Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. jamesb

    Tiscali

    Glad to see I'm not the only one having problems with them. After a week of phone calls to their 10p a minute tech support line (for which they are currently debating whether or not to refund me the cost) I've finally got them to accept its a fault either with the router or the line. On Friday it got to the point where they said they were going to send me a router, which would take three to five working days to arrive, so that I could check exactly where the fault lay and get an engineer out if necessary. After a small explosion on my part, during which the word OfCom was mentioned several times, they've arranged to send an engineer this evening - with the router that supposedly takes a week to arrive. If the engineer actually turns up I'll be impressed.
  2. Having had a quick look at their web site, I'm not entirely sure whether the targetting of work is covered by their web parts. I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere. I also didn't notice anything about parental access. Your best bet may be to contact Salamander about this and check that it is in fact possible. I could easily have missed these features in my quick browse of the site. However, if the assigning of work can't be covered you may want to have a look at this: SharePoint Learning Kit - Home
  3. I find sysinternals ADrestore to be the simplest, easiest of the tools to do this. Download, open command-line, run with the -r switch and choose which objects to restore.
  4. In which case there may be something wrong somewhere in your ADPS. Might be worth logging a case with Capita to get them to look into it. Most ADPS problems turn out to be something simple. Probably also worth having a look at the ADPS management page, that often helps. Or try restarting the SIMS ADP service on your ADP server.
  5. That'll be similar at least. Manually run that task and the user should appear within AD inside of a few minutes.
  6. Get a better bank. I get up-to-date information from mine whenever I call, including any pending transactions and so on. I expect to get that information as well, and would be more than a little angry if I transferred money I didn't have, or paid for a bill I couldn't afford, because their information isn't up to date.
  7. To get their details there are various reports that can be run, if you look in the appropriate focus categories. Alternatively have a look at your AD, find the provisioned user in there (will most likely be under something like SLG -> School name -> Users) and just change their password. Then you'll be able to log in with that username and password, and drop in their normal network account credentials to consolidate.
  8. In that case, if you go to IIS manager again but instead of attempting to browse to the site directory, browse to a particular file in the site does anything come up? If not, try making a simple HTML file while displays a test message, drop it into the virtual directory and try browsing to that. If none of the above works then it sounds like your alternate access mapping is faulty and would need looking at. If it does work then it may be something as simple as default documents not being set.
  9. Its easy, just buy the lower spec one, void your warranty by opening it up and put in the extra memory. Much cheaper than having Apple do it for you.
  10. If you go to http://localhost: on the server does it then bring up the its site?
  11. Why won't the software work without him doing this? Couldn't an exception be set up for that particular software? Still a lowering of security standard, but less so than switching the whole thing off.
  12. There others apart from Verisign and Thawte out there - InstantSSL for example is substantially cheaper and still accepted by most browsers.
  13. When did you set this policy? Might be worth finding one of the computers that's still synchronising and running gpupdate /force just to make sure its actually getting the latest version.
  14. That training is the harm. Sure, you may not consider that anyone would want to impersonate the identity of your site, but if you train users to just ignore those warnings then it won't just be on your site that they're ignoring them.
  15. At the moment, none. Coming to an arrangement with a small business though where they'll pay my internet connection costs, and for a decent pipe, and in return I'll host and support a couple of low-profile servers for them. Don't know whether its going to go through yet or not, but here's hoping.
  16. Is this the sort of thing you're looking for: How to move a certification authority to another server ?
  17. Levelling the playing field is easier when you just try to drag it all down to the same level, rather than build up the lower areas.
  18. You don't have to repay any of your student loan unless you earn more than a certain amount.
  19. In the school I worked in, so long as any one building was left standing then I could rebuild the entire network. In fact I wouldn't need to (other than obviously putting in new workstations and so on) since the network was capable of running from any one building without a particular problem. This was due to our, sometimes unreliable, fibre web which linked each building to at least two others. At any moment links might fall over for a few minutes, then pick back up so each building had to be capable of acting independently for a reasonable length of time. In the situation described, with one building left (out of six) I'd need to shuffle some FSMO roles, but data was mirrored to each building, each held a DC, and each could function independently for some time. Of course, if the entire site was destroyed then no, there wouldn't be much I could do as all the backup procedures in place would have been destroyed with it. I'm picturing this as a meteor shower, sounds more fun that way.
  20. While the survey looks good I notice it is targetted purely at teachers. I'd want to see a similar survey targetted at technical support staff, as these are the people who have to actually implement any resources which teachers request.
  21. Show me a facebook group which gives advice on, say as an example, teaching resources. A place like edugeek is much more comparable to something like linkedin than facebook. A technical resource and professional networking site, rather than one for social networking.
  22. Facebook myself, though I'm currently in the process of migrating away from that to Live Spaces.
  23. Decided I was feeling too lazy to install Windows Server on my spare machine, but managed to get it running on my Windows 7 laptop easily enough. Looks very good so far, I'll keep you updated on any new cocktails I add. It has reminded me how much I need to expands my cabinet though.
  24. I believe they changed the desktop backgrounds on the computers. Illegal in its own right.
  25. Thanks, that looks perfect. I've got a machine sitting doing nothing at the moment, and this looks like the perfect use for it.
×
×
  • Create New...