clockend25
Members-
Posts
795 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by clockend25
-
Issues with Papercut are diminishing; users needed to reboot after we'd disabled SMB1 across servers and clients. Seems to be functioning correctly now.
-
OK. We've got a number of users who are printing but nothing is showing in the print queue. The jobs eventually come through much later.
-
Anyone had any issues with Papercut following the disabling of SMB1?
-
Busy day yesterday updating servers and disabling SMB1. I've rolled out the SMB1 removal for clients via SCCM. Backups have completed over the weekend successfully and that server is now offline. We wait, nervously.
-
Schools Broadband - 15-05-17
clockend25 replied to Wubbalubbadub's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
On the back of yesterday's woes on Filter 5. Just switched our BYOD clients on to our new VLAN config this morning and was worried we'd bodged something. -
Been playing around with Senso and like the look of it. I like the pricing even more! We're expanding our site this summer and we'd be able to cover these new devices and still have money to spare versus the current cost of Impero. Our Impero subscription expires this summer and I'm not inclined to renew; the product has become flakey and after asking our new account manage for some updated pricing and some responses to my concerns I've heard nothing. Looks like we'd have to put something else in place for power management, but otherwise Senso seems to tick a lot of the boxes.
-
Eclipse Library System moved to hosted and now very slow
clockend25 replied to lmgtfy's topic in Educational Software
Interesting reading this. We're self-hosted and using the Silverlight version. Two years ago I got badgered by one of their sales reps regading moving to the hosted solution; literally lasted all summer and wouldn't take no for an answer. Have to say that none of the supposed advantages of moving to a hosted platform make sense for us so could never justify the cost. Our new librarian is being hunted down now regarding our support contract. Not inclined to renew. -
We've got 'Allow running plugins that are outdated' and 'Allow plugins on these sites' configured to allow flash for things like My Maths etc.
-
All seven of our hosts are now running 2016. No issues thus far
-
Which version of W10 do fellow IT Managers use?
clockend25 replied to manamaga2512's topic in Windows 10
Education here guv. -
Impero Version 6 Build 6.0.42 [Available Now]
clockend25 replied to 6Foot2's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Nice work chaps. Noticed a couple of machines exhibiting this issue today so nice to see a solution laid out on here! -
Plenty of times. Normally when it's an external presenter who needs all sort of access that can't be sorted quickly.
-
1. Lazy users ("I haven't shut down my laptop for eight months because it takes at least 30 seconds to boot!") 2. DPM (Just let me put de-duplicated data on tape, you ****** !) 3. Undocumented network setups ("So the site office connects through to the reception cab via a mini switch hidden in a cupboard in the data office?" 4. Parent support requests (The learning gateway is UP. Your credentials WORK. The issue is with YOU. If you're not willing to bring your device in for me to look at in person, then please be quiet and stop spamming the helpdesk) 5. SIMS issues (Please don't make call Capita support. Please)
-
PaperCut 17.02 - Anyone given it a whirl yet?
clockend25 replied to pete's topic in Enterprise Software
Farcically, we're still on v11.4. Counting the days until Easter when we'll be moving things forward just a tad... -
Schools Broadband or RM Broadband?
clockend25 replied to deano3693's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Schools Broadband. As mentioned, don't think I'd be buying in to any RM Services these days; they seem to be sinking fast. SB have been largely rock solid for us for a number of years, and their pricing is very decent on a proper sized contract. -
Royal TS: https://www.royalapplications.com/ts/win/features
-
Fortunately we only have one trolley of laptops in use in our Maths department, who take responsibility for looking after them, and do a fine job. We update them during holidays but otherwise we barely see them at all. I can think of other faculties who would be less professional about this kind of setup...
-
Fortunately we only have one trolley of laptops in use in our Maths department, who take responsibility for looking after them, and do a fine job. We update them during holidays but otherwise we barely see them at all. I can think of other faculties who would be less professional about this kind of setup...
-
Well after a long evening and early start, I ruled out any internal issue. @SchoolsBroadband copied the config from that port on to another port on the router this morning, and boom, we're back. Frustrating. Nothing worse than getting the 'it looks OK from our end' spiel from a provider, much as I understand we all do it.
-
Everything in terms of internal connectivity is fine though. Can't ping any external IPs, including our hosted firewall/gateway. SB assure me nothing has changed and everything is in order on the fortinet appliance, and that the on-site router is pingable from their end and is able to ping out to the internet.
-
Wondering if anyone has any ideas about this one. About 9:45am we lost internet connectivity across the site. Logged it with SB and they started investigating; in the meantime I tested our internal comms and found everything was fine. It was definitely an external issue. SB then come back and say there's no fault with the line or their hosted system, and that they can reach the router from their end. I plug in to the router directly and find I can access the internet. Hmm. I've since swapped out the switch into which the router connects, but still nothing on our network can reach the default gateway. I've checked and everything is A OK internally; even devices on the same switch as the router are functioning fine. Network is flat, no VLANs, and absolutely nothing was changed prior to this outage. SB are convinced it's an issue internally but quite frankly I'm stumped.
-
We're using Lightspeed and they initially just sent us the PDF detailing how to create a category and add the 1000+ URLs, but I eventually got them to redirect our public IP through to another content host. All seems to be working now.
-
Yeah, forget the turnstile. We put a door access system in place for our sixth form area within the academy. Used Isys, who have rebranded/been devoured by Capita: https://www.capitaworkforcemanagement.co.uk/access-control/
