Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. No, definitely not. The EEE PC should not have been able to connect to the internet from within the school, without going through the proxy. I'd've thought that should be standard for all devices going through the school network, whether joined to the domain or not. I really can't understand why the student would've been left capable of making changes to the OS, you're talking about a support nightmare. Its not hard to do a bit of research into Linux and discover how to lock down the system partition so that the student wouldn't be able to install new software and so on. I'd also be questioning why the student was left with the default Xandros setup, which gives them root access to the system. However those points not-withstanding, the defence of the offender's parents is patently ridiculous. I'm not aware of any software that they'd be likely to have installed to prevent the student sending threatening e-mails through any one of the thousands of webmail providers. Beyond that, they signed the AUP, which means that it was at least to a degree their responsibility to ensure that they (and by extension their child) adhered to it. They didn't. Finally if a child really wants to bully another, they'll find away. The parents attempt to offset this by trying to blame the school's lack of precautions is simply pointless. The victim's parents, on the other hand, have a strong point. Not on the fact that the child was given something that could be used to threaten a student, but on the fact that it took so long to find the offender.
  2. Was there a scheduled task or anything similar running at that time which might've caused the load?
  3. By control panel do you mean the BIOS, or the control panel once its booted? If its the BIOS there'll be some switch on the motherboard which'll reset the password, or you can yank the BIOS battery for a few seconds before replacing it. If in the control panel once its booted up, honestly couldn't help you.
  4. Do you have SQL Management Studio available, or Studio Express? If so, try picking a user through that and reset their password, then try and login as them.
  5. Yep, congratulations. And I'll link you the same song I linked my sister, which apparently summed up the whole experience perfectly for her. Jonathan Coulton Blog Archive Thing a Week 46 - You Ruined Everything
  6. Also not a lady, but I did ask my sister (who has a second on the way) what her advice was. According to her then you should just tell people whenever you feel like it, though make sure both of you know whether/when you're announcing.
  7. With a net form you're only opening up the targetted e-mail address to abuse.
  8. Last step, if you want to keep the name, rename the DC using NETDOM: Rename Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers
  9. By the looks of it in that case, your redirection page is requiring SSL. Since its not an SSL site, its then refusing to service the client's request. On the plus side, your SSL is working.
  10. Would a web page with a mailto: form on it be an option?
  11. If you check the IIS logs for the site it should give you the full error, including the substatus. It'll also tell you exactly what caused the error, since 403 describes some sort of forbidden action on the part of the client. If its 403.4 then SSL is being required, and its forbidding access without it. 403.5 would be 128 bit SSL required. Other possibilities which I can think of would be 403.7 (requires client certificate), 403.13 (client certificate has been revoked), or any of the others listed on the Microsoft KB article.
  12. 401 isn't a page not found error, that'd be 404. Usually 401 is to do with authentication. The HTTP status codes in IIS 7.0 - IIS HTTP status errors. If you're getting the 401 error, check the authentication methods you're permitting.
  13. I wouldn't necessarily call that stupid. Its also illegal to ride a bike on the pavement, or drive a car. Pavements are for pedestrians. On the road cyclists are enough of a hazard, and at least they tend to stick to straight lines and be fairly visible.
  14. Who? We've never lived in a democracy.
  15. There's always been an AD recycle bin, in a way, with tombstoning when you delete an object. From what I gather the decision to make it difficult to restore objects (unless you just go and get ADrestore of course) was quite deliberate, and was done so that people wouldn't treat AD overly casually.
  16. Which indicates a problem with the attitude towards the young, not that the fine is justified. Then again having had my sister seriously injured a few years ago by a careless skater in a town centre, I can't feel too much sympathy for him.
  17. Can't be that, everyone knows the Sheeple are busy reading celebrity news and don't look at boring political stuff like this. Wait, did I say reading? Watching even.
  18. Well technically you could say that they are acting in our interests. In so far as most people's interests are to have a cushy job, high wage, lots of allowances for first class travel and expensive meals, and so on.
  19. In a way I think this was the most terrifying news story I've heard for some time, and it seems to have been quietly ignored to a large degree. Certainly no one's been called to account for it in the way they should be: BBC NEWS | Politics | Straw vetoes Iraq minutes release I couldn't really care less about the minutes from that particular time, but the fact that the veto in this act has actually been used, and most likely used for little more than to prevent a little bad publicity, truly scares me.
  20. To be fair, it doesn't look like it was his fault personally. The article mentions that 'a member of staff' replied to an e-mail claiming the hotmail account would be deleted if they didn't verify their details. Evidently some of his staff have no idea about internet scams. As to using hotmail for constituency business, how would they all afford their second home allowances, travel allowances and so on if they wasted money on luxuries like personal e-mail servers?
  21. Just dropped you a PM.
  22. This site seems to give a fairly reasonable discussion on the whole thing: PC water cooling basics I wouldn't have thought its too hard at all though, since essentially you're building a normal PC, but cooling it with water rather than a fan. The components are available, and I'd guess you might be looking at most at a couple of hundred more than building a standard PC. Never actually tried it myself though so I could be completely off the mark.
  23. I've got a phone upgrade due in a few months.
  24. There's a tutorial here about using Google Earth Plus, or Pro to do exactly this. Apparently in Google Earth Plus you're limited to 100 items per time for import so you'd have to break it up a little, but I don't see why it wouldn't work otherwise.
  25. There's a web part for doing this recommended by Microsoft and described here: RSS: Really Simple Syndication All you'd need to do is import it, add it to the mysite, and configure it appropriately.
×
×
  • Create New...