Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sigma

Members
  • Posts

    1,681
  • Joined

Everything posted by sigma

  1. Long hair tied back does help reduce nits.
  2. Generic uniforms yes, but a firm no, to schools specifying specific clothing items that are expensive, poor quality and can't be tumble dried. An even firmer no to where the school receives a financial kick-back from each purchase. When I was at school, we had to wear green knickers (as part of the uniform), and were not allowed to either play sport outside or sit out on a groundsheet in the summer unless we were wearing the right uniform knickers.
  3. Blocked completely for "random browsing" (timewasting and inappropriate content). Sites used in school that have embedded YouTube are allowed to run those videos and and particular videos that staff ask that pupils can access are allowed. This is easily set up in a few lines with Netsweeper, but I imagine other filters have a similar facility. This applies to other streaming video platforms such as Vimeo.
  4. I bought a tree. Acer rubrum October Glory. 25% off, so tree and delivery are less than the original cost of the tree.
  5. I find the following in a command prompt (Can't remember if it needs to elevated), seems to bring things back in line when there are unexplainable/random time problems: net stop w32time w32tm /unregister w32tm /register net start w32time
  6. Pull off a Netsweeper report for a timed test from 2 mins before to 2 mins after, just the person or policy group, find the entry where they access the site and see what follows as denied. Sorry if this akin to sucking eggs.
  7. I don't think Impero will see the web stream and you will need to use a filter. Netsweeper describe the issue here, but the principle will be the same: https://support.netsweeper.com/hc/en-us/articles/4483169560212-YouTube-being-allowed-in-Chrome-via-Google-searches-despite-being-blocked-as-a-Category-or-List-Rule
  8. No further feedback on the Status Portal or support ticket. Still not working properly.
  9. Many years ago, when I was a kid, all the poppies were paper with a grey wire stalk. I suspect the black bit in the middle was a plastic, but it was stamped “Haig Fund” rather than “Poppy Appeal”. They were also a little larger than the ones we get today.
  10. The trouble with replit is it hosts a lot of web proxies and as they are so prolific and regularly updated, the filters struggle to keep up.
  11. We are being served with too many policies that can appear to conflict at times such as the Cybersecurity policy of needing 2FA and the new policy of disallowing pupils access to mobile phones. I’m sure there are others. As far as selling personal data, is concerned, of course schools won’t directly, but without delving properly into online ad blocking and tracking there will be a fair bit ‘gifted’ to Axicom and their ilk, just from browsing and not forgetting that which is sold/gifted by the DfE. https://schoolsweek.co.uk/dfe-reprimanded-after-pupil-data-used-by-gambling-firms/ Sorry, I digress.
  12. Having thought a bit more about this, the monitoring that bothers me the most because we know about the false positive, false negative and other errors that creep into supposedly ‘intelligent’ categorisation algorithms is the online “mental health” monitoring. Different, but we had a pupil last year that hit a National Crime Agency block list and got a very stern warning for just Googling their own name. No pupil should be ever humiliated that way, and that blocklist is off now.
  13. Grief, it’s against Netflix’s t‘s&c’s. I’ve wielded my ban-hammer on all those personal accounts for video streaming. In answer to the original question. We have a teaching desktop in the classrooms and teaching staff get laptops they can take home too. I have mostly worked from home since Feb 2020 and have 2 school laptops!
  14. I briefly worked as a contractor in a primary school and got called to a classroom because a Smartboard was no longer interactive. I removed the usb cable from the network socket of her laptop and plugged it into the usb port, tapped the board with the pen and it worked. The teacher then removed the usb cable from the usb port and put it in the network socket telling me that that was the socket it had always worked in and that I needed to make that work. I explained that it should be plugged into the usb socket, but she wasn’t having it and complained about me. She was ignorant, inarticulate and rude. I have no idea how she qualified as a teacher.
  15. If your children or you have covid as I understand it they can still go to school and you can go to work. We are still shielding.
  16. Just in case, you have trusted the ssl certs as well as installing them? This describes the method: https://support.securly.com/hc/en-us/articles/206978437-How-do-I-deploy-Securly-SSL-certificate-to-iOS-
  17. You can prise my One+ out of my cold dead hands.
  18. I would have been a refusenik too. I use Signal for the same reason.
  19. If you have access to a microwave, then a jacket potato could be a possibility.
  20. I've been at our High School since before the "Laptops for Teachers" scheme had its first iteration, when the then Head stated that "this is a perk from the government for you and your family to use at home". These were the Dell 505s. So, I've been round the just desktops and just laptops roundabout. Just desktops works until you find teachers putting data that is covered by GDPR onto their own devices and effectivily out of the school's control. When it was just laptops, there were teachers that "never" managed to connect their laptops to the board themselves every time they went to a new room. Apparent loss of teaching time and overhead on us was deemed unacceptable. In both schools I work at, there's a fixed desktop in classrooms and the teaching staff all have a laptop. Most likely not new (ex laptop trolley), but still servicable for their needs.
  21. Have you asked your local Trading Standards if they know who could provide such a service?
  22. We have always had Twitter (all Social Networking) blocked for pupils, but not for staff. The reason I am getting sweaty about it is that I've realised our ISP has twitter images "globally whitelisted" (and not decrypted) and the alarm has only just gone off in my brain that this is overriding the Social Networking block I have in place and expect to work for Pupils for Twitter images. (Runs a report on pupils, yes its true). I have been having a deeper dive into our filtering because of KCSIE and being aware of other over-blocking and under blocking issues that are a nuisance but not generally dangerous, although the ISP advice on the way to correct them is. I am now finding some big holes like this, and instead of fixing them, I'm getting prevarication and pushback from them, even on this. I shouldn’t be having to do a whole url by url, word by word setup myself because of their inept (there's a lot of advertising whitelisted amongst other things) and dangerous configuration and some of it is impossible to mitigate in my avaiable settings. I am completely and utterly exasperated.
  23. I cracked some ribs when I came off my skis. some years ago. If I needed to cough, the physio taught me to place my hand over the affected area and then to brace the same arm against a wall to keep the ribs still, which did seem to help.
  24. https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/27/twitter-csam-dom-lucre-elon-musk/ Many subreddits are now blocking any links to Twitter because of this. 1. Can we be certain that the filtering on our networks will block illegal images embedded in Twitter? 2. Is it time for schools to reconsider whether Twitter is still a suitable platform to have a presence?
×
×
  • Create New...