sigma
Members-
Posts
1,681 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sigma
-
The cap is on the unit price. In spite of what Truss implied on the radio this morning, if you use "more than the average amount of energy" you will pay for it accordingly. https://inews.co.uk/news/energy-price-cap-how-work-what-2500-mean-bills-liz-truss-explained-1884466
-
DDOS - the computing curriculum, and filtering
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
My perspective is basically this: There is a complete and utter disconnect between what is, and I do think should be taught in the Computing curriculum and the NCA. Maybe I'm joining up dots that don't exist, but stay with me... This report from Graham Cluley (well known expert) https://www.bitdefender.com/blog/hotforsecurity/nine-year-old-kids-are-launching-ddos-attacks-against-schools/ The NCA Report https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/rise-in-school-cyber-crime-attacks-sparks-nca-education-drive and The Police's Cyber Prevent Network is *sigh* https://cyberalarm.police.uk/ We can allow pupils to seach for DDOS (or other terms) by overriding the NCA filter categories, or even turn the categories off to allow the curriculum to be taught If we get to the point where Cyberalarm HAS to be installed, and we know it picks out searches for DDOS and other curriculum relevant terms, I don't want to see any of our pupils (or anybody else's) being fingered by Plod for simply doing their school work. Ultimately, the NCA and the Curriculum boards need to get together and sort this out maybe involving the school ISP's as well. I also got some verbal abuse from a school ISP on Twitter when I mentioned this there some time ago. -
DDOS - the computing curriculum, and filtering
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
We did have one pupil that decided "in a very limited and specific way" that there was a practical exercise associated with it..... -
DDOS attacks are a topic that is taught in the computing curriculum. The word "DDOS" is filtered on the NCA list(s) in Netsweeper filtering and so all web content is blocked. I am completely divided as to whether I should suggest that we override this block. On the one hand, we have to ensure that the curriculum can be taught, and that generally involves being able to to read around and research the subject. On the other, it would probably provide too much instruction on how to perform a DDOS attack, and not just for example, read the WIKI entry on what a DDOS attack is. How do others deal with this?
-
We had the panels in 2010/11 and the FIT guarenteed for we think for us 25 years. It stays with the house if we ever move. The new rate is set every April and goes up every year.
-
I am on the FIT tarriff that currently pays 62.3p per Kw for what we generate and 2.15p for what we export which is calculated on the basis of 50% of what we generate, so I don't think we would get more.
-
I have a couple of these. https://www.theowl.com/index.php/energy-monitors/standalone-monitors/owl-usb/ The one that measures consumption for around 15 or so years, the one that measures generation from the panels for around 12 years. I am resisting a smart meter since they can't tell me anything I don't already know.
-
Microsoft seem to have acknowledged a problem affecting GPs in the Cumulative Update that is fixed in the Preview. I will skip the September Update and look at the October one. More about the issues here:
-
http://www.edugeek.net/forums/netbooks-pda-phones/220201-dfe-dynabook-et10-g-105-windows-tablet-attachable-keyboard-drivers.html#post1907949
-
Monitoring search engine usage
sigma replied to Julian1's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Impero can also be configured to do it, so can Netsweeper - I would excpect such terms to be in mornitoring categories for both products - such as one of the NCA lists, or can be configured manually. -
I noticed that in WSUS the 2022-09 win 10 cumulative update for 21H2 had been superseded by a preview version, but it is still there. I won't be approving for install on my test group for another week yet, so I hope it gets sorted. I won't be installing the preview version.
-
I have just bought a genuine replacement HP charger from https://www.coywood.co.uk/ A UK company located in the UK. It was complete - even with all the product safety notices and MUCH cheaper than HP, though a touch more expensive than from some of the more questionable random sites. Mine was a similar price to this: https://www.coywood.co.uk/hp-250-g6-notebook-charger-65645-p.asp £29.50 plus delivery.
-
Happy Schools Broadband customer here.
-
Teacher training - what fundamental skills should be expected from a teacher
sigma replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
I would expect that teachers would be able to read the T's&C's of a website or online service and understand this if it says that you must be over 18 to use it, they shouldn't be incorporating it into their KS3/4 lessons nor signing pupils up. Ditto curriculum advisors. -
Have you searched on the HP website for the actual product number or serial number of the laptop? I had a similar experience recently looking for the same model number of the charger I had, and HP offered their latest compatible charger for the HP laptop which was considerably cheaper, ~ £25-35 IIRC inc VAT and shipping. It had the same spec, but was a different model number from the one originally suppled, presumably from a different manufacturer. It also came with a proper warranty I think. I have also had bad experiences with cheap chargers ordered by office managers who though they knew better and didn't order exactly what I specified. They all had to be binned. When ever I have used 3rd party battery suppliers, "I" have still only ever bought genuine originals.
-
Netsweeper - am I being unrealistic?
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have PIPCU and Copyright Infringement as categories within Security in Netsweeper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Intellectual_Property_Crime_Unit <-- Who supply their list. Curiously (I digress): I blocked that again manually this week. hxxps://newcp.net The PIPCU list is the responsibility of PIPCU and I guess the unit is under resourced. https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/club-penguin-rewritten-presumably-shut-down-by-disney -
Netsweeper - am I being unrealistic?
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Having used both, I'm still more comfortable with Netsweeper at the moment. I think there is an element of overselling of both. -
Netsweeper - am I being unrealistic?
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Many thanks. 2 things. Yes, I would chuck it under the copyright/piracy bus as its playing films some of which are current cinema releases, but as I detailed previously, primewire.mx is categorised as streaming media and copyright infringement, but primewire.live and primewire.id etc are basically clones and are not. Secondly: https://saferinternet.org.uk/guide-and-resource/teachers-and-school-staff/appropriate-filtering-and-monitoring/appropriate-filtering I appreciate that we are dealing with a dynamic situation but we are provided with these tools that are supposed to be able to respond automatically and hopefully with some consistancy. I'm not sure it's managing for our school without what feels like significant intervention from me. I do support another school that has a different ISP and filtering supplier, so I'll try these there and see what I get. I still prefer Netsweeper though. -
Netsweeper - am I being unrealistic?
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
"Ignoring the legalities of live streaming movies?" You called them "streaming"? That does suggest they should be automatically categorised as "streaming". As far as legaility is concerned, I don't think copyright breaking films and ("18" rated material) should be available in school (on school equipment or via school networks), to minors, and has the potential to bring the school into disrepute or worse. -
Netsweeper - am I being unrealistic?
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
It would be a fix, but since Netsweeper has a "streaming" category, which is blocked here for pupils, and streaming movies are "streaming" and these are "unlawful" they should be blocked under copyright infringement as well (That's the PIPCU category I think?) in the same way that primewire.mx already is. That the same sites are also unfiltered for you suggests a product deficiency/fail and not a broadband provider issue. -
Netsweeper - am I being unrealistic?
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
These are not blocked by my pupil filter category blocks right now. I will put them on my local list and report them via the url alert before pupils return, but would have expected them to be caught automatically. https://web.azarlive.com/match/ I've not tried signing in, but it accepts a Google or Apple account. That rings a rather load safeguarding alarm to me. Ts&Cs state you should be 17. Or mili.live Registration or sign up with Google. States you should be 18 From their Google Ad: -
Netsweeper - am I being unrealistic?
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Yes. For example,today I blocked: talk.chat - Chat with strangers ww2.1primewire.com - Movies which played primewire.live - Movies which played primewire.today - Movies which played primewire.id - Movies which played Yesterday: fruzo.com - Chat with strangers chathub.cam - Videochat with strangers There were others over the last couple of weeks such as hdmovie2.plus. I blocked primewire ages ago in Impero I reported all these via the url alert feature, talk.chat at least has been recatgorised now, but I was able to access it via the pupil proxy earlier today. -
I'm moving a load of blocks from local Impero to cloud Netsweeper (Schoolsbroadband), and testing to see if sites are already blocked (or still exist) by Netsweeper as I go. I am somewhat surprised that a number of sites with "full movies", "chat with strangers" and "video chat with strangers" are not filtered for pupils. They are loading immediately and not going into the categorising routine. Some of these I have had blocked for quite a while, others I'm finding as I'm checking up as I go. Am I being unrealistic in assuming that "bad things are blocked" as I have the categories they would naturally fall into blocked, especially where safeguarding is concerned or should I spend more time being pro-active rather than mopping up after pupils have accessed them?
-
Student hack - a tale with pictures.
sigma replied to sigma's topic in Network and Classroom Management
I was quite shocked at the idea of storing unencrypted keystroke logs! -
This was presented at DEFCON. A tale of a classroom management system and default passwords. https://whitehoodhacker.net/dc30-the-big-rick.pdf
