-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
At which point you lose everything else in the bank, not worth the cost for a little revenge. Not that a little revenge is wrong, but there are better ways. I'd suggest he takes the money and uses it to get a new identity, leave the country, and fortify himself somewhere isolated. The public tolerance of this sort of behaviour is near non-existent now.
-
What else would it be?
-
First against the wall...
-
Try and get in touch with some recruitment agencies near you, and job hunt constantly. Read classifieds in papers, search online, and look in the local jobseekers office whenever you get the chance. Last time I was on a serious job hunt (I was headhunted for my current one) I applied for an average of six a day, for three months. Its depressing, and disheartening, but eventually it should pay off.
-
Looks like Google is starting to show even more of their true colours. Google seeks starvation of growling watchdog ? The Register
-
I'd imagine (though don't quote me on this) that it'd be the standard SQL ports, 1433 is one of them, can't remember the others offhand. To check it you could use the osql command-line utility to connect directly to the SIMS database. However, allowing SQL ports to open directly to the external world strikes me as a security vulnerability. You might be better off setting up a terminal server and allowing people to connect that way.
-
From what I remember, a lot. The advantage for a secondary school though is that the license (if I remember correctly, it may be an additional license) allows them to host VLEs for their feeder schools for a reasonable fee.
-
Doesn't just apply in programming, any sort of project tends to suffer from feature creep, deadlines being moved closer, and unrealistic expectations. I've seen it happen in programming, database design, network design, and many other places. General rule of thumb is work out the maximum length of time you think it could take, then double it. That way you'll probably deliver earlier.
-
But then he'd be relying on mobile internet. Besides, there's better things to do on the beach. Sheltering from the rain in the nearest pub being a prime one.
-
I think what you're after is gpresult. It has the following switches: - /s - denotes a remote system to connect to - /u - denotes the user to run under - /p - the user's password, it'll ask you for one if you leave it out - /scope - whether to display user or computer settings - /user - denotes the user to analyse - /v - verbose information, gives additional information on policies applied with a high precedence - /z - super-verbose, gives information on all policies applied with precedence of 1 and higher, useful for check if it has been applied in multiple places Type /? to get the above information. Since it tends to display a lot of information I usually pipe the result into a text file which can then be checked at leisure. ( > filename dumps the results into a designated file)
-
Cheap pay as you go mobile, maybe £20. Cheap GPS unit, £40. Nintendo DS plus internet browser cartridge (not DS lite) which can connect to Wi-Fi, £100. Total about £160.
-
Try extending the web application that you want to use, then applying the external AAM onto that. I believe you'll probably want Internet zone rather than Extranet, but I'll have to check tomorrow.
-
I was in a similar situation when I started working at a private school a while ago. I actually managed to get around it, without treading on any toes, by writing a detailed report off all the changes I thought should be made, with carefully reasoned arguments for and against them, discussing it with the Head of IT, the bursar, and the IT co-ordinator throughout. Their view was that since they'd all had input, the report would be worth reading and considering. And obviously to their eyes anything they disagreed with was put in by one of the others, so they'd have to argue against it rationally rather than simply by standing on their authority. To my eyes, I was the one writing the thing, so I got to decide what was in it. If you want someone to do something, make them think it was their idea. But make sure yours is the name on the document.
-
If you want to link the SLG accounts with standard network accounts, yes.
-
Could you talk to the primary school about taking you on full-time for a year, or possibly talk to a couple of others nearby about splitting the cost of having you full-time between them?
-
The above route is correct for SLG 1, however for SLG2 you'll want Routines | Active Directory Provisioning | Add Staff/Students/Parents
-
Wii Fit. Bomberman's good of course, just for fun, and not gory. Big Brain Academy maybe?
-
Should've mentioned that I have that one as well. Again, very good game. Or rather incredibly unoriginal but fun platformer that rips it out of the entire computer gaming world. I still love the Gauntlet: Legends style sub-level, and the MMORPG level in general.
-
At the moment my Wii is pretty much limited to running Wii Fit and Bomberman. I do have Zelda on it, but having completed that twice I'm now playing it as a pick-up/put-down game on occassion.
-
Thanks for the suggestion, and it was a good game the first few times I played it through. I've also had Fallout 3 recently, which was also quite good, though I did find it getting somewhat tedious at points.
-
I'm looking for recommendations for games for either the XBox 360 or the Wii to treat myself to on payday (tomorrow). Best suggestions would be games which are novel in some way, my recent favourites have been Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge and Viva Pinata (even though it did make me wonder whether someone had slipped something into my drink) on the XBox 360. Anything out of the ordinary (i.e., not a racing game or first person shooter) is good. Help me out people, I'm running out of evening entertainment other than actually having to speak to people.
-
I'm assuming that you want to do this from a CSV file? If so this script may help you.
-
Using VBScript would do it. Welcome to the Script Center is a good place to start.
-
Get an eye test, if you have perfect vision it might be worth getting the HD version. Generally 40" is the point at which you start noticing a clear difference between the two.
-
Hodge, A couple years ago (wow, has it really been that long?) I had to do an evaluation on several VLEs for the school I was working for at the time. I've still got a copy of this floating around if you'd like me to send it to you. If you would, then PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it when I get home.
