-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Windows 7 to Run on iPad With Citrix Receiver
-
Argh! I picked up a copy of the Sun on the bus....
jamesb replied to Little-Miss's topic in General Chat
Worst case scenario: Politicians paralysed by debate, country carries on with real life. 'Best' case scenario: Battle Royale leaving only the strongest survivors (not actually a good thing, but still...) -
Argh! I picked up a copy of the Sun on the bus....
jamesb replied to Little-Miss's topic in General Chat
Here's to a hung parliament - none of the parties seem to like the idea so it can only be a good thing. -
Deep breath, it is frustrating, particularly when you get so close, but it's obvious that you are learning and improving.
-
Podiobooks.com might be a good option, as many of the books on there are offered freely. What you won't find (usually) are major books, so some time will be needed to seperate the good stuff from the dross. What sort of books are they after? Depending on the genre I may be able to suggest a few.
-
As far as I'm aware you can't renew, but you can self-issue a new one. Creating, Obtaining, and Installing Trusted Certificates in a Windows SBS 2003 Network Environment has details on how to do this, or how to apply a trusted cert if you want to buy one.
-
As an alternative, if you've set up the SQL service to run under a dedicated account, could you use this to run a SQL query against the database to add an administrator/other account as serveradmin? Edit: Or better yet - http://blogs.ameriteach.com/chris-randall/2009/12/11/sql-server-2008-forgot-to-add-an-administrator-account.html
-
That finite number is rather high though, and of course the number of cars is not evenly distributed. (I'm far enough from London that I very rarely have traffic problems, except for a few minutes delay at rush hour). Now, cracking down more on bad/unsafe drivers and getting them off the roads while simultaneously scrapping charges for public transport and this whole privatisation thing might help more. Unfortunately the investment to do this would be huge, and frankly I doubt there would be much of a return on it for a long time. Even then the return, should people start using public transport then revenue to support it would begin dropping as it could no longer come from drivers to the same degree. Alternatively changing the rules to get rid of local 'public' transport company monopolies and allowing genuine competition might be another option. I see more issues with that though, as the current infrastructure isn't really set up for it. Really its a chicken and egg problem. The only way to solve it is someone to stop caring about public opinion on the matter which will always be self-contradictory, and just push an agenda they believe in. Sadly politicians aren't the right people to do this.
-
While I can write, and write shorthand, usually I won't need to do so for weeks at a time. I've just looked around my desk, and while it is covered in scraps of paper I've only written one of them, several weeks ago. It's a reminder to add something to my calendar, since it was arranged while my computer was rebooting. I'm not disagreeing with you, everyone should be able to write, but they should be able to write long before they hit a paperless environment. I wouldn't see anything wrong with a paperless classroom at the appropriate age. Although having said that, I do think shorthand and touch-typing should be taught, and that the whole joined-up handwriting thing was a complete waste of time. Do they still do that at primary school?
-
It always stuns me how calm people seem to stay during genuine crises, especially considering how they can react when something's merely an inconvenience. The quote from Captain Moody seems to sum up the idealised British attitude - Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control. I trust you are not in too much distress.
-
If it's not safe to fly, can we send up another one just to make sure?
-
Technically it is a perfectly sensical sentence, not nonsense at all. I'm with you though, let us crack down on all of this lazy use of language which leaves so much to interpretation. Everything should be written to be taken in the exact, literal sense. I believe lojban is an attempt to do this.
-
Risk-wise, it's still considered in the same way. The assumption to make with a 10% risk is that it will affect 10% of the events involved. Whether this is by having a 1 in 10 chance that everything fails, or by 1/10 of the planes failing, it's calculated the same way.
-
Costs of a risk are generally calculated by the cost of the hazard (in this case, a place crash) multiplied by the chance of the hazard occurring (crash due to ash damage). So you work out the cost as .1 (10% expressed as a decimal) multiplied by the number of flights. Then you work out if the benefits of going ahead are worth the cost. So let's say you've got a plane and someone's life does actually depend on the flight. If you fly, there's a 10% chance that it'll crash, killing 5 people (medical place, very small, pilot, a few medics, patient). If you don't crash the patient will get the treatment they need and have a 100% chance of living. If this flight isn't done, then there's 100% chance of the patient dying. So the risks balance out as 5 people * .1 vs. 1 person * 1. Cost of making the flight is .5 lives, cost of not making it is 1 life. So you fly. Of course, this is a massively simplified and patently ridiculous example, which doesn't take economics, convenience and so on into account.
-
Is it just me, or has car insurance got reeeeeally expensive recently?
jamesb replied to maniac's topic in General Chat
I'm not sure I'll ever really understand insurance. I keep getting handles on aspects of it, and then it's all blown away. For example - I used to drive a van, which meant I had to have business insurance as it's a commercial vehicle. This gave me all sorts of extra protections you normally don't get and cost about £100 more than personal. The van was low-value, small engine, and a highly secure vehicle (immobilizer, security grilles over the windows into the back, security grille between the driver and the back, alarm). Recently I switched to driving a car which is more than twice the value of the van, and has none of the security. When I was talking to the insurance company about changing over the vehicle on my policy the price went down by £100. I asked them what it would be if I switched to personal insurance (less coverage for certain things, lower payouts for certain things, no loss-of-earnings compensation for damage or loss of the vehicle, etc). It immeadiately jumped up again. They couldn't explain why. I'm guessing that it's similar to the classic car issue, that people who drive them tend to take care of them as they value them more than normal drivers. So if you've got business insurance, it's assumed that you'll take better care of the vehicle as your livelihood might depend on it. -
How to verify and change the system administrator password in MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition I'm not sure if this will also apply to SQL 2008, but you can always have a look. The KB above mentions a registry key which can be set to change the authentication mode to Mixed. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSqlserver\MSSqlServer\LoginMode If that works you should be able to go in as sa and move on from there. It is actually possible with SQL 2008 to install without any administrators, since the default rights are not assigned as they were in SQL 2005. You have to explicitly state any accounts you want to give admin rights.
-
Even on a 1% risk, that's still 60 k people. That's enough to depopulate a small town. Regardless though, in a case like this the benefits should outweigh the risks. Convenience never outweighs death. A bigger issue would be things like medical transports or aid shipments by air, where lives may depend on the flight. Those are the only ones that I can think of which would be potentially justified.
-
I've recently started playing Allods, though less than I'd like to. Just absolutely fascinated by the setting and story. Not got to the point yet where I'd have to join a party for anything, since it seems to work well for solo players. The aftergame is what I'm really after though - basically you can get a guild-like grouping of six people together, build a ship (wooden sailing ship, sort of) and sail through space to find hidden floating islands. Or, you know, turn into pirates and attack other ships sailing through space.
-
Not just rural areas. There is one bus that runs through my village every half hour, from seven in the morning to midnight. Outside of these times there is nothing. The bus is not cheap by any stretch, and delivers people to the town centre. If I were to use bus services to get to work I would then need to catch another two buses from there, for a total travel time of an hour and a half. Alternatively I have a six mile drive directly to work. I do plan to start cycling, as I have said, however to avoid the main road dual carriageway which heads directly to my work I will instead need to take a ten mile trip along back roads. Not that I'm unhappy about this, I've walked the route a couple of times and the scenery is lovely, but it's not a practical distance for me to walk to work and I don't currently have a bike. Edit: To clarify - despite living in a village it couldn't really be counted as rural. The town centre is about five miles away.
-
Sadly with fuel they're destined to fail, as localzuk said. The petrol will still be needed, and will still be sold. All it might do is hurt some of the large retailer companies who have the power to try and drive prices down a little because they purchase in such large amounts. A campaign like this would need people to stop driving, or reduce their driving for a time. I'm looking at switching to a bike as soon as I can afford one worth having, and using the car only for longer trips. Hopefully the ever-increasing prices will lead more people to do the same (where they can), but no campaign is going to help as things stand. Not unless there's a change in approach to instead put pressure on the government over the issue, rather than try to attack the production companies via the retailers. I'm not talking about a simple petition or facebook group, but more organised, consistent lobbying by experienced consumer groups with a record of successful campaigns. All you can do is look at any way that you can avoid it. Boycotting certain companies won't make a difference, only a reduction in the demand for petrol or properly applied political pressure will even start to bring about a change. Another hopeless chain. I honestly don't think (and I really, really hope I'm proved wrong on this) that anyone other than the extremist special interest groups have any energy for battles any more. The special interest groups themselves are just inneffective (I still chuckle over the ORG's failed protest - which genius came up with the idea of blank placards for a protest?). I would love to take more part in effective protests and activism, but I simply don't have the time with work and other things. I have considered taking a stand for the council or similar, but again time, financial concerns, and the lack of a party I'd be willing to associate myself with to gain the required backing currently put these plans on hold. I offer my full support to those who do such things though, particularly candidates who try to consider all of the issues rather than just standing on a single issue and having no idea about others (Pirate Party, I'm looking at you here).
-
Replacing teacher laptops with iPad devices (or similar)
jamesb replied to localzuk's topic in Blue Skies
Put Linux on them? I know it is more work, but a standard image which you know to be working, appropriately customised, should work as well if not better. You could even slap your school logo into the image. The T91 (my mistake on the version number, not sure where the 4 came from) is a tablet where the screen can be folded back. It does just save having to carry a wireless keyboard as well as give you a little more flexibility than a slate. (PS. What is a the T491? A search returns nothing). Yep, I added a '4'. Slight brain failure there. It's really more of a thought to look at, since the prices seem to be roughly comparable. Having alternatives to present to those in charge of the cash is always useful, and if you don't like a particular solution it should be reflected in the proposal anyway. -
There we go then! Solution to both problems is to bring back airships.
-
Replacing teacher laptops with iPad devices (or similar)
jamesb replied to localzuk's topic in Blue Skies
You could go for an even lower maintenance and budget option. The day of the etch-a-sketch is coming! Or alternatively have a look at the Asus T491 (I think that's the right version), saves the expense of wireless keyboards and the fact that people will lose said keyboards. Careful setup of the machines with GPOs to lock them down and one global image to deploy to them and you've got pretty much what you want, but with a lot more control over the actual deployment than you'd get with iPads. Use the disk space to put on a recovery image, with a boot menu option to reinstall the image, and prevent local storage (hide the amount of storage available if you can - it can always be used for software which doesn't need to save data in a user-accessible area) and you've got pretty much what you're after. -
I'm just wondering - d'you think all the cancelled flights will offset the CO2 being emitted by this volcano? Otherwise we really should cancel natural disasters like these for fear of global warming*. *Please note: This comment is not meant to be a serious commentary or criticism about global warming, or the veracity of the theory thereof. It is merely intended to be a tongue-in-cheek comment regarding the unpredictability of nature, the futility of human plans, and the variability of scientific theories. It is also intended to hopefully raise a chuckle.
-
US School used student laptop webcams to spy on them at school & home
jamesb replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
I'd've thought that was pretty much self-evident. This should be added to the required reading list methinks - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Brother_(Cory_Doctorow_novel)
