Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Thank you again! I can't thank you enough for this. With those titles I managed to track down an online Lithuanian bookstore and, with the help of a dictionary and a bit of a headache, order some of the books which are still in print.
  2. Thank you, unfortunately those are the Polish titles as far as I can tell. I've managed to find them, but I know that the books were translated into Lithuanian (mainly because my friend absolutely adores the books to a level you wouldn't believe, and tends to talk about them at least once in any prolonged conversation). Its these ones I'm trying to get hold of.
  3. A bit of an obscure request here, but I'm running out of places to look myself. I'm trying to find a series of books by Andrew Sapkowski about Geralt. I know that a couple of the English translations are called The Last Wish and Blood of Elves, but I don't know the translated titles. I can't ask the Lithuanian I know, since then she'll know what I'm getting for her birthday. I know its a bit of a long shot but does anyone know either the translated titles of the series or, preferably, where I can get hold of these books?
  4. I suspect if he'd had a sat dongle rather than a 3G one, the bill would be a little higher.
  5. So that'd be one of these then - Asus T91: Multi-touch tablet netbook - Crave at CNET UK? Except its got an added TV tuner and GPS chip. I suppose you could always take them out...
  6. Well, there's obviously Wii Fit as an exercise machine, and as a yoga trainer in the morning to help me wake up. On the occasions that I have family or friends up for a party I usually have the Wii acting as a digital photo frame, or one of the WiiWare little games running on it for people to pick up and put down. Since I don't have a television, or a television license, iPlayer's a handy feature to have and the updated channel is far, far better than the old one. The weather forecast or the news are quite pleasant to just leave running in the background. On occasion, a music center, though usually the XBox is hijacked for that. House noticeboard on the calendar. It saves having one hanging on the wall. Message center - since I now live quite a distance from family, I get pictures and messages about my nephew and niece sent to me via the messaging, as well as organising family Bomberman tournaments every few weeks. Nice way to keep in touch when I don't feel like having the computer on (most evenings) or phoning for a long chat.
  7. jamesb

    I lost...

    Its not a mere meme, its a demonstration of a game which breaks the basic rules of game theory which are (if I remember correctly): - The players must be aware that they are playing - All players must know the rules - There must be a clear way to win - There must be a way to finish playing So its a highly important philosophical construct, which just also happens to be one of the most annoying memes you'll ever come across.
  8. Not necessarily. There's the potential for a vicious circle. Person owns two houses, rents one, but pays their living expenses by still working full time. Rent builds up, person uses it to put a deposit down to buy another house - uses the rent from the first to pay the mortgage. Rent builds up more, with both sets going to pay off the mortgage, and buy a third house. Repeat. So basically those who own enough property to rent it out could potentially keep prices high enough that those who simply want to buy a house to live in, instead have to rent from them. I'm far from an economist so I'm sure there's some problem with this model, but it still worries me.
  9. You can audit object access: How to audit user access of files, folders, and printers in Windows XP That might do what you're after. Edit: Right link this time: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776774(WS.10).aspx
  10. Got any Playmobil? Playmobil throws down animation gauntlet ? The Register
  11. I'm sure someone'll hack it to put a nice, custom Linux Distro on. At that point I'll be interested. Its a nice gadget, but I've sworn off nice-to-haves for the year. Still busy playing with Linux on my spare DS at the moment.
  12. Alternatively, if you have PS $Path = 'Directory\' #Get all pdfs in the directory $Filenames = Get-ChildItem $Path -Recurse -Include "*.pdf" #Loop through one at a time foreach ($OldFile in $Filenames) { [indent]#Replace all non-numerics $Number = $OldFile.Name -replace '[^0-9]' #Construct the new filename $NewName = "Textbook " + $Number.Insert(2,'.') + ".pdf" #Rename the file Rename-Item -Path ($Path + $OldFile.Name) -NewName $NewName [/indent] }
  13. From my own experience, I cannot recommend BT enough. After spending the entire twelve months of my contract with Tiscali trying to get them to fix my connection I switched to BT. The progress was then: - Two minute phone call, they said they'd call back after some line tests - Twenty minutes later a call back saying that they'd picked up a fault and would contact me shortly about resolution - Twenty minutes more, engineer from BT calls saying they've fixed it at the exchange and could I test it. Speed had increased to 7Mbps but connection still dropped out every few hours, told them this. - Next day engineer's sent out to check the line outside my house to the box.
  14. If they're on Vista or Windows seven, there might be a desktop sidebar thingy for this.
  15. How're you linking to the team discussions? I take it they're on the same web application as everything else, so alternate access mappings should match up?
  16. It does also recognise custom groups, but you need to make sure that permissions such as SLG Web Parts -> Run (All) are included in the group. Probably worth having a look at one of the standard groups (Class Teacher for example) and seeing which SLG permissions are missing. Also, it can take up to a day or so for permissions to update within SLG. Running an IIS reset pushes them through straight away.
  17. I do know that quite a few places use the SharePoint Learning Kit, with SCORM content. Might be worth taking a look. There are various people on here who make a lot of use of SharePoint as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.
  18. Is it this one you're talking about - eye4you - Software Downloads? Slightly concerning that it seems they haven't created a version for Vista.
  19. One second, education discount bribes? I must've been in the wrong job, I never got any sort of bribe while working in a school as a technician or a network manager. What exactly are you referring to here? The closest thing I got to an incentive was being given a set budget, and realising that any money I could save on one area would let me spend in another which needed it more. It is perfectly possible to do new things with commercial vendors, open source doesn't have a monopoly on innovation. If commercial software refused to innovate and improve don't you think people would have stopped using it by now? The right tool for the right task. Some things commercial software simply does better, or is better suited for, or (often) is easier to set up without much more training and expertise in the area. As one example, I've yet to meet a domain management tool that I prefer to Active Directory.
  20. I think you've just summed up my position actually. Thanks for helping me clarify it to myself as much as anything else.
  21. All that I'm asking for is an argument in defense of copyright infringement which is both sensible, and carries some weight. A good, solid argument for breaking the law. I've yet to see one which isn't completely subjective. It seems that in many cases people are breaking the law as a form of protest, but there are many musicians who are bypassing the record publishing companies which people are protesting against. Surely more support for these musicians, which would be completely legal, would be a better option than continuing to break the law? Combined with a boycott on those that people object to would make the position stronger still. As to being patient, I've been insulted several times during this thread. I've yet to hand out any personal insults, and I won't do so since I view this as a moral/philosophical debate, not a personal argument. I've also corrected my use of the term theft to describe it.
  22. And I haven't seen a single satisfactory answer, at least not one that would justify breaking the law in my view.
  23. If they're buying the CDs or the tracks anyway, then why download? What's that got to do with it? A large part of the reason I do my job is because I'm in it for the money, does that mean I shouldn't get paid?
  24. As I said lower down (I'm writing this from the bottom up) its the risk I take. True, but why should their audience be entitled to hear their music without paying if the artist has made the decision to charge for it? Its the risk I take if I fall for the hype and marketing, yep. Hasn't happened yet though. Yep. I've had formal apologies from both the tax office and the television licensing people, along with compensation from the tax office. Not much of a change I know, but it can make a difference. Write to your MP, get your friends to do the same. Action is much better than inaction. So surely supporting Spotify would be another way to show support for the new models, rather than ignoring the new models in favour of illegal downloads and so preventing them from truly getting off the ground? I'm not saying that you do this, but a substantial number of people do. If that number were to switch to Spotify (preferably the subscription one, give them a little support) then it'd be a much clearer indication of preference than avoiding both paid options. That's the one, but there's got to be better ways to fight against it than breaking the law. Maybe supporting those artists who are doing something different, and are providing their own music through their own channels would be better than trying to punish those who aren't (or rather, punishing them in a legal fashion by just not buying their music). And my customers are entitled to refuse to pay for it, which is fine. What they're not entitled to do (if I'm charging for my work) is to get it free, and use as their defense that 'I charge too much'.
  25. Not sure if this'll be any help, but might be worth a try - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/HA011545621033.aspx As far as I'm aware document libraries are essentially just a list.
×
×
  • Create New...