Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sigma

Members
  • Posts

    1,681
  • Joined

Everything posted by sigma

  1. We had similar symptoms with Win10 on some Lenovo laptops with RealTek wireless. Updated drivers seemed to improve the situation for us. Lenovo had to go back to RealTek though as it was the drivers that Lenovo provided that were faulty.
  2. "I don't go to the supermarket, they come to me" It's about 10 miles to a supermarket of any size. I know I miss the yellow ticket items, but I'm not distracted by things I don't need. I've only been in a supermarket once this year. I still go to the local draughty greengrocer and butcher at quiet times though, as they still seem better on the quality/price/choice metric.
  3. If you are a SBB customer, do you have the supplied Keyword list on or off, or create your own? Thanks.
  4. Was there ever a satisfactory answer to this please?
  5. My reading of that is that YouTube is not part of the DfE Licence Scheme. The T's&C's of Youtube are that their Paid Service is for "personal use only" and that Can't they just use streaming YouTube the same as everybody else?
  6. sigma

    Java IDE

    When I was at school we used paper coding sheets which were then taken away and came back as paper tape. Even when I first started work, everything was written onto coding sheets before being turned into punched cards, and woe betide anyone who dropped a deck.
  7. This is exceptional because the iPad was unfiltered. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/11/surrey-teenager-who-took-her-own-life-was-not-safe-at-school-say-parents
  8. We get few requests for changes. However, If we see pupils signing up for sites where they break the T's&C's, we block it. (We are are small High School without a sixth form so it's manageable). If I see something unambiguously unreasonably blocked from the previous day's reports - not unknown with our ISP's lists - I will consult and unblock otherwise we wait to be asked. Anything that would normally fall into a category that we have blocked, or is a clone of something that our policy is to block, we just block. That is usually games and web proxies where (charitably) the filter hasn't caught up. If we see something that is a safeguarding issue we will act first and then report as a safeguarding issue. An uncategorised (because there are new ones all the time), online video one to one chat with strangers for example. Not everything that is filtered is concerned with safeguarding. We also have to maintain the integrity of our data, systems and networks and our filter, Impero and AV are also for this too, hopefully each where it is the most efficient.
  9. I've made the case for blocking the Tate owned domains and fan sites, but leaving news and other discourse about them especially, in mainstream media unblocked. I would probably make a case for leaving the Tate domains unblocked but monitored for sixth-form if we had one. We are reviewing the keyword list supplied by our ISP because its not KCSIE compliant as regards overblocking - in so many aspects. That will mean a greater reliance on categorisation. So far, I think it will be OK and probably better than where we are now. We tweak (allows as well as denies), a lot anyway because the interwebs are not static and neither are general sensitivities as to what is acceptable or not.
  10. Mine doesn't even manage that.
  11. I entirely agree. The "AI-based categorisation tool" seems to be largely vapourware. I reckon its a big url database manually updated by idiots like me reporting sites.
  12. More Tate owned domains that was unblocked here: https://www.therealworldportal.com/ https://cobra-tate.com/ https://cobratate.it/ I'm still somewhat suprised that if it wasn't for our local blocks, that our ISP/flitering provider thinks that Andrew Tate's web properites are totally safe in school.
  13. Another Tate owned domain that was unblocked here: https://www.therealworldportal.com/ I'm still somewhat suprised that if it wasn't for our local blocks, that our ISP/flitering provider thinks that Andrew Tate's web properites are totally safe in school.
  14. We have Impero, however, the list is obfuscated so you can't see what its going to flag, and some of the terms when they are flagged seem to be geared towards their USA customers. Basically, you don't know what it's not going to report. I am struggling to find words/lists that are not geared around a "white Anglo/American" or white British slang vocabulary and include languages properly representitive of our school community. I have included the County Lines terms from this dictionary produced by the Childrens Society in 2020 that I found here: http://paceuk.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Slang-Dictionary-A5-Booklet.pdf
  15. Except if you are a student in a hall of residence. I think that’s mean.
  16. I have almost 43 years professional IT experience (post Economics degree). I was programming mainframes before PC's were invented and before many of you were born. I have the paper tape and punched cards to prove it. I can tell you, "good practice" and always seeking improvement has never gone away. I've not done a professional qualification this century, but did plenty in the last.
  17. Is there a standard definition as to exactly what is supposed to be in a Safeguarding Report? My current provider flags up in an safeguarding report if a pupil searches for a Coca Cola logo image and Google returns and image from a site that is categorised as alcohol and is blocked in the search results. This is a false positive. No objection to it being blocked per se, but its not a safeguarding concern. It does not flag as a safeguarding issue if a pupil attemps to access a "video chat with strangers" website such Chatroulette or Shagle. This is a false negative. It is a safeguading issue especially so for vulnerable pupils. I'm currently rolling my own reports, but concerned about missing something.
  18. I agree 100%. I've watched that video several times. It's what's got me to question our approach. I clearly have a lot of work (correctly) to do, to override our ISP's keyword list!
  19. I am in a genuine quandary about over-blocking. We have been fairly strict about categories that are blocked. I appreciate that for some things such as "games", we are using "technical measures" to compensate for .. um.. lack of classroom management when pupils would otherwise be off topic. This could be interpreted as "over-blocking". However, there seems to be a tension in that the guidance doesn't seem to recognise that filtering and monitoring takes place for reasons other than safeguarding, such as protecting the integrity of our data and systems, ad-blocking and privacy (tracking protection), conformance with website Ts&Cs (age) and GDPR (age of consent) too. I can't see that it would ever be just a filtered (safeguarded) version of their home internet experience.
  20. It does and doesn’t. Some of those daily releases fix problems introduced by the previous release. Usually, I’m still releasing once a week. Microsoft updates are not particularly reliable, and I’m not prepared to be an unpaid beta tester. I break my own conventions and release updates that fix threats that would impact us straight away of course.
  21. I only release updates for Edge once they have been stable for at least 4 days.
  22. There is a consistent direction of travel here. Take maths. Do schools need maths teachers or can anyone supervise pupils while they sit in front of a device on Sparks Maths or whatever the current fad is? How long before the current fad gets accredited with being able to award a GCSE to pupils passing the game/quiz or whatever? /rant
  23. You have my sympathy, I am the same with arachnids. We have mesh screens in windows and conkers in corners, but they still turn up. Today, after rain, I had huge difficulty walking along a path that was covered with tiny hopping frogs about 1cm long. There were so many I was worried about stepping on them.
  24. It would say "New url" and then attempt assign it to a categeory before allowing you access (or not). I've yet to see any fitering system that would appear to get it right more than 50% of the time though. The classification engines are abysmal in spite of all the claims.
×
×
  • Create New...