Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. When do they start tattooing barcodes to the backs of your necks?
  2. Once upon a time I'd've said yes, but my ability to be addicted to a game seems to have vanished over the last few months.
  3. Just search for yourself on the website. At the moment their phone line doesn't provide the mobile service, but they're planning to add it.
  4. Its not that difficult. A few StrLeft commands, and for duplicates just throw in some error checking which adds a number after the username if the script kicks back with 'object already exists'. Edit: Having said that the bulk user creation tool that plexer recommends is probably going to be easier.
  5. Yes, I know, but you're not as likely to do that for too long, if for no other reason than that your battery's going to run out. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can see their reasoning. Personally I've got an N85 and a nice little app for it which turns my phone into a wireless access point whenever I need to hook something up through it, so the controversy's not really going to affect me.
  6. If I'm not in it, I think I might actually join. Its not as though they actually give out your number and seems to me to be a very well thought out method.
  7. VBScript can do all of this quite happily. Hey Scripting Guy! How Can I Create Users from a CSV File? A bit of string parsing, and adding some statements to assign variables to the right attributes on each user and you're done.
  8. Which is why it makes sense. There's a limited amount of bandwidth you'll realistically use with your phone, since its primarily a phone. If you turn it into a wireless access point though then you could quite happily leave it on overnight, on charge, downloading whatever you want to your laptop for hours at a time. Not something a mobile network's really going to want going across their network.
  9. From their website. Looks like they're not charging anything extra to remove people from the directory, which is something.
  10. No. I don't agree that makes something public. If I stick a poster up on a wall in the middle of a town centre, yes, that's public. If I chat to a friend, or a family member, then I have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If I post to a private site with a limited audience on the internet, I expect privacy and so long as I have taken certain precautions (such as being selective about friending people rather than adding everyone) then no one has any right to declare anything there 'public'. I agree to a point with you, but you're going a little far on this. By the sound of it you'd have it that no one's allowed to complain about their job to anyone, no matter how private it might be considered. Why is a spouse considered 'private' but a friend not? Where do you draw the line, and how long before we start saying that companies have a right to police our thoughts because they're 'public'?
  11. You fight like a dairy farmer!
  12. From what I understood the person in question was not, in point of fact, a teacher. Her facebook comment was a reply to a teacher, who had originally complained about a class. The teacher who made the original comment has had no action taken against them. The employment tribunal is going to love this one.
  13. I wouldn't really agree. A lot of large companies will grab up ex-school IT staff wherever they can. While there's probably some discrimination against them, there are also companies who recognise the breadth of experience and knowledge you have to pick up in a school and who appreciate it.
  14. Remember those old foam disc throwers? I wonder how far they'd launch a CD, with appropriate modifications of course.
  15. Nicely done. Now sign up to N-Gage and be ready to be humiliated.
  16. I'd say its fair game. They broke the contract, not their users. They should have known what the consequences might be. As to people being affected by the change, what about someone just popping abroad on holiday for a week and wanting to use their phone? Its a change in what they're offering, regardless of whether it actually affects you if its part of the reason that you chose that contract then you have every right to cancel, whether you've actually made use of it or not. Basically 3 have pulled a bait and switch here, and shouldn't be able to get away with it.
  17. A dual display card for one of your computers and a VGA extension cable?
  18. 3 has no place Like Home ? The Register More detail on what's actually happening, and who can cancel because of it.
  19. This is genuine. They've altered the way they do their roaming charges, and a few people have got out of their contracts because of it. It doesn't apply to all users though.
  20. Don't know what you're talking about. Edits to correct my answer once I'd actually worked it through in full, none here. Move along.
  21. The brown-eyed and green-eyed people are irrelevant to the puzzle.
  22. All of the blue-eyed people leave that night. I think I've got the answer, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone else. Bat, I'll PM you with it.
  23. Is this the same NUT that wanted a 10% raise? Good to see they're getting more realistic. I don't see that it'd be reasonable for teachers to be compensated for accessing school systems at home, unless they're being forced to access those systems. Simply making remote access possible and letting people know about it is still leaving people with the choice to access. I doubt you're keeping track of who logs in to the system and what they do in order to make sure everyone meets their 'quota', so compensation shouldn't be provided. After all, you're providing it for their convenience. They can always come into school to do their work instead.
  24. jamesb

    Dr Pepper

    That's a conditioned psychological response for you, gotta love Coke's advertising. Incidentally, coca-cola tastes better out of a Coke-branded glass, cup or other (if you prefer Coke to Pepsi that is). If you prefer Pepsi, coca-cola (any brand) will taste better if your drinking it somehow involves a Pepsi logo. Brain-washing all round.
  25. Once the trust is set up you can apply restrictions as you normally would to users on your system, permissions and so on. Note though, a domain is the boundary for account and policy settings, so GPOs which contain those settings won't affect the users when they log on to your computers. To set up the trust is fairly simple, depending on the type you want. The difficult bit is remembering how trusts 'point'. If Domain A trusts Domain B with an outgoing 1-way trust, then it means that users from Domain B can be recognised to access resources on Domain A. If Domain A and Domain B trust each other with a two-way trust, users from both can access resources on the other. Several links on trusts (may have already been posted): Domain Trust - Explanation of domain trusts and considerations to remember when applying them. How to Create a Trust Relationship from One Computer - step by step for setting up a trust for access to a single computer Domain and Forest Trust Tools and Settings: Domain and Forest Trusts - details of the various tools related to Domain and Forest trusts Create an external trust: Active Directory - creating a one-way outgoing/incoming external domain trust Create a two-way, external trust for both sides of the trust: Domain and Forest Trusts - creating a two-way external domain trust Create a one-way, outgoing, forest trust for both sides of the trust: Domain and Forest Trusts - creating a one-way external forest trust Trust between a Windows NT domain and an Active Directory domain cannot be established or it does not work as expected - a common problem once the trust is established Hope this helps. Edit: If you set up a transitive trust then any child domains will also trust the trusted domain.
×
×
  • Create New...