Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. Yes! And more than that, allowing all pupils to see each others results is not something I'd want to see. It sounds to me like an invite for bullying and victimisation. Not only that, there's nothing to stop one of the pupils deciding to save it and take it home. I'd say you should stamp on this quickly, and make sure all staff know that its innappropriate. If that means going via SLT then go for it.
  2. If I remember correctly it just kills them completely, but I don't have my supportnet access at the moment. I know that the sysman password can be reset simply enough, and the others can then be reset using that in combination with system manager.
  3. Dropping the database logins in SQL studio resets the passwords, but doesn't kill the usernames themselves.
  4. Since I don't know too much about profile imports I don't know if this'll help or not, but generally with any Sharepoint operation that's hung I find it useful to check the SPAdmin service (Windows Sharepoint Admin service) is running. Restarting the same service may also help. Failing that, running stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs forces any jobs waiting for the timer to run immediately.
  5. I don't think timing out the drives would make your life easier, if only due to the grief it might cause. For the power points and so on then you could assign the computers linked up to projectors or IWBs to a separate OU with a longer timeout, maybe the length of a lesson, or five minutes less.
  6. Thinking about it, if your teachers are leaving the computers unlocked I suspect it wouldn't really help. If you were to set this up they'd just log into the drives and leave them open for later convenience. Staff training's probably a better way, and a five minute lockout policy on the accounts. Maybe several policies, applied according to number of offenses?
  7. jamesb

    Conference call

    If its a WebEx-type thing you want then WebEx maybe? Or I've just found https://www.yugma.com/ which might help. If its phone conferencing, no idea whatsoever. Do people still do that?
  8. Looks to be hardcoded in. The options I've found as a workaround are either using AD to create distribution lists (unlimited size), using a .pst file on the local machine, or nesting smaller groups inside larger ones.
  9. Set the drives as encrypted? That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there's other, simpler ways to do it with less overhead.
  10. Looks like its the switch then. You could try resetting it, which I suspect you've already done, or replacing it if you've got a spare. Is it a managed switch at all? Could it be preventing traffic from reaching that particular IP address? As a random thought, are the clients, the proxy server and the switch using the same subnet mask, and if so are they all on the same net per that mask?
  11. For a bit of troubleshooting, can you get one of the machines either plugged into a different switch, or bypass the switch entirely and see if it makes a difference? That should at least eliminate the switch as the problem, or confirm it. Alternatively see if a laptop plugged into the switch has the same problem. Edit: Any error logs on the clients, or the server?
  12. Try a tracert to the server. Its actually sounding like a problem I hit while in a private school. We had fibre-optic connecting each building, with the art department passing through four buildings on the way to the server room. This was passing straight through, rather than going through switches, and couldn't communicate with servers in the server room, although it could with other computers on the network. Eventually we worked out that the dB loss was increasing with each pass through it made. When talking to the servers the switch was trying to be smart and route directly to the server room. When talking to other stations it was routing through its second fibre connection, to a switch in the next building. The dB loss to the server room was killing any packets going through to there. Eventually it was fixed by just taking out the direct link and resetting the switches. May or may not be relevant to your case. How is the music room connected to everything else?
  13. You need a new fan belt.
  14. So...just about any web-integrated database application then? Are we talking about a large database, small one? Simple database? Complex? Lots of clients all talking to servers scattered around, or all updates from one central server?
  15. What does an NSLookup give you on the proxy from music, and from other stations in the school?
  16. Just heard that down in Woking its seven inches, and still falling. Up here its somewhat less. In fact it was little enough that I made it into work this morning. Although looking at it now I may end up staying at work for a few days...
  17. Okay, just been playing with the Team Discussion web part. Added another list to the site, and a second web part to interact with it so I ended up with the Team Discussion list and the Student Discussion list. Then just set up audiencing so the Team Discussion was assigned to the All Staff group, and the Student Discussion was assigned to the All Students group. Obviously this is a lot less complex than you're looking at, but it seems to have worked. As a Student I can see the Student Discussion, as Staff I can see the Staff Discussion. I also set the relevant permissions on the lists so that Students can't read the Staff list, while Staff can read but not contribute to the Student list. Both can contribute to their own lists. You'll need to create the lists and Sharepoint groups for each subject, but once that's done editing the Audience for each web part is just a case of going to edit the page, edit each web part properties in turn, and set the Target Audiences under advanced settings. Hope that this helps.
  18. Audiencing's performed on web parts, under the web part settings. I'm not sure if you can get a web part that'd act as a portal to your folders, or embed them, but I suspect there's one somewhere. You could then have a page with one web part per folder on, and set them up so that they're visible to the appropriate groups. With permissions of course anyone without access would get the access denied error which you probably want to avoid. Still trying to get my Sharepoint VM working here...it worked yesterday. Edit: Fixed it. What site template are you using exactly?
  19. I'm going to test this out myself. I'd've thought it could be done using audiencing or Sharepoint permissions and AD groups.
  20. It was the morning and I hadn't fuelled up on coffee. Anyway, it sorta works.
  21. The only other thing I've managed to find so far is this: bat.exe - What is bat.exe?
  22. Having been a Dell service engineer, I can say that the majority of people who're actually in the field couldn't care less. The whole thing about having to use Dell branded memory is a mixture of marketing and brand paranoia. Other memory'll work just fine, depending on its quality.
  23. Managed to track down this: type - bat.exe - Program Information
  24. All depends on how ambitious you plan on being. If you just want the SLG parts then WSS3 will be fine. If you want the possibility to massively expand into a full Sharepoint-based VLE and collaboration system with blogs, personal sites for all users, wikis and so on then you probably want MOSS2007. Incidentally with the SLG Provisioning tool you can provision students by class, year, registration group and so on. Makes setting up custom pages for years, subjects, particular groups and so on rather easy, and Sharepoint Audiencing is very effective.
  25. How big is your database file? If its around 4GB then when it runs the backup with dbupgrade it'll be trying to zip it, and there are limits on the .zip format. At that sort of size it becomes very resource intensive and can cause a crash. Best way around it is to do the manual backup using DBAttach so there's no attempt to compress it, then run dbupgrade with the /nobackup switch. I don't know if the .zip problem would cause a full restart or not, but its a possibility.
×
×
  • Create New...