Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Bompalompalomp

Members
  • Posts

    772
  • Joined

Everything posted by Bompalompalomp

  1. Sure other terms that can mean to both fear and hate, like xenophobia and the like, must be equally as bad then?
  2. I've got a date. I'll look like a cherry tomato by the end of it, I'm sure they'll be impressed.
  3. I'm number 1! Go team! (Ignore those first nine digits, they're not important.)
  4. Hey, that article was informative and adorable. It's their two "are PCs dead?" articles that's getting on my nerves today.
  5. First off, this is such a wonderful thing you're doing. Kudos! @creese, I've been asked to start an ICT club for September, and I'd love to get the kids involved in something like this if you would. Even if the internet access is unreliable or non-existent, there could be work-arounds. I'm planning on involving a lot of photography, basic (stop motion) animation, the basics of systems and components and whatnot. Depending on the kids and their ages/skill levels, maybe simple arduino projects would be more suitable for your situation than Raspberry Pis?
  6. All I have left are dreams~
  7. Seriously... I've just been looking at the documentation and staring at it, dreaming of soon-to-be clear printouts.... :'(
  8. Thanks everyone Sorry for forgetting to reply sooner. We weren't able to sway from RM, so we bought Brother HL-4150 CDNs from them. This seemed like the best one in the price range from them, and it means we only have to buy one type of toner cartridge, as we already have a 4140 upstairs. Should be set up soon (they insisted they set them up, and they're damn slow about it...), so we'll have to see how it goes.
  9. I remember ages ago they said that their work had been broken into and their laptops and equipment stolen, with no external backups. It was some time ago though, seems they bounced back a while ago.
  10. Thought this had gone the way of the dodo after they had all their stuff stolen. Interested in trying the rebuilt version now!
  11. Tell me about it... The school has had them for years, and before I was here they were their only lifeline, and since they manage everything they're mine when I'm learning. But the printers are included in it, so I think the school wants to stay with them because after the cost of buying them, support is free. Drives me mad though because their stuff is overpriced as hell. Consumables however, has me interested. I'll have to ring up on Monday and ask whether or not they'll include support somehow on things bought third party.
  12. Thanks guys, though I've just been informed we have to purchase direct from RM (I'd have loved to go with ICT Direct... ) because of support included and I haven't been told whether or not they have more options than the stuff available on their site. Bleh. Additionally, they need colour printers too.
  13. Hey everyone. My school has always had a bit of a printer problem. So much so, that most of the technical questions in my interview were about printers... Most of the school's laser printers have been running from 2007 following a printer refresh. This includes two Kyocera FS-C5025Ns, one in the middle corridor and one in the ICT room. The developer units in them are going, causing the sides of printouts to be faded, while one spits toner on the paper a lot. The staff hate using them, and throw away half the stuff they print. The accounts manager wanted to prove that new printers would be more economical than a repair (which isn't hard at all, considering the cost of managing them at the moment) so that the governors wouldn't kick up a fuss. I was asked to add the Colour Photocopier as a printer for staff so that they could get clear printouts while we sorted this, so use of the other printers has gone down luckily. But still, over the past two weeks there's been nearly a thousand pages printed on both of them and most of them wasted. Pointless rant over, I'm interested in knowing what printers you guys use, and are pleased with. And if you could, please send help.
  14. When I started recently, the network drives were full. They're only 100 GB each, and RM wanted to charge out the arse for about £450 to double the size, which is ridiculous. Since I'm an apprentice, instead of asking for more money to experiment with a NAS, I thought the quickest and cheapest solution would be to order two 1TB WD Passports, and back up each drive on each. It works for now, but I do eventually want to try a NAS. Though the budget seems to need to be more focused on updating the outdated classroom equipment we have right now.
  15. I would say leave it unblocked. I don't see why anyone would complain when they get accurate results for something they googled. If it does become an issue, which I wouldn't have thought it ever would, restrict it to just articles or wikipedia entries perhaps.
  16. I would not, unless it's a primary school. Things such as women's health (which abortion is a major part of), LGBT informative content and whatnot are infuriating when blocked. Especially for students researching things. Block google image results perhaps, only because of graphic content, but not strictly everything related to it. It may not be suitable, but who will be googling "abortion" on school computers unless they need to? (Actually scratch that, they are kids...) I remember that in high school, researching abortion and LGBT rights for a debate in English class, most of what I needed was blocked. Anything with the word vagina in there was blocked, even health and anatomy-related articles. It's infuriating and does no good.
  17. Great game, I got it a while ago. Seems like they're putting it on sale because Rome: Total War 2 is coming out soon. Sales are probably the best marketing strategy that exists for games on Steam.
  18. Neat! Seems like a much better way than photoshop or the like for quick gifs.
  19. Nice try Microsoft... But not even this will get me to use Bing.
  20. Ugh. Looks like utter tripe. At this point they could have just animated the audiobook and it would be better.
  21. This will definitely come in handy. Thanks!
×
×
  • Create New...