Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sigma

Members
  • Posts

    1,681
  • Joined

Everything posted by sigma

  1. Any decent filter should reclassify pages after a certain amount of time to account for changes.. Mostly they classify the domain which is why this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ab7a165a-3904-477b-8878-e55833f44e1a (Please excuse. It's my goto test page to test classification. My filter classifies it a "General News"). is marked as fine for KS1 and KS2 (usually), even though the BBC state that BBC3 is not designed for young children. We have such a group.
  2. Not to mention "paraphrasing tools" that I caught one pupil using in school a couple of years ago. I also monitor what pupils do in Python with Impero taking a screenshot when particular commands are used. I am a bit of a pedant on Ts&Cs and Privacy Policies. We don't have a 6th form, so sites that state you must be 18 to have an account have "account access" blocked for pupils. That includes ChatGPT.
  3. I'm not trying to be unhelpful, but most of the useful reports I generate are geared around blocked content by category. That flags up where I need to audit what pupils have tried to access and accessed during the time-frame, and to see the route they got there. Frequently they go directly to site wthout searching. An audit trail might show sites that should be blocked and are not correctly categorised. That happens for me more reguarly than it should. I get a daily bad search keyword report, but aside from the FPs which I can then mitigate, it rarely throws up anything useful. Every pupil knows that if you want to search for "bomb" and not get caught, you mis-spell it such as "b omb" or "bo mb" etc, Google will present the results for "bomb" without them having searched directly for it, so you miss it. There are false positives such a "WW2 bomb attack" or "ice-cream bomb" which could be curriculum work. If a pupil searches for some thing such as "bombadier" and gets as far as typing "bomb" before clicking on "bombadier" as a Google search suggestion, the google search url parameters will still include the word "bomb" and it shows up in my keyword report although the pupil searched for no such thing. I think what I'm saying is I want to know about pupils who attempt to access "bomb" in the context of terroism, criminal skills etc and not in the context of the History curriculum or food and I admit I am still struggling to achieve that because I still don't find the categorisation engines accurate or granular enough. I want know if somebody searches for "AK 47" the gun, but less so the movie but it's only when they attempt to access the content that we can know what the context of the search is. I hope you find a useful list. The list I was gifted isn't.
  4. Hi Tom, I think it would be unprofessional for me to say who it is, and I suspect its the upstream configuration and not the product per se that is the issue here.
  5. Hi Tom, I think it would be unprofessional for me to say who it is, and I suspect its the upstream configuration and not the product per se.
  6. Hi Tom, I appreciate your response, but actually, it’s not Smoothwall in this instance. I have no real objection when OK images are blocked from ‘not OK’ domains, but I have so many of this type of thing, and too many occurrences of things which really are a safeguarding issue. - such as ‘yet another site’ offering online chat or video chat with adult strangers that does slip through that I wondered if there was anything better. (I know when pupils find these sites as they start with ones that are blocked and reported on and keep going until they find one which works, then they get caught in one of my ‘logon’, or create account traps).
  7. Does your system flag up as "Safeguarding" a blocked image result for say a "Coca cola" bottle because the Google image search result found it on a domain that was categorised as "alcohol"? I'm talking about the Google image search result web page where the image is blocked because domain is "alcohol" and the pupil only ever searched for a Coca Cola bottle image and never moved from Google. I am going under with false positives and sloppy categorisations.
  8. I got into a loop as the Online Filtering and Monitoring stuff also refers you back to KCSiE etc. The ISP keep the logs for 2 years, but don't (currently) provide access to them. I've requested access. I already export my own extracts and do daily checks (because of timeliness), with records moved to appropriate systems as you suggest. There are times when I want to go back to the original sounce to identify exactly when when something I identify as a recent trend started for example.
  9. Its been cool in the East until this weekend. I've only just broken out summer clothes.
  10. I'm trying (and failing) to find in KCSIE a statement to support log retention periods for filtering/monitoring - either a requirement or guidance. My ISP provided cloud based service only provides me access to a months worth of data.
  11. sigma

    esports routing

    I assume your pupils are old enough to comply with the T's&C's?
  12. Another factor that appears to have some significance in recent exess death numbers is delays in ambulance response times. Actuarial data also seems to be a reliable source of information to combine with medical data.
  13. Tiny Primary uses Smoothwall provided by the LA with the broadband. Reporting is very slow compared to having our own appliance and the local customisation available is very restricted, though the LA have always been very responsive when I have needed changes outside of my access. I have always felt that buying into anything that comes bundled "and preconfigured" by the broadband supplier means that I can justify backing off some/most of the risks onto them. Don't be afraid to try negociate on price. Suppliers (not LA's), are often more flexible at the end of one of their reporting periods so that the sales team can make their numbers and get their bonuses. If you really want a Smoothwall, I think there are 3rd party suppliers that might offer a better deal?
  14. Nor mine other than it’s what I’ve always been advised as an Education option.
  15. I also look after a small rural Primay - just 3 classrooms. We have a Microsoft Licence agreement through Phoenix - so I buy kit with Home Edition or whatever is best price whih I then re-image as I think this works out cheaper as far as laptops are concerned and does not stop us moving forwards with software versions "in our own time". I had 14 decent pupil laptops, and have just bought another 28 to replace the 10 year old tat and donated tat.
  16. I have not found it easy to manage an inherited Google Workspace for Edu (that was setup by a teacher), and am still spending a disproportionate amount of time poking about. I've probably missed loads. .
  17. "You must be at least 13 years old to use the Services" is definitive and there is no stated exception for teachers or schools. You would absolutely be in breach of the Terms if you allowed under 13's to use it. There could also be a safeguarding issue as ChatGPT will return content to you that may not be appropriate for under 13's. There may be another similar service that would be more suitable.
  18. Chipset Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family Driver for COMPAL - You might find something better archived for COMPAL https://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/mobile-intelr-965-express-chipset-family-driver/download/92009738/0C47568236224FDAB1AB1E0FE40811E7/PCI%5CVEN_8086%26DEV_2A03 Intel® 82946GZ Graphics Controller https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/81525/graphics/legacy-graphics/graphics-drivers-for-intel-82946gz-graphics-controller.html and https://www.hwdrivers.com/hw_ids/c51960 Webcam - https://drivers.eu/DeviceId/USB%5CVID_04F2%26PID_B052 The modem device is Motorola - that might take a bit of finding You are going to have to scratch about for these, but they can probably all be found. You might have to install some in compatibility mode.
  19. That would be in breach of their T's&C's. https://openai.com/policies/terms-of-use 1. Registration and Access
  20. Similar here, except I delay most updates until the beginning of the next calendar month (Microsoft don't pay me to Beta test), then target my test devices and only after they have successfully installed do they go to the more critical devices. I sometimes single thread updates to laptops that require a reboot. Obviously truely urgent updates go out pronto.
  21. Never really used to be a thing (or used to have clean versions released for general broadcast), but are now mainstream and "award winning". Filtered or not for KS3/4 ? We currently "alert" but it's getting too busy.
  22. When I was young, my Mum and Dad used to take me to see the Trooping of the Colour. In those days, there were no crowd barriers on The Mall and you stood right on the curb. If you were a child (and you were not sitting on your Dad's shoulders), children were all let throught to the front so they could see well, and it didn't seem to matter you were out of sight of your parents. When the processions were using the full width of The Mall you could have touched them as they went past, they were that close. You could feel the vibration of all those feet marching and when the bands went past, it was phenomenal to my young ears. Anyway, to get back on point, they would sweep up (roadsweepers with barrows), after the horses on the way to the Trooping and again on the way back.
  23. Blocked "Timewasting", along with "What Disney Princess am I" quizzes, and "Flag quizzes" that don't quite cut it as Geography revision. Yes, I know these are technical solutions to classroom managment issues.
  24. My paternal grandparents used to say that!
  25. I’ve got some V15’s which I’m happy with. I have had issues with ASUS support in the past so don’t buy them. I tend not buy extended warranty any more. These core-i5 units were cheap relative to the cost of extended warranty.
×
×
  • Create New...