Bompalompalomp
Members-
Posts
772 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Bompalompalomp
-
Ghost Rider by Neil Peart On a bit of a Rush kick...
-
I've been saying this for years! The worst one recently is my partner and her friends were talking about taking a friend to see male strippers. And now I'm getting ads for those same male strippers... I'm a lesbian. I have a massive list of screenshots I've taken when I've noticed it...
-
Honestly disappointed. I donate to multiple privacy groups (ORG seems to be more leve-headed thankfully) and this is something that is so below worth caring about it's ridiculous. There are so many more worthwhile endeavours right now. Cambridge Analytica is about to be exposed and Facebook needs to be taken to task over it! Schools have a duty of care to monitor and safeguard kids under their care. Nobody is checking kids' browser histories outside of school concerns. In most cases (and I agree that it should be) it's transparent in that there's an AUP that's signed by parents/pupils that states what's monitored and agreed to. Schools monitoring pupils under in loco parentis requirements are not comparable to government monitoring of citizens. If you're targeting schools for monitoring data I don't see much difference in targeting parents monitoring their children's data. Digital liberty and privacy is a concern for us all and need to be protected at all costs, but schools are not a worthy target.
-
Booting from USB so that all the drives are for storage.
-
I've got a microserver I've put FreeNAS on and mirrored the drives in it. Haven't had an issue with it, was easy to set up for home use.
-
Bulk cheap ones or the old ones when we get new computers with peripherals in. Mice in suites get vandalised, no point spending much money on replacing them. It's a classroom management issue and needs to be policed by the teachers, no mouse is teenager-proof because they'll find a way if they're bored. Send emails to who needs to know about who was logged in before the damage was logged and who was teaching when the damage happened.
-
So *that's* where the good lineup from last year's Slam Dunk lineup went! Recommend everyone go see Milk Teeth, The Bronx and L7 for me as I won't be there
-
Grass comes back after winter. Trees don't. I had a nightmare when I accidentally cut down all the maple trees on my farm and had to go hunting for a tree in the forest to get a seed from...
-
I like standards, and the round headlight is cute Rode in this morning and it wasn't too bad. The temp is going up here, the only warnings we've had for this week is fog thankfully. I'm so used to a 125 though I'm struggling to keep it below 30! One twist of the wrist on second or third and I'm already breaking the limit...
-
Sorted on Sunday. Cleaned it, then doused it all over in ACF50 head to toe except the brakes. Doesn't feel right spraying liquids onto the electrics though!!
-
Got this in over the weekend. '05 GS500. Few repairs to do to it, need to replace the clutch lever. Named her Luna Just winterised too, spent all of Sunday cleaning.
-
I like standards and cant really afford the insurance on anything bigger and restricted down, so I'm looking at things like in the range of a CB500, GS500 or ER-5 at the moment.
-
CBT is the only one with restrictions for pillions, L plates or no motorways. A1 is the licence up to 125cc so you can have a pillion, ride on motorways (not that you want to on a 125) and have no L plates. Nobody does it really because it's the same as the A2 just on a smaller bike. A2 is the restricted because you're under 24 licence (it's 47BHP, just double checked). After that it's the unrestricted. Same tests just on an 47BHP+ bike and be over 24 or have ridden A2 for 4 years. If you wanted only up to 125 with no L plates and pillion, you'd do just the A1. Most people I know completely skip it though because all it does it get you pulled over because people think you're a learner without L plates!
-
The restricted A2, forget the bhp but around 500-600cc and anything that can be restricted down
-
Passed the MOD 2 first time
-
I'm less nervous about the MOD2 since I know more people fail it and it might not even be up to me if someone else causes a fail, haha. Haven't booked that yet, got the lesson on Sunday so I'll book it after that.
-
Passed Was having an anxiety attack all the way through so got some weird looks, but my only minor was a silly mistake. I stopped so he could tell me what was next, did my observations to move then promptly forgot what he said and asked him to repeat it. Then moved again without redoing the obs... Instantly realised once I'd done it!
-
Have my last training later on today. My training before we did all of those but had to cut short on the emergency stops because of the wet, so should be doing those today. Those are the worst for me since my first drop was braking in the wet, and I had a near miss when somebody had to emergency brake in the middle of an A road because an old man decided to swing a U-turn after missing his exit on an island... If I become PM, all bike tests will just be doing figure-8s for half an hour! I love figure-8s
-
Got my theory done in Feb, been putting off MODs due to increasing anxiety. MOD1 booked for Halloween ()... Annoyingly I stopped talking to the only person I know with a bike I can ride outside of training, so I feel really underprepared since I haven't ridden outside of training and practice since last year.
-
The problem worsens when filtering comes into play, and this rule can't always be applied. When motorcycling, I've had more than once a driver swing open his driver side door while in a single file queue to "quickly" get something out of their boot or back seat, causing me to emergency brake instead of swerving into oncoming traffic.
-
Still kicking myself for not buying when they were £5... And then kicking myself again when they were even £100.... I bought a year of a VPN with bitcoins in December, and decided to leave some extra in the wallet just to sit there. It's gone from £20 to £150, which I guess is nice. Too paranoid to actually withdraw it yet though...
-
I have a document for frequently used support numbers, and I've listed HP as "Voice activated, beware" but their Business/Public Sector Line should be 0207 949 0416
-
Stay away from OKIs if you value your sanity. A mess of toners, compatibility issues with non-originals and error codes that mean 20 different things. Also stay away from HP Officejets if you ever consider inkjet printers. Never had too many problems with their lasers though. I'd go Brother since it's already on your shortlist, the Brothers I've used have all been pretty reliable.
-
Suitability of music used in school productions
Bompalompalomp replied to LeMarchand's topic in General Chat
Personally, Grease is a pet peeve of mine mostly for all the reasons you listed, especially that lyric (which I did not say I condoned) and the ending. My point is that it's so well engrained in culture (it's always on TV during holidays, there's stage musical versions of it that even kids do, the live version on the BBC, etc...) that is *is* undoubtedly a movie that families watch with their children and is considered a family movie and musical. -
Suitability of music used in school productions
Bompalompalomp replied to LeMarchand's topic in General Chat
You can't really avoid cultural osmosis. These songs aren't made for kids, but they're unavoidable to them. They're on TV, on the radio but most importantly they're on the internet where the kids can and will view them no matter what. It's the same argument about performers who happen to have young fans being s*xual. Ariana Grande, Miley & Little Mix are perfectly free to do their own thing however they please, but some people will always throw a fit because they see them as children's pop stars rather than pop stars who happen to have young fans. It's not their fault that children are a fan of their music, but I've had quite a few arguments with men online trying to shame them into "stop dressing like wh***s". They're grown adults who can do what they like. At this point, a lot of songs are more known by kids from covers or other random things they're in (Looking at you, Glee...) than anything someone older might remember it from. And at this point, Grease *is* a family movie that's always on TV, like it or not. Slumdog Millionaire and Jai Ho were everywhere because they were popular and kids are bound to hear it and like it. I see this coming up a lot recently but it's not a new phenomenon, so I'm never quite sure why. It's not like Mambo No.5 or Hit me Baby One More Time were ever the most suitable for my school discos, but they were always played. Kids don't care. Also, Don't Stop Believing was one of my favourite songs as a kid and I have no clue what show you're referencing?
