Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

bobsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,225
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by bobsmith

  1. I had this issue this week too. I had assigned personnel assistant as an extra permission and then her password was showing as reset! Hmmmm..... I've changed peoples permissions tonnes of times before and not had this issue. Could this be the latest SIMS update doing this?
  2. Depending on your attendance setup it might have no effect on attendance. If you're reporting Session Attendance rather than Lesson Attendance then you should be fine. Also I thought most reports ignore the blank registers. If the student isn't due in as their first lesson is a study period what are you doing for their attendance mark at present?
  3. I introduced the M code to distinguish between them. It's actually gone done well with our SEN team as it helps them identify them quickly too. The M code is just an alias for the N code for census purposes - but to the staff it means "SEN Monitoring" which just means we are aware that they are truly ex-SEN.
  4. We timetabled it as a new subject "independent learning" - however we then employed someone to supervise it while also doing the 6th form administration - it's working brilliantly. Even if you only timetable it, you don't HAVE to go round and chase the kids - you could leave the register blank.... Of course you are stretching a point if you're claiming it's supervised if it's not....
  5. Just started the onboarding process. I'm hoping it transforms the process (currently Excel )
  6. SIMS Assessment Manager is not a separate program - it's just that SIMS uses some very old terminology which is a hangover from it's evolution over the years. "Focus - Assessment" is the route to get into all the bits that comprise Assessment Manager. Do your staff currently record any assessment data in SIMS?
  7. I've just tried your trick @Seb1780 - it sort of works.... The N's have certainly disappeared from the standard reports I run, though what it's actually done is ended their SEN status of N on the effective date provided when running the bulk update. This makes life easier - but I'd still want to run the patches to remove the historical statuses for those students where they've never had a need at all.
  8. However N's are not reported in the "pupil sen report" within the Census - so while there is a distinction - I'm 99% sure it doesn't have any real world impact. I want to get rid of the 370!! false N's that we've inherited and hopefully the patch is released to us shortly. It makes it a pain explaining to some staff that some N's mean that the student has a SEN history but most don't!
  9. This is the correct place - welcome to Edugeek! You've got to be very clear about what you want SISRA to do for you in this situation. You're certainly adding filters that I haven't, largely because I couldn't find value in it. However it all depends on what your needs are. You can't upload it as assessment data (well not easily - you'd have to make a new set of subjects such as "English - Effort" and "Maths- Behaviour") - if you want to use the full analysis abilities of SISRA. However if the intention was to GROUP the attendance - so have attendance bands, and then examine the progress 8 and other academic measures filtering by different attendance groupings then that would be somewhat sensible and easily done in SISRA. The catch is that you're gonna have to manipulate your SIMS report output in excel BEFORE uploading to SISRA. SISRA has a hard limit of 10 categories within any filter - so your attendance groupings would have to conform to that. As for behaviour - if you treated it the same way then some kind of average would seem reasonable - again you're going to have to band it into less than 10 groups. As for the SIMS side of things, averaging is a built in function you can use in marksheets - but not in a report. So you'd possibly have to set up a marksheet with all the effort columns showing, apply an average and store the result in a new aspect. You could then extract that in your SISRA student data output. Does this all make sense so far?
  10. quick answer: nope* *unless they've been hiding this from me very well indeed
  11. don't make the kid leave! Has Capita support not offered a solution?
  12. agreed with your last paragraph RootSchImp however you can adjust the targets in FFT and it'll show the % likelihood of getting a better or worse grade. You can use that to fine tune them to eliminate that issue to a large degree. Also if you're using FFT5 then you're targeting based on how those students perform in the top 5% of schools, which if you're not in the top 5% of schools already, adds a healthy dose of aspiration to the targets. It's definitely better than a lot of targeting systems I've seen used. I've been in the situation where the head wanted everyone targeted at 3LoP!!!
  13. If you go into your year 8 template you should have some columns for data capture with a resultset like "Year 8 Autumn". If on that template you add in a read only aspect with the resultset "Year 7 Summer" you should be pulling through the year 7 data for the current year 8s. The effective date is a red herring if you are using resultsets differentiated by year group.
  14. Yep - Wonde wanted more access because their extract wasn't working. I'm still refusing to give them the SIMS permissions they ask for since that's almost as much access as I have! However this time I've had a better explanation of how they are pulling data: 1. they are using the API rather than the scheduled reports that get imported to SIMS, so they have access to whatever their permissions grant them access to. 2. they are going to be changing how they access due to the GDPR stuff coming out, but it hasn't happened yet.
  15. Totally agree, however the rules for qualifying for Free School Meals are reasonably straight forward - if you knew you qualified and wanted to save loads of money by having the government pick up the tab for your child's lunches (£2.20 a day at current rates?) you might be more inclined to do so. If you know that you DON'T qualify then you wouldn't hand it over anyway. That said the best method has got to be to provide access to those parents that don't have IT access (or need help doing 21st century stuff).
  16. If you've re timetabled their lessons onto another member of staff it's no longer cover. Hence you can't see it through cover. Staff absence can be reported on by itself, but not in the context of cover. Not all absences generate cover.
  17. From memory the official DfE calculation is total number of sessions present divided by total number of sessions possible. It's not an average of each individual students % attendance or anything that fancy.
  18. To hide the reasons you can go to Tools - Cover - Global Settings - untick "Include Reason for Assignement" under item 3 Location Path.
  19. just like any other subject - it classes of less than 30 and based on who is actually teaching them. If there are set changes then our admin staff do them. It can be a chore if they change more often than any other subject but it's the "right" way of doing things. I presume your PE department don't take electronic lesson registers?
  20. I've found that making them class teacher is the easiest way. As they are DBS checked etc there's no security issue with giving them the same access rights as teaching staff.
  21. Guest students don't have AM/PM attendance by definition (they aren't on your roll) They can be tracked via lesson monitor for timetabled periods however. If you want a proxy for AM/PM just set up registration periods on the timetable and track those.
  22. they do now, I think this summer is the first time I've seen them.
  23. Have you tried a report with student focus, add everything under "exams" and put a filter on that subreport with date after June 2016 (or some relevant cutoff). you'll also want a report level filter for year group. I just knocked one up and it pulls all the results that we've got.
  24. make a marksheet or report in SIMS rather than exams organiser?
  25. Advanced Learning makes the software - and those are the only instructions I ever used....
×
×
  • Create New...