Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sigma

Members
  • Posts

    1,681
  • Joined

Everything posted by sigma

  1. Are you clearing cache, cookies or history in Group Policies?
  2. Quite, but all indications are it's the Realtek signed driver which is going out to all the OEMs. Don't know why the OEM's aren't giving them pain....
  3. I've emailed Realtek since there's nothing whatsoever from Lenovo. I suppose I'm not really expecting a reply from them though either, sadly.
  4. Except for those that have physical tasks involving specialist equipment. Even so, I agree.
  5. Just occasionally, you need to go back to older drivers (if you can find them) as once an error is baked in it can be carried forward to later versions.
  6. From Twitter: https://twitter.com/karamballes/status/1315089898655883266/photo/1 Worrying.
  7. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/08/more-than-80-positive-cases-in-covid-study-had-no-core-symptoms I guess they mean schools as well.
  8. From Dell referencing Intel WiFi cards: https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-uk/sln285293/change-the-intel-advanced-wi-fi-adapter-settings-to-improve-slow-performance-and-intermittent-connections?lang=en#Windows_10 In the Property: box, touch or click Roaming Aggressiveness and select 1. Lowest from the drop-down menu under Value:. Note: This setting is suggested for home wireless networks. When you are on a business network and move from place to place, the setting should be set to 3. Medium. As yet I can't find a specific reference to Realtek Advanced settings.
  9. So, I've grabbed a few different model laptops, inspected their wireless card properties and they are all set to "Medium". I've taken another one of these Lenovo's, these seem to be set to "Low" by default and changed that to "Medium". I'll see how that goes.
  10. I've installed 214 on one laptop now. Observations. I was told that the laptop I installed it on was working well at school and home. As soon as I took it to my normal work area and powered it up, it failed to find the network again, but this is on a different access point on the same network. When I originally imaged these laptops, I was connected to an access point that is fairly seldom used, When restarted in their teaching rooms, none could find the network and I had to reset them all again. I'm wondering if the problem is associated with reconnecting to the same network on a different access point which would explain why they sometimes work? I've not needed to change "roaming sensitivity" before, and will look into that.
  11. I mostly am. I'm also not going onsite to 2 primaries until after the kids have gone home. Then masked, gloved, flinging open windows and doors, spraying and wiping as I go. Getting home, clothes straight in the wash and me in the shower.
  12. I get that. My sister works in a clothes shop, and when they opened up they offered free paper masks. People were picking them them up in multiples, so they then started handing them out individually, then people were going into the shop to get the mask, and going straight out again. It’s a fine balance between making them free - which they could, and it being abused.
  13. I have found... The driver in the Lenovo package is documented on the website as 113, what is installed is 121. Microsoft have driver from Realtek which is 124, but it’s not offered in WU and won’t install manually. There’s nothing on Realtek’s website for this device at all. There are lots of reports on the interwebs reporting problems, but nothing seemingly to provide a permanent fix.
  14. Which wireless card do they have?
  15. I’m finding that the quickest bypass is first an ipconfig /release ipconfig/renew which both appear to fail but must be doing something as a device disable then enable puts it straight back on the connection properly.
  16. I have no supermarket loyalty and use them all from time to time depending... Got this in the email from ASDA this morning: If a customer does not have a covering when they enter the store, they will be offered a pack of disposable masks that they can pay for as they complete their shopping. Gets my approval.
  17. Ramdomly for my users. They are teachers so take the devices home. Will try reinstalling the drivers though. Thanks.
  18. Worth noting that its not just a Lenovo thing, there are posts on HP's forums about this wifi card too.
  19. That package is for "Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (1903 or later)" which may well work for you, but as I am using LTSC (1809) does not work for me.
  20. This worked for the missing driver for me after I re-imaged to LTSC (1809) https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-v-series-laptops/v15-iil/solutions/HT510903-UNKNOWN-DEVICE-AFTER-BIOS-UPDATE-IDEAPAD-V14-IIL15-IIL-AND-S145-IIL
  21. I have some of these too. I have installed all the drivers successfully, no missing devices, but still have the wifi issue. I have raised a ticket with Lenovo, but no resolution or anything as yet.
  22. I am most concerned about people not quarantining propropely and the current shortfall in Track and Trace and testing. These seem to be essential to me if we are to preserve any aspects of the economy. To get people to quarantine properly they must be paid and supported.
  23. We got a couple. Is giving out totally inadequate laptops to underprivileged kids a thing now?
  24. There is mounting evidence about direct transmission through airborne particles being the main vector. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/why-arent-we-talking-more-about-airborne-transmission/614737/ In light of this, a full return and a banning of masks look increasingly dumb. I have 2 questions - apologies if they have been asked before. 1. If you have symptoms and get a negative test result, why are schools still the only setting where a quarantine period is not allowed? 2. If somebody in your school tests positive, are you certain that you will be told? Will they be named? 3. If somebody in your school tests positive do you know exactly what the process will be to stop the spread? Will those they travel to school with be quarantined? Will the bubble be quarantined? Will all teaching and support staff that they have had prolonged (say over 10 mins in the same room) be quarantined? It all seems a bit vague at the moment.
  25. I went to Tesco - smallish branch on Tuesday evening. Not that many in masks but not busy either. Generally good etiquette as we stepped aside from each other and stood back to let others pass. Waitrose still has announcements to remind about social distancing. I’m braving a hair cut next week but confess to abject fear if I think about it.
×
×
  • Create New...