sigma
Members-
Posts
1,681 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sigma
-
Visually impaired help - mirroring teachers laptop screen
sigma replied to witch's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
I’ve used UltraVNC in a similar situation which seemed to work OK. Did require fixed IPs though. -
Offerings from Prowise and VeiwSonic spring to mind, but there were others.
-
The are plenty of other better free software alternatives for touchscreens. Free touchscreen software was being pushed quite hard at BETT this year. Knowing that nothing is really free, I’ve not looked at any of the Ts&Cs or Privacy Policies to see what’s really going on though. My impression at BETT this year was that all of the touchscreens and the software was much of a muchness, and I feel that both the boards and the software have become commodity items. All this tech and I still see so many teachers just displaying PowerPoints.
-
What's the oldest bit of kit you still have running?
sigma replied to PrimaryTech's topic in General Chat
No idea, it was whatever they had at Honeywell in Brentford. My teacher, Mrs Berners Lee apparently had contacts that would run our programs for us. I’m really an IBM/360/370 kind of person. -
What's the oldest bit of kit you still have running?
sigma replied to PrimaryTech's topic in General Chat
I still have the paper tape of the very first program I ever wrote. We wrote the program on coding paper and it was taken to the local Honeywell office for it to be punched. We were the first class to do programming as an extra curricula activity at my school. Circa 1976. Of course that makes me vintage also. -
I’d like to get the sparklebox account taken down on Twitter. Perhaps others might join me in reporting it?
-
I block all sparklebox and sparklebox2 domains at all schools I support. Since GDPR it’s harder to see what other domains he owns. Although I get support for this from heads, I still get a lot of whinging from teachers who just go home and download his stuff from there. No ethics.
-
Serverless Schools - Thoughts, Tips and the Reality!
sigma replied to Mr.Ben's topic in Cloud Services
I generally don’t enforce passwords for KS1 until the teachers ask for them, but do have individual accounts for them. School size is irrelevant. I have supported schools where the teacher has a card for each child with their user name and password for KS1 which they dish out at the beginning of lessons. All the KS2 pupils in all the primaries I support cope with passwords. I insist on memorable rather than strong passwords as they can’t get a reset when I’m not there. If they can’t think of a password, I offer https://www.dinopass.com/ and they usually settle on something quite quickly. -
https://boxallprofile.org/privacy A data harvester. Did anyone ask the parents?
-
Posting here rather than an email (as we work together) in case anyone else can shed any light on this update. On the one in the meeting room, (which I have otherwise tinkered around with earlier), I can get it to work by removing (and replacing), the power lead after shutting down, but before sending the magic packet. PC boots perfectly. However, if I shutdown and sent the magic packet again, I get the error. It only works if I remove the power lead before sending the magic packet. I got the idea from here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-290-G1-boot-problem-with-wake-up-on-LAN-WOL/td-p/6760545 Can't seem to find a permanent fix though. I'll try and remember to bring a small usb in with me tomorrow.
-
(Mac only ATM) Article: https://gizmodo.com/this-simple-tool-will-reveal-the-secret-life-of-your-sm-1832264323 Tool: https://iot-inspector.princeton.edu/
-
OTOH, kb4493509 seems to be causing a lot of problems: https://borncity.com/win/2019/04/12/windows-10-v1809-slow-down-with-update-kb4493509 https://windowsreport.com/kb4493509-bugs/
-
My school has offered to pay for an online training course that I can complete during my working hours - from Udemy for example. This will be my first technical training in 16 years. As I am only part-time, I will only get the part-time fraction of training that my full time colleagues will get. I currently support, Server 2008, 20012, 2016 and shortly 2019. Win 7,10, 8.1 and 10. Anti-virus and WSUS. I have been asked what area of training I would be interested in. I have no idea what to ask for. I don't know what I don't know, so am bothered I will either end up covering things I know, or I will get something too advanced and end up not following it - if it assumes a level of knowledge I don't have. I probably won't get any more training for another 4 years, so I don't want to waste this opportunity. I don't know if I would be best to stick to fundamentals such as Server 2019 or more specialist such as SCCM. Any advice would be welcome.
-
I left when one of my schools was offline on Thursday lunchtime. Gobsmaked that its still a problem! Nothing but issues. There is one person in SCC Networks who genuinely tries to help, but otherwise its rubbish. From my post above from last September: Still no Privacy Policy. We have a Privacy Policy, but it falls so far short of what is required that it is a joke. We don't know what the data retention periods are who who has access to all our browsing logs or what the Decrypt/inspect policy is. It is unclear what conditions for processing Schools'Choice are relying on. It is still an issue that we can't change the Smoothwall password and that it is shared with SCC School's Choice, MLL and Smoothwall. Still takes ages to navigate into reports. Still does. I don't always get the report I asked for. Still happens It times out in the middle of doing things. Still does The Policy tester doesn't work. Still doesn't Safeguarding reports don't work. Still don't Can't run some detailed reorts for some small time periods. Still can't Can't unblock or block anything that is case sensitive such as specific Youtube videos. Still can't. Global changes happen such as new categories which are set without being informed. Still happening Lack of timely response to dealing wth queries/problems I'm still waiting. I'm having difficulty geting anyone to look at blocks where there's no screenshot of it even if there's a log entry, and far from all blocks are related to browsing. Its getting increasingly difficult to run reports or look at logs because its slow slow and times out. There seems to be a new problem management system and the emails it generates are now "SCC" rather than School's Choice. I never saw any communication about it and its been far from seemless trying to keep track on problem numbers from The Old system, the MLL number, the Smoothwall number and the new SCC number. It makes for a lot of farting about. I've stopped bothering since very little gets resolved and as "we" cannot access the problem management system I assume they mostly get closed and forgotten about. Did I ever mention that the Microsoft task that revokes expired or depracated SSL certificates is blocked? It was apparenltly blocked for everyone. I had it unblocked for the schools I support but they refused to unblock it for everyone. I'm down to two schools still using County Broadband and that's 2 too many.
-
Apologies that this is from Twitter. First post in the thread Cortana anyone? Do you have Microsoft as a joint Data Controller in your GDPR documentation?
-
https://www.privacycompany.eu/en/impact-assessment-shows-privacy-risks-microsoft-office-proplus-enterprise/ In summary: Full report in English : https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/binaries/rijksoverheid/documenten/rapporten/2018/11/07/data-protection-impact-assessment-op-microsoft-office/DPIA+Microsoft+Office+2016+and+365+-+20191105.pdf
-
Darktrace - Threat Visualizer
sigma replied to bodminman's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Regardless of the tech, it has the appearance of a web of corruption. https://www.legaltechnology.com/latest-news/former-autonomy-cfo-darktrace-director-sushovan-hussain-convicted-of-fraud/ Former Autonomy CFO & Darktrace director Sushovan Hussain convicted of fraud 1/5/18 Meanwhile, in the UK: https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/business/business-news/watchdog-probes-finance-chiefs-over-14730642 -
Darktrace - Threat Visualizer
sigma replied to bodminman's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Accommodation addresses all around the world, still raising venture capital and a number of executives listed for whom "Darktrace" is just one of their employers. From their last accounts filed at Companies House: Ignoring the repeated use of the phrase "World Leading"... Turnover increased from £17.1m to £30.8m. Operating LOSS increased from £9.6m to £24.4m Darktrace has raised a total of $229.5M in funding over 6 rounds. Their latest funding was raised on Sep 26, 2018 from a Series E round. I'm not sure I'd risk it unless its cheap enough that you could afford for the contract to go pear shaped. BT has had contracts with complete dogs before such as Phorm and Rocking Frog. -
You mean your schools pay for and/or give time for training? In my experience, CPD is only for teachers or TAs.
-
They Shall Not Grow Old - Schools DVD - Won't Play
sigma replied to FragglePete's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Sounds like a missing CODEC. -
I've not watched it yet. Having been advised not to watch the previous episode because of a particular phobia, I've kind of lost the momentum to bother. That hasn't happened for a looong time.
-
Why you have (probably) already bought your last car
sigma replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
I'll just leave this here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-10/200039-windows-10-v1809-released-8.html#post1711694 -
Why you have (probably) already bought your last car
sigma replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
I think this will be another case of the rural population being left behind again... Hm. -
Looks like it. HP's recent changes to their drivers download pages aren't great either and not to mention when they just don't download.
