Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Patrick

Members
  • Posts

    1,111
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Patrick

  1. Afternoon! A while ago i had an email from BT telling me that Lightspeed MDM will soon be available for us to use. Anyone know when we can get going on this? Is it already in place but i just don't know it? CLEO is my provider. Bit of a loss as to where to look for this as i move between different schools. Thanks
  2. I think I could use it on my PC, Commands like "pause music" could be pretty handy. When I have lots of windows open and get flustered i'd like to just say "Windows, pause music" or something similar. But for it to be any use at all it would have to be always listening. If I have to push a button to make it listen, what's the point in it?
  3. Isn't Cortana on pretty much all windows phone 8 as a major update they did not too long back? I'm not sure because I haven't had a windows phone since WP7.
  4. In future versions of windows 10, Cortana will be voice control and interaction. It's a personal assistant on the PC built into windows. Look at Cortana on windows phone to see what it can do.
  5. Yeah but this is what it's all about. Problem solving. No one knows everything and we all have to reserach things and chat with others to learn!
  6. Remove a PC from domain and tes it. It really sounds like a GP proxy issue to me. Allow students to access internet options from control panel if you have it disabled in policy, log in as a student and check the connection settings in internet options. Check that they are the correct.
  7. Group policy object pushing an old outdated proxy to students? Check Group policy.
  8. Why use their addresses internally anyway? There must be a reason why they don't use one public address then NAT with private internal addresses. Is it for easier remote access to servers?
  9. I'm in the same boat. /24 subnet mask and starting to run out of addresses. Noob question. Why do we have to use countys internal IP range? Why can't the router have the 10.0.x.x etc address and then NAT to the whole school and use what ever address scheme we want?
  10. Thanks Michael, i'll keep my eye on that thread. Mods can close this if they wish.
  11. Afternoon! A few of our primary schools have been growing pretty quick recently and new devices are joining the network. The problem we have is that a few of them are starting to run out of IP addresses. We are not dangerously low, but we are another new batch of laptops/iPads away from only having a few left! The router and L3 switch is controlled by county right? Along with the CLEO network edge box. We have never had to touch any of the core network equipment as county handle it. Anyone any experience with asking them about changing the IP range or VLANing the network? Thanks
  12. Patrick

    Office 365

    I thought as much. Users currently just login using the link on mylgfl site, so I expect them to just change the hyperlink. I know there is some paper work being sent out about it, but I expect its all relating to the data protection act.
  13. Patrick

    Office 365

    Few of the primary schools we run have had letters from One connect or BT, or whatever they are calling themselves now that we are being moved over to Office 365. I haven't spoke to anyone from BT about it, but is there much we have to do at our end?
  14. Can you not just put it out through group policy? I installed the prerequisites (.net was tricky, has to set a slient shecedule task to run the .exe) and then just deployed the MSI.
  15. hmm i'll give that a check over.
  16. Sorry, i'm not understanding what you say. You mean i may need to do some CLI command on the macbook syncing to the iPad's?
  17. They don't show up at all. I have to end up going into the wireless in the settings menu and joining it manually. It doesn't say the key is wrong or any other error, just does nothing. Quite strange.
  18. Hi all, At a school we work at they have just bought around 30 iPad's. They have a mac book air and a sync/charge trolley. However, using the apple config software I am unable to get the iPad's to auto join the wireless network, which is a big issue as I don't really want to have to do it manually to them all. Does anyone have any ideas? it doesn't give me an error and the apps are getting deployed to the iPad's, just not the wireless. Anyone have a clue?
  19. That's pretty reassuring. On a side note, how easy is it upgrading to 2012? I'm guessing its a simple OS like upgrade, but how does AD react to the upgrade?
  20. Well, I feel a bit silly. I looked at the version of IE 11 installed (11.0.xxx), then I went back to the XML file and added the max support version to be 11.5.xxx, then the IE 11 clients started getting the proxy etc. Anyone know of any adverse effects from this? Apart from reaching the max version supported again? We plan to be on server 2012 after summer, and GPO supports it properly again? Thanks guys, I'm going to sae that reg edit just in case I need it! I have about 3 months experience as a network admin. Talk about thrown in the deep end. Haa.
  21. Ok having a bit of a disaster today. County council gave us the proxy address for the light speed filter system. Our server is running 2008 r2 sp1 and our client machines are running a mixture of IE 10 and 11 thanks to auto upgrade mistake. To push the new proxy out to the IE10 clients we modified the XML version support IE8 in GPO. This worked and IE 10 saw the new proxy. However, the XML modifications only seem to work on IE 10 and the clients that have now got IE11 are now using the old proxy now that policy no longer applies. This proxy has been switched off so now these clients have no internet connection. Anyone any ideas how I can get these back online without putting the proxy in manually, which could take days?
×
×
  • Create New...