-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
They forgot to grit the wires, that's all. Couple of accidental pileups on the main trunk and everything grinds to a near halt.
-
I think in its way that's a perfectly justifiable reason to want to take your kid out of school. It snows rarely enough that it is somewhat of a special occasion, if I could get away with taking a day off I probably would, but I don't have any kids.
-
Or someone realises that of the 524 Windows distributions, Word only runs on 12, Access on 23, Excel on 7, World of Warcraft on 2, Internet explorer on 8, and so on.
-
We nabbed all the grit of course.
-
Since they've got multiple domain controllers it should be possible to clear down all traces of the failed one, and after a full reinstall of Windows and new name promote it as a new one (this is not Microsoft best practice by the way, I believe they recommend that once a domain controller has been forcibly removed it will be useful only as a paperweight).
-
Far from free I'm afraid but from what you're describing Windows 2008 TS Web Apps might be the type of thing you're looking for. I'm sure there's similar products which are free. Basically allows users to go to a website and run applications remotely on a terminal server. The application appears as though native to their own system rather than having a second desktop set up.
-
I have the feeling that there's no system state backup, or other backup, otherwise I doubt a reinstall would be used. Thing is that even if there is a backup it could well be corrupted, looking at the original error. But yep, in any other case yours is by far and away the easiest fix.
-
If you look at MManjra's post rather than the OP's then you'll see that he performed a reinstall rather than an image. The thread's gone a little adrift from the original topic.
-
I suspect the problem isn't so much the new server, as the old one. Demoting a new one with the same name will most likely only make the problem worse. To remove all traces of the failed domain controller you may want to look at this article: How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful domain controller demotion
-
Six to eight inches here... At work now. Bah.
-
Check in Active Directory Sites and Services I believe. I suspect you'll end up needing to remove the DC fully, then rebuild it as a brand new DC with a different name. You can get away with reintroducing it as the same one when you're restoring from a backup, not so much with a reinstall.
-
They're using a service that you're providing and hosting, and you've informed them that it may be monitored. Going into a kid's hotmail account would still contravene the act but unless you're falsifying evidence (or removing it, which doesn't apply in this case unless the e-mail's been read by the kid already) then I think you're fairly safe in your own e-mail environment.
-
With the knowledge and approval of the member of SLT in question, absolutely. In fact you'd probably be safer doing that than you would leaving it in place. Edit: Just don't look at any of the other messages in there, unless pupils have been told that e-mails may be monitored.
-
remove group policy restrictions from admin account?
jamesb replied to Halfmad's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Don't they allow internet access in jail these days then? Glad it was easier to sort out. -
MM, when you rebuilt it did you first remove all mentions of that DC from Active Directory? If not I suspect you're going to be hitting a lot of problems. It'd also be worth checking where your AD believes the FSMO roles to be held at the moment.
-
remove group policy restrictions from admin account?
jamesb replied to Halfmad's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
You may be able to do something with Directory Services restore mode. Microsoft describe how this can be used remotely, but it will take down your domain controller for a time. Restart the domain controller in Directory Services Restore Mode Remotely -
Check all of your DNS settings are correct on the server. Also might be worth checking that the ports for LDAP are not blocked (3389 if I remember correctly).
-
Is the server powered on and plugged into the network?
-
SIMS Mobile is one option and the SIMS web parts or the full Learning Gateway would be another. Tablet PCs, laptops or netbooks are another option I've seen being used, which SIMS should work on as on any other computer. It sounds like you're after having it on a PDA though so the Mobile module, or Learning Gateway would be your best option.
-
Not completely sure why System Manager wouldn't run, but FMS doesn't work on 64 bit architectures. Out of curiousity how'd you get around the errors which appeared, or did they not occur for you?
-
Just as a last thought, you might be able to kill the job with stsadm -o deletessptimerjob. I often find that even when the GUI doesn't work, stsadm will get them done. One of the most useful pages I've found is this: Index for Stsadm operations and properties (Office SharePoint Server) Full details of most of the stsadm commands.
-
Quite easily yes, the scripting guys at Microsoft explain this. I'll put up a URL in a sec. Edit: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/oct08/hey1020.mspx There you go. Gives some sample code and takes you through step by step how it works.
-
Are the working ones consistently working? Do any of them have a different service pack installed? If so this might be worth a look: A user is not successfully authenticated when NTLMv2 authentication is used on a Windows Server 2003-based IAS server
-
Other things you could try: stsadm -o Peoplepicker-getsiteuseraccountdirectorypath -url to ensure that its looking at the right path. stsadm -o Enumssptimerjobs -title to let you know what its actually trying to run, without bothering with that GUI stuff. stsadm -o Listlogginglevels - showhidden might help find out what's happening. I've been looking around and the standard Microsoft fix appears to be to recreate the shared services. How much do you have in the existing setup, and could you afford to start over? If not could you perform a backup of the sites in there, leaving out the security and user profiles, and re-import that into a new Shared Service?
