-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Be honest now, you used a leet speak translator for that, didn't you?
-
Plus CRM, data analysis (corporate data, not the kind you want google to have), and a hundred other applications which you don't want to be indexed by a disreputable advertsising company. How long until they start pushing other companies to your contacts, basing their targetting on your own business model?
-
Bit of noob help with network architecture
jamesb replied to undercover's topic in Network and Classroom Management
From my own understanding (which could be wrong) I'd say that you want the database server to be internal to your network. Its not public facing and should be read-only by the web server. An internal site would then be set up which would be allowed to write to the database, not accessible from the web. -
I just knocked together a low-specced VM with Windows XP, and installed the ActiveX control on that. Works like a dream. I'm on just a workstation, and we don't have network drives, so the idea of backing up over a terabyte of various test VMs onto external storage, then having to reconfigure all of my lovely diagnostic tools, makes me cringe in fear. Plus having to then go to our tech people to get them to book my machine in for a reformat and reinstall (they're busy at the moment, which means it could take some time).
-
Tried all of the above unfortunately. Same thing each time. I do now have a workaround so its not as urgent, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this.
-
Oh goodie. Now they can put advertising on our computers even when we're not browsing the net. What joy. I think I'll be avoiding this one.
-
I've got IE8 installed on Vista 64 bit, and the 64 bit version of it works without a hitch. The 32 bit program won't even load - most of the time. Sometimes I get a tiny flicker of a window before it crashes out again. I can't find any errors logged in event viewer, and it doesn't crash out with an error. I wouldn't mind as I have a selection of other browsers to play with, but I particularly need to install a 32 bit ActiveX control which won't work under the 64 bit browser. Microsoft's troubleshooting guide is a little useless, as all it suggests is to reinstall or reset the settings. Since it won't load IE in the first place resetting the settings isn't an option. Anyone got any ideas? I've tried several full reinstalls of IE, but uninstalling doesn't roll back to IE7 as it should. Instead it leaves me with no IE at all.
-
Book a week or two off and see how long it takes them to call you in.
-
Lojban : Lojban maybe?
-
Combine it with used and you can barely say it without feeling like you need a wash. Personally my biggest grudge is the word 'like' when used as slang like, you know, when you like, don't like know what to like say because your like brain needs these like pauses to get the like words in order. Ten minutes of that should be considered reasonable grounds for homicide.
-
Heresy and blasphemy! Its the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I'd say go for that one, you can get a badge and everything. Plus Friday is a holy day to worshippers of His Supreme Noodliness, so you could make a case for taking Fridays off.
-
Viewing what files a user has opened
jamesb replied to mattstevenson2005's topic in How do you do....it?
Depends on what you're using, but this might help - How to audit user access of files, folders, and printers in Windows XP You can set all of this in a GPO as well if you want to apply it across the domain, but be aware that the audit logs can get very large, very quickly. -
When you say you've amended the web parts, have you both set the list that the data web parts should be populating to the name of your list and checked the 'Enable this context' box in the web part settings?
-
I'm about to become a network manager - any tips?
jamesb replied to bandgeekmafia78's topic in General Chat
First job to do when you get there, make a network map. It doesn't have to be hideously complicated just make sure its got the important servers and their IP addresses, and anything else important. It might take some time to begin with but it'll save you plenty later on. Second thing to do is explore the AD structure (assuming they're using vanilla, otherwise explore the layout of any management software they're using). Having spent a little while looking through and seeing the commands available will make you much more effective when a user has an issue, as you won't have to hunt around for the right functions. Third, have a cup of tea in the staff room now and then. Chat to the staff and be friendly (or as friendly as you can stand, remember to have a quiet space to retreat to if they get a bit much). Fourth, and finally, get in touch with other network managers in your area whether through edugeek or some other method. Some of them will have seen the issues you might come across, and you might have picked up a few things that'll help them. Share knowledge. -
Can't you set the content advisor/security zone settings via group policy? At least it'd stop you having to visit all the computers.
-
Free and legal music downloads - Jamendo is quite a good one.
-
Which really, is reasonable enough. Sadly my last employer forgot to specify that. Free training and a decent raise.
-
If there was one centrally funded MIS given away for free, which met all school requirements, it would effectively kill any commercial MIS development. The reason something like say, Open Office, hasn't done this is because Microsoft Office is in many ways better, and has better support. With the same funding as a commercial office package gets for development, support and so on, and no cost to customers you would quite effectively wipe out any commercial value in developing office products. Look at it like this - if the government funded training for school network managers to a high quality, and offered them free to schools with no conditions or provisions, how many network managers would still be in a job except those that the government was providing?
-
Iphone overheats, explodes, blows user's head off.
jamesb replied to tech_guy's topic in General Chat
Nokia N85. Great for music, can play over the car radio (without any messing around with wires), and a good all-around phone. -
Just about anything from Synthetic Reality, but particularly Warpath. Still as entertaining today as it was when I was a kid.
-
I still recommend a Senseo. Fast, and good coffee. The coffee pods are reasonably priced as well, commonly available in your average supermarket and there's a good range.
-
Get yourself a Senseo coffee machine. Wonderful things.
-
Not at all, its still just flu. We've been beating new strains of flu for years. Disinfectant poisoning, now that I'm worried about.
-
Be fair, its not even on sale yet!
-
Business studies coursework due in soon?
