Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. The CompTIA qualifications are mostly vendor independent, so they're about general principles of the topic. A+ covers basic hardware and IT troubleshooting. Network+ covers basic networking knowledge and skills. Security+ covers basic security principles (and can be used as an elective towards a specialist MCSA:Security or MCSE:Security) The MCSA is pretty much as it sounds, aimed at people who want to be system administrators and covering the skills required to administer a Windows 2003 domain. The MCSE goes into a little more depth in some areas.
  2. If you do then let me know whether it lives up to the review, I'm considering getting one myself since I don't bother with a landline phone. It'd be great for multiplayer long-distance family games nights if its all they say.
  3. Something like this maybe - Asus Eee Linux-based Skype Videophone • Register Hardware?
  4. jamesb

    Wii Games

    Download Bomberman Blast from the Wii Shopping Channel, fantastic party game. Also: - Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - Wii Play - Wii Music (heard good things about it but not played it myself) - Mario Kart Wii, so long as you're not expecting it to be an actual racing game On top of those, there are a few others its worth looking at in the shopping channel. I've spent many a drunken night with friends playing Castle Defender and sending stick men flying.
  5. At the head office they have a pub, and micro-brewery if I recall correctly, called Bugman's. Good beer, and reasonable prices.
  6. Can't tell you, but a quick search should turn up something. For the exam I believe its around £80, but different qualifications require multiple different exams. If you want a full course you're looking at something between a few hundred to a few thousand, the books run to about £40-£50 each if you're looking to self study, though pre-owned ones are often under £10. They're a professional qualification, I don't think you could really compare them to academic quals. Yep, I have a collection of them, I just don't tend to use the extra letters much, it gets embarassing. MCSA and MCSE cover different areas, although the MCSE is often considered to be a more advanced MCSA. With the newer ones the MCITP: SA and MCITP: EA cover different job descriptions. If you've already got most of the knowledge an intensive course will be a couple of weeks, I believe the self-study courses are meant to be about nine months, but it depends on how you study. For what? For what? Without more detail about your experience, and the areas you're interested in, there's not much point in people suggesting random courses.
  7. A few years ago I had to look at various different VLEs, and Frog came out far and away the best of the bunch.
  8. Here's hoping that the coming botnet storm which is sure to follow, now that proof of concept has been demonstrated, will cause continued devastation such that Mac and Windows users can unite against the vicious Linux users who program these things in the first place. Just to clarify, tongue firmly in cheek there.
  9. jamesb

    Maggie's End

    Then maybe we can scrap this ridiculous failed democracy experiment.
  10. While you probably won't find the latest pop tracks on it, I always use www.jamendo.com for music these days. Free and legal, and some very good stuff as well.
  11. Or you could talk to other people looking for presents to buy him, and see if a group of you can get together to buy it rather than just buying it yourself.
  12. Could always use the commandreport tool to generate reports on a schedule, then link into those from your linux box.
  13. I'm guessing its As We Speak, could easily be wrong though.
  14. Your best bet then is to get the books and self-study until you're happy, possibly buy some of the self-test software as well. Then just find the nearest exam centre and go for it. You get a free second shot if you fail, and a 25% discount on your next exam if you don't use that second shot.
  15. I did mine on an intensive residential course with a training company. Found it relatively simple if you've got appropriate experience, probably somewhat harder if you don't. I tend to find that, even though its usually more expensive, an intensive training course just works well for me.
  16. I take it you've flushed the DNS cache on whichever system you're using?
  17. If you use the IP address rather than the URL, can you browse to the site successfully?
  18. Have to agree with matt there, its not simple stupidity, its criminal negligence - failure to appropriately protect private data.
  19. Whatever password you set for the SQL Instance when you installed it should work.
  20. You should be able to detach the database from where it currently sits, or even just run a backup, then install SIMS afresh on the new domain, choosing to attach an existing database rather than create a new one. Attach your database through dbattach (or restore it, depending on which option you chose) and job done.
  21. All it is, is a couple of cmd-line commands. The first one starts a program, then pauses the batch until that program closes. The second one forces a logoff. I love simple solutions. I'm not sure whether or not you could do something similar in VBS, but I'd be very suprised if you couldn't.
  22. If you start the games through a batch file instead you could use the following: start /wait "C:\Games\Starcraft.exe" shutdown /l
  23. Just from this comment, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be right.
  24. You say that they have valid reasons for not wanting the network revamped, so I think you're going to have to abandon the idea of a complete overhaul. What about working out the spend required to keep the network running in at least a usable state for another year? If you go to them with that, costed out, and emphasize that without it the network will be falling into an unusable and unsupportable state they may be able to allocate budget for at least some metaphorical bandages.
  25. Then you're the wrong person to be doing training in it, simple as that. Is there anyone else who could provide training, or would Uniservity be willing to provide a trainer for a day? There's absolutely no point in you trying to train people in use of a product which you're quite evidently against. You will end up doing a lot more harm than good, and reinforcing your own viewpoint to the detriment of staff and students.
×
×
  • Create New...