Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Merge the two scripts into one? You'd have to script it to detect the OU which the computer resides in, and assign printers according to that, but it should solve the problem.
  2. It sounds like SharePoint is working fine, but the sites are broken. The stsadm backup and restore might be the best way around this. The IIS logs would definitely be worth a look if its an IIS error page, as it may be that SharePoint is actually fine and IIS itself is having problems.
  3. When the error page appeared was it the SharePoint unexpected error page, with a link to Troubleshoot SharePoint errors? If it was then there may be a stack trace in the server's event viewer which'd help. If not then you should take a look at your IIS event logs (System32\LogFiles\somethingincomprehensible I believe). You can find out the path by going into IIS Manager and looking at the web site properties. This might help you narrow it down a little more.
  4. Have you got the full detail of the error available? If everything else is working, it may be something in the VLE configuration. Also it may be worth trying a backup of the SharePoint site through stsadm - then restoring this to a new web application within the same setup. If this works, try restoring it to your virtualized server rather than relying on the image.
  5. What version of SIMS are you on at the moment?
  6. I do homebrew wine and estimate that the mead I make costs £8/gallon. So that's about £1.60 per bottle of 24% mead - goes for around £10 a bottle in shops at least.
  7. Sounds to me like just bad error handling. Getting error status success, and assuming that it's an actual error. See what happens when you try to get too clever with catching errors?
  8. A lot of jobs are got through word of mouth, and there's absolutely no shame in it. A recommendation from an existing employee can go a long way.
  9. Nope. Nope and nope. I occasionally watch iPlayer, but I've only done that since checking that it doesn't require a license (and its only for Doctor Who and the Sarah Jane Adventures). I do listen to the radio for news and a few shows on BBC 7. No license required for that. If I want to watch something I'll usually buy it on DVD or add it to my Blockbuster list. My screen gets used for watching DVDs and gaming, as well as having a slideshow display when I'm not using it for something else, or streaming one of the music internet channels (I've got one of the original prototype Steamiums, wonderful little thing). None of this requires a tv license and I'm stubborn, so I refuse to pay even a negligible amount for something that I'm not using, and have no intention of using. Its a license, not a tax. I've got better things to do than watching the idiot box, such as fighting the Man.
  10. I know, but I don't feel like receiving letters from them again until I get around to calling in the big guns and making them send me a formal apology. Once is enough for that. I've got it framed. Nope, about 1 in 20 people don't pay the tv tax according to the last set of statistics I heard. Not a bad idea but I've currently got a 24" screen and was looking to get something bigger. I'm just having trouble finding something without a tuner.
  11. After a bit of hunting I managed to find this: Re: Single Sign On Looks like WSS doesn't support single sign-on.
  12. I don't have a TV license, since I don't watch broadcast television. However I'm now considering (since my tax rebate is finally coming through) getting a better television than my little CRT screen. The problem is that I've had enough fuss and bother with the licensing lot in trying to prove that I don't watch tv before, so I'd like to find one which doesn't have a built-in tuner. SCART and RGB inputs are important, but nothing else really matters. I'm also not that interested in HD. Any ideas?
  13. jamesb

    Logon screen

    I quite like it to be honest.
  14. I love conspiracy theories. Most of them of course are just ridiculous, but every now and then you have a gem pop up. If you want a particularly good one look into David Icke's work. (Incidentally the Bilderberg Group he mentions do exist, but they're not really alien lizards (as far as I know)).
  15. Have you got IISADMPWD set up in a separate IIS site?
  16. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to add the AD users into SharePoint. SSO isn't something I know much about, but this may help you: Microsoft SharePoint Designer Team Blog : An Introduction to Single-Sign-On (SSO) with Data Views
  17. Probably, but not necessarily. DDoS refers to Distributed Denial of Service, which it seems that this was. DoS is just Denial of Service, the different is the number of nodes used to perform the attack. A DoS attack can be as simple as someone big standing between you and the computer, and holding a baseball bat.
  18. There's probably an easier way than this, but you could always use some PowerShell script. foreach ($User in $Userlist) { [indent]$SPSite = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite($URL) $SPRoot = $SPSite.RootWeb $SPUser = $SPRoot.EnsureUser($User) $SPRole = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.SPRoleAssignment($SPUser) $SPRole.RoleDefinitionBindings.Add($SPRoot.RoleDefinitions["Read"]) $SPRoot.RoleAssignments.Add($SPRole) $SPSite.Dispose() $SPRoot.Dispose() [/indent] } If you give that a username in DOMAIN\Username format as the value of $User, or rather an array of them as $UserList and a URL it'll loop through and assign read permissions to everyone in the list, to the site you've given the URL of.
  19. No, it sounds to me like its a complicated contract and he's offering to help anyone who needs a little help. How many people working in the Education Sector are contract lawyers in their spare time?
  20. Someone I know has recently asked me if it's possible to create a tool for them. What they want is something which'll iterate through several thousand PowerPoint files in a directory tree, renaming them and moving them to a new tree with different subfolders depending on name, and then go through the slides themselves in order to update any OLE links which they contain. Originally I was hoping to do this in PowerShell and making progress. The problem came when I discovered that PowerShell and Office Automation have problems if your culture isn't set to en-US. I'm not willing to change it just for this (plus I did try changing it, and still had the same problem) and so have had to move to the next step. I've been learning PowerShell, and a bit of .NET over the last couple of weeks. Just finished installing Visual Studio and I'm going to have a look at whether I can learn to do this within Visual C#. I'm already tripping over a few conventions which are different from PowerShell (having to declare every single variable as strongly typed, and define array sizes is not my favourite thing) but I'm getting there slowly. If anyone knows any good resources for this, they'd be appreciated. I'm getting there but anything which'd speed up the learning process would be great. Once this one's out of the way I'll be looking for a new hobby project, and hopefully going back to PowerShell for a bit.
  21. Oh trust me, you can block it from logging on. As I discovered once while having a play in AD (VM, not live). Removed interactive logon for all admin users, and had to restore the VM from snapshot.
  22. Except Microsoft don't try and silence people these days. Or at least they don't try and fail. Plus Windows rarely explodes and sets fire to your car.
  23. Create a GPO denying the domain admin account interactive logon rights and apply it to any OUs which contain client machines. Make sure your servers and DCs are in another OU.
  24. In most cases, not nearly as much as they're paid. How many clubs posted a profit this year?
  25. If Kerberos weren't working you wouldn't be able to authenticate at all. I'd say you need to look elsewhere to find out why credentials aren't being stored sensibly.
×
×
  • Create New...