Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. You could argue that there are potential unknown health risks due to the ash filtering down, and so you're unwilling to leave the bar...uh, hotel until the eruption stops or the school make suitable provisions for your travel. A simple filter mask should be enough, but it'd give you a few extra days waiting for it to be delivered. Personally I think this is just solid evidence that we should bring back airships and scrap these noisy, pollution, expensive plains, along with the jet-set lifestyle.
  2. The question is still raised of whether them being able to do the same with your printing is a good thing or not. I'd say that it's quite firmly not, and that the benefits of this new method are pretty much non-existent, unless I've missed something.
  3. Matter of opinion, but I disagree with using data for targetted advertising at all. Particularly when it's my data. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear?
  4. You mean like you can do now, since internet cafes generally have printers set up on their terminals? Or do you mean for letting people access open 'public' printers in places with free internet access? That would concern me a little. I don't print much anyway, and the stuff I do print isn't stuff that I'd want printing in public anyway (payslips for example). I certainly wouldn't want anything being sent to the servers of a company with such a bad track record for respecting user privacy, and misusing data for targetted advertising.
  5. On the other hand I'm actually interested now. Not in using it as a financial investment, but curious how much it costs to buy some vines and get those couple of crates each year. It'd be nice to have them coming in as a treat now and then.
  6. Strip the shielding and wire through the mains? Failing that, maybe some epoxy, or there's a few threads on here which talk about blocking logon if group policy can't be detected. Here you go: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/how-do-you-do/13520-blocking-internet-access-2.html#post136703
  7. Google Chrome OS to route print jobs around planet So if I read this right, in order to print using Chrome OS they want you to not only bounce the job around the internet before printing, but specifically to send it through Google's own servers? I thought junk faxes were pretty much dead now. I can see them attaching context-sensitive ads to this once it is in place. So you print out a technical manual for, say, a router and the first page comes up with 'did you know that router offers much more capability?' This is not going to end well.
  8. I know that on my advanced driving course I was told to skip gears while driving, not bothering to (for example) go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd to make a turn but to slow down with braking and normal deceleration, then just jump straight in to 2nd as I stopped decelerating. Changing up was the same, so generally when coming on to a national limit road I'll sit in 3rd until I'm up to speed, then jump to fifth. This all depends on the car though. In my old one I'd need to change from 3rd to 4th to 5th to get enough acceleration to get up to speed in time.
  9. As has been said, Group Policy will add the users as local admins of every machine, which will also make them admins of machines you are not logged on to. The other option is a login script which adds them as a local admin of just the machine they are logging on to, and a logoff script which takes them out of the group. This way they'll be able to administer a machine only when they're logged on to it. Something like this should do it (taken from here): Set oWshNet = CreateObject("WScript.Network" ) sUser = "fill in some domain user name here" sNetBIOSDomain = oWshNet.UserDomain sComputer = oWshNet.ComputerName Set oGroup = GetObject("WinNT://" & sComputer & "/Administrators,group" ) Set oUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & sNetBIOSDomain & "/" & sUser & ",user" ) ' suppress errors in case the user is already a member On Error Resume Next oGroup.Add(oUser.ADsPath) On Error Goto 0
  10. Grant the group Full Control over the domain, or the branch of it you want them to manage? Better for your purposes though might be to just choose to delegate control to those groups.
  11. Couldn't you just dual-boot into Windows, or set up a VirtualBox VM?
  12. Either manual or automatic, it still takes longer with a lot more data.
  13. Surely for that they'd prefer to minimize connection speeds, that way they've got less data to trawl through when they want to accuse you of something?
  14. I'm trying to be more tolerant of companies which try to exercise control over their users and developers, it seems to be the way the future is going. Actually I'm just trying not to be quite so reactive about Apple products. You never know, one day they might make something I want to buy and I'd prefer to have fewer words to eat. Edit: One step forwards, one step back - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/12/jobs_iphone_2g_email/
  15. I may have to slightly alter my opinion on Apple's grip on their App Store after this. Jesus Phone in shock Opera browser benediction
  16. Ambitious, aren't they? BT are going to love that.
  17. I'm planning to get it, and hoping to talk my family into getting it as well to play online. We regularly have bomberman tournaments on our respective Wiis over the internet already. I did actually manage to get tickets for the pre-release event down in London, but was unfortunately ill on the day.
  18. Jumping in, I'm going to swipe your idea and run with it for a project of my own. I've got a few old Asus EEEs floating around, begging for a purpose. A touchscreen kit and a bit of rejigging and one might make a perfect internet radio.
  19. Not a Battlefield player, but I know how you feel. I often have to take a break of several hours before driving if I've been playing Saint's Row 2.
  20. PC, XBox 360 and Wii here, though I plan to buy a PS3 in a few months, depending on finances and whether my girlfriend gets a job.
  21. I had a letter from them a few days ago to inform me that, after I cancelled, they've continued taking payments. I can expect a refund shortly.
  22. I like the last suggestion. I actually quite like it, though I did have a period of irritation until I spotted a post mentioning that the tabbed theme can cause problems with the forum list on certain setups. Now I'm rather happy with it. Particularly like the way that articles and blog posts can be flagged up as new along with forum posts. Already seen a few things I'd never have looked at otherwise.
  23. Edugeek v4 - Dappy Duckling
  24. I'm not sure if you're using an older version, but it only pulls down about 2-400k on my laptop. I would recommend that anyone wanting to use it gets a touchscreen as well though, that's when it really makes a difference.
×
×
  • Create New...