Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. He's fourteen, might be worth asking him what he'd like. He should at least get a full apology from the school I'd think.
  2. I'd imagine it would depend on the licensing arrangements you have. A site license you'd most likely need to get transferred to the new school site by contacting the supplier. Anything licensed per user or per computer would most likely just stick to the computer/user.
  3. I'd have to agree that it sounds like the PE teacher put him at risk here. You probably do have a claim for compensation, just don't get overly ambitious about the amount. If I remember correctly about £2000 is at the point where insurance companies will consider fighting a case rather than just paying out.
  4. jamesb

    New Job!

    Firstly, congratulations. Secondly my first tip is to set aside a few days to work through documentation on the school network, which is probably non-existent. If it is non-existent, use those days to have a look through how the whole thing is set up and structured, and take as many notes as you can on it all. They'll come in invaluable later on.
  5. I'm pretty much out of ideas now, since it seems that it may have lost connection to the SQL database. This blog may have an answer for you though: GeekSpeak: SharePoint MOSS 2007 - Renaming the farm's SQL Database Server This one might be useful as well: http://community.officesharepointpro.com/forums/thread/7947.aspx
  6. Just to check, did you do a full iisreset after doing the stop (which should ask if you're sure about uninstalling the search)? If so, is the SQL service running?
  7. Actually I'm thinking of doing that with the internals, putting them into some other device/case of my own design and seeing what happens.
  8. Try going through with the stop/start of the Office Sharepoint Search service, not forgetting to do a full iisreset between the two. Hopefully this should sort the problem. If not, let me know what happens.
  9. I'm hopeful, its actually got me planning to buy a new laptop once it comes out. My other babies, of course, are staying on Linux.
  10. Oh come on, everyone loves pointless gadgets.
  11. That's a possibility I hadn't even thought of. Hmm. The economy's in the right state for entrepreneurs now, right?
  12. Thanks. I'll have a look when I get home to my unfiltered internet. If I can pull off the iPod repurposing I've got a box of old gadgets, computer parts and so on still sitting at home which I may move on to.
  13. Could be down to several things, but the main one I've come across is that the Office Search Service is stopped/down. If you go into SCA on the appropriate server for your Office Search Service, then stop it, perform an IIS reset and start it again does this resolve the error? Where exactly is this error coming up?
  14. Its one of the first generation classics, has about a five minute battery life, and I don't like eBay. Besides, my way's more fun.
  15. Following on from another thread with an idea, I'm now planning to see if I can repurpose my unused iPod for something else when I get home. My current thought it stripping out its guts and turning it into a cigarette case or business card holder, maybe even a wallet, but any other suggestions are welcome. Has anyone else tried something like this before, and possibly have some advice for me? Is anyone else thinking of repurposing gadgets for much more low-tech roles?
  16. I think we had someone else with the same problem just a little while ago. Anyway, if I remember correctly the fix was to run a few stsadm commands. Try these: stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs - forces any pending jobs to run stsadm -o enumssptimerjobs - lists the timer jobs that are running, should at least show you what's holding things up stsadm -o deletessptimerjob - deletes whichever job might be holding things up For more stsadm commands I recommend this page: Index for Stsadm operations and properties (Office SharePoint Server) Hope that this helps.
  17. Its not a problem scenario, its an undocumented security feature. You're restricting the machines where the data can be accessed to those you have authorized.
  18. I'd let them opt out from taking part. I'm not going to force some kid who takes four minutes to run the 100m be subject to the humiliation of the whole school knowing how unathletic they are. And yes, even if they were forced to take part I'd make sure they were given the option of not having their times published.
  19. If the usernames are calculated from the actual names of the students then you could probably write a quick bit of VBScript to import their full names to their user accounts appropriately. Best place for any VB script stuff is here: Welcome to the Script Center Otherwise all I can think of is the long data entry method.
  20. Not really my area, having only limited experience of Linux (though I do use it as my home operating system) but this post might help you with the bash script. UNIX BASH scripting: How to check folder size in linux - Linux Newbie
  21. Zergling rush!
  22. I've seen it done a few times. There are certain problems which can arise (most common one I've come across is to do with not having static IP addresses set), but other than that its no different from any other installation.
  23. Diverted MMS messages? Failed MMS upload/download? Video message left?
  24. Sounds like its trying to download/upload an MMS message, or at least sounds similar to my LG when its doing the same. Is it in the same place as you'd get your message notification?
  25. I just can't understand why someone would volunteer this sort of information. Maybe I'm a natural anarchist or turning into a luddite, but I only reluctantly joined facebook and this sort of public exhibitionism sincerely scares me. The idea of someone being able to look on their computer and track my every step, even if I can turn it on and off at will, is bone-chilling. On the other hand the idea that in emergency I could turn on a GPS tracker has an appeal.
×
×
  • Create New...