Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Ah, I see, so you want people with the views and drive of independents, but the loyalty and the support of a party? Would be very nice to have. Not going to happen any time soon though.
  2. Unfortunately I can't listen to an MP3 at work, and I struggle to see a radio programme as a valid source of scientific evidence anyhow. Maybe a peer-reviewed paper somewhere?
  3. Currently the restrictions really aren't that harsh to register as an independent candidate. Politically Independent Candidate X faqs
  4. Personally I'll be using it, but that's mainly due to issues with Google. As to Microsoft Live I do use it, regularly, and find that I prefer it to any other blogging/photosharing/calendar/email/social networking/web file storage/console gaming combination I've found.
  5. The key word there being addition. Any avenue is good, but I wouldn't think a forum post should be the only method being used.
  6. I take it you've already posted your CV on various job sites around, and had a look at your local opportunities? You're much more likely to get a job if you apply for it, or have a (good) agency do so on your behalf than if you just put your CV up on a forum.
  7. So, what exactly are these other effects? All you've said so far is that they haven't been/can't be measured. The electric field strength of the earth's magnetic field, around ground level, is about 120 V/m. Please note by the way that V/m is a measure of electro-magnetic field strength. Not a measure of the energy content of electro-magnetic radiation.
  8. jamesb

    Up time?

    Translation: No problem. As far as I can tell with three-letter acronyms, your mileage may vary but on the other hand ???? somebody explains them without saying "read the instructional guidebook which accompanies your product person who is new to the system".
  9. Correct. Many of the 'independent' organisations which feature in news articles are not in fact independent (well, except from independence from the manufacturers of wi-fi kit, but they tend to be closely allied to those who sell little quartz crystals you can stick to your phone to block the 'harmful' rays). You can tell the ones who are actually scientific organisations because they tend to subject their reports to peer review prior to publication in actual scientific journals, rather than just posting them off to the Sun after ten minutes with a spell checker. Because there are no other observed effects...hence why they focus only on the observed effects. I think that eating brussel sprouts will lead your skin to turn green and your body to begin working through photosynthesis. I have as much peer-reviewed, scientific evidence for this as you do. You're making a very big assumption here. This statement relies on the fact that all of your previous statements are correct, and assumes proof of them. There is no evidence whatsoever of this. Again, I ask where your indications of this are? Lifespan is continuing to increase, if these things really were so harmful that would not be the case. Great. I really don't need your recommendation though I'm afraid. I don't actually have a landline phone at home, because its plain inconvenient. I use my mobile for calls, GPS when walking, a lot of web browsing, and many other purposes. When I need more scaled up access I tend to use my laptop and wireless access point in my house. How exactly are these two things related at all? I have a desktop computer (which also runs over wireless and functions as my house media server/web server/cocktail inventory/multipurpose device in various ways). The bandwidth my wireless provides is more than enough for any use I'd put it to. A quick count of the wireless devices in my home would be about six devices, all running off a single access point. Putting in wires gains me no speed benefit, as my requirements are reasonable, so the convenience of wireless saves me buying cables and running them all over the house. On top of that my laptops are perfectly reliable, as is my netbook. They were not particularly expensive and have more than enough power for my needs. Many of these same people who now don't get headaches also don't get headaches if they're unaware that a wireless device is present. Or do get headaches if a device is present but switched off. Or if a fake device with no circuitry is present. I love studies like this. And don't forget. Sticking a small crystal to the speaker (only £19.99) prevents all of the harmful radiation doing you any damage.
  10. I never said it was safe, just that our own contribution is pretty minimal compared to natural sources - both of microwave radiation and natural sources - [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Background_radiation]Background radiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] Gee, thanks, I never knew the difference in spectrums before now. Visible light though is only a portion of the radiation we receive from the sun, and from the rest of the universe. Which wasn't really the argument I was using. My point was, even taking all of this into account, the total energy we receive from this radiation is tiny compared to the energy caused by 'natural' sources. There are also so far no indicators that any of this supposedly highly dangerous microwave radiation is in any way harmful. Mobile phones have now been around for years, so where's the massive rise in cancers that you'd expect if any of the crackpot theories about dangers of them were true? If microwave radiation is a risk factor, its one we can disregard while we look after much larger risk factors such as diet and lifestyle choices.
  11. Well what's the worst that could happen with product placement?
  12. Which is kind of a good thing, given that we receive more non-ionising (and in fact ionising) radiation from the sky and the rest of the universe pouring down on us than we'll ever receive from a little wireless access point. If these people were really allergic to such things, or suffered migraines, they'd be better off walking around with a lead umbrella then whining about mobile phones and wireless networking.
  13. So I am very much in the minority. Apparently in 0.001% of the population. I feel special.
  14. I love the way people get so defensive over this, and try to morally justify it to themselves. "Everyone does it." "It doesn't really hurt the companies." "The artists don't get any money anyway (kind of flawed justification there, but I've heard it used)" and so on. I'd like to think that the figure given is accurate, but I suspect its not. Personally I'll just continue to actually buy DVDs, music and so on rather than doing any sort of illegal download. Every time I see this issue mentioned, I feel more and more in the minority.
  15. I was tired! And I just hit the first one to come up after pressing 'C', without thinking, or looking.
  16. Never, ever sit down to think about how you keep breathing. It took me a good minute to realise that I'd stopped when I did that.
  17. Not at all. Just change all the important passwords you need to something like 'password' then write it down on a big sticky note to go on your keyboard. That way you won't forget.
  18. They're putting Windows ME on them?
  19. Now that's quite impressive. Seriously. Managing to get radiation poisoning from a source which is in no way radioactive is a real achievement.
  20. No it doesn't. Server 2008 is designed to work with Vista. Server 2008 R2 probably has these controls in. Once Windows 7 and Server 08 R2 are actually on the market I suspect they'll be a service pack/admin pack which'll add most of the controls to Server 2008, in the same way as they did for Server 03 and Vista.
  21. You've just saved me from spending a lot of money on some useless cars.
  22. I'm just wondering how many cheap, ten-year old cars I can pick up for under a grand. You see plenty at the sides of roads with For Sale signs.
×
×
  • Create New...