cloud they said, it'll be fun they said IT is rubbish
-
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Not going into the full story but I still don't have a working backup line because of the support -I'd just rather not deal with it -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Thanks Dave, and thank you for all the regular communication yesterday -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Seems to be working now - phew -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Well it's 9pm and it's still down - so that's 16 hours and counting. I really hope it's up in the morning as results are due in and I'll no doubt get it in the neck, I know it's not SBBs fault but still mightily frustrating... -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Not here, oh well hometime anyway -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I've just caught up with my shredding... -
Schools Broadband In-line Filter down?
caffrey replied to snagrat's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Is it ever coming back? I'm bored now -
What on earth was that?, that wasn't Arby and Lee
-
Copy data keeping ALL security permissions etc...
caffrey replied to Martstone's topic in Windows Server 2016
I always add a few retries and waits to that eg. /R:10 /W:30 -
Always used kenable for our cables cheap and cheerful with no issues
-
I only learn by doing it myself, I was going to do some Google courses but they change things every five minutes so I didn't bother
-
Got to the bottom of it, but looking for a fix for some reason windows defender has blocked it but now I'm trying to unblock it... I've added the process exclusion to GPO but still nothing. It's weird how it's working for others though Got it working, had to add a path exclusion, for some reason the process exclusion didn't want to work Why on earth it was blocked only on one machine I've no idea
-
Got an issue with some software on one particular laptop Running the exe from the network share causes a "windows cannot access the exe error" I copied it locally andI get the windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item error It works for everyone else so the permissions are correct on the server, I'm wondering if its the start of a hardware fault...
-
Staff and student with the same name
caffrey replied to enjay's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Student surnames are all uppercase here, also the profile photo is set to a specific image for students that they can't change (Google) And different colours depending on account status Student account logins are named differently too -
I know the Wacom One doesn't... You would think they would just come up as a mouse but no You would think there was a market for this but I guess they just rely on touchscreen chromebooks
-
Yeah, some teachers are asking about annotations on screen, I don't even think a touchscreen chromebook would even help. I wonder if a "pen" would work on the standard touchpad I see there's some by a company called jelly comb but they are expensive
-
Something like wacom tablets but compatible with a non touch screen Chromebook. We have a wacom tablet here that just does nothing when plugged in. (Wacom One)
-
Interesting, might be time to get the School to upgrade the NVR, mind you the NVR we have is an old server which I set up to test one camera and it ended up running all of the CCTV... I've not upgraded the software in a while so I guess it'll just keep working with no updates regardless.
-
Yep my bad, no idea where I got 120" from (Probably from my old setup at home)! Probably would be looking at 65-75" Just had a quick look round, there's some serious heft to the touchscreens - worth considering if your walls are made of cheese
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
caffrey replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
I think the world is trying to tell us something https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-53303457 -
I'm not sure how flat screens work in regards to size, until there are cheap 120" LCD displays I can't see me putting them in classrooms anytime soon. I like the idea of Jamboards etc. but the expense is far too prohibitive. Don't get me wrong I can't wait to ditch projectors but they are cheap (almost a consumable).
-
I don't really want to do it over summer as it'll miss out a few laptops - I'd rather get the fallout while they are still in school. Might make it a lazy Sunday job
