Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. With that volume of data though, a DFS setup would probably be more appropriate - two physical/virtual servers or more in different physical locations on site. I know DFS isn't bullet proof, but it's a lot cheaper and more manageable in that respect. You obviously still need to do backups. I guess once the main backup is done, incremental backups thereafter would be what - a couple of Gigabytes at most? It's hard to say. 2GB would take around 3 minutes on a 100Mbps WAN.
  2. What I'm struggling to get my head around is the sheer volume of data - 5TB is a lot, what kind of WAN connections do you guys have? I appreciate Azure Backup works on an incremental basis, but initially it must take days surely to do a full backup? Also (worse case scenario), if you needed a full restore, it also would take days which would be considered an unacceptable turn around.
  3. Unfortunately the above doesn't work, but this code I edited does: $users=import-csv C:\input.csv foreach($user in $users){ $u = Get-ADUser $user.name -Properties mail,department,ProxyAddresses $u.ProxyAddresses = $user.ProxyAddress -split ';' Set-ADUser -instance $u } PAUSE Create the CSV file as (no spaces between the smtp entries): CAPS SMTP for Primary address only. Name,ProxyAddress user1,SMTP:[email protected];smtp:[email protected];smtp:[email protected];smtp:[email protected] Also if you're wondering how I get around the multiple domain issue e.g: domain1.com domain2.com and domain3.com etc.. - navigate to Active Directory Domains and Trusts, right click Active Directory Domains and Trusts and select 'Properties'. The UPN Suffixes window appears. Add your required domains here: domain1.com domain2.com domain3.com Now return back to Active Directory, open the properties of a user and navigate to the 'Account' tab. You can now change the UPN suffix from the drop down list, changing it from your local Domain name. This'll then match it as required when using AADSync. If you don't do this, users will end up with a .onmicrosoft.com domain by default. Hope this helps someone else
  4. I can only speculate the GPO isn't in the right place or there are other numerous issues. In my experience, when configuring a Start Menu type via GPO it doesn't prompt the end user. If you use my templates as a guide, they do work, so end users are not prompted.
  5. Best I can advise is to install/customise Classic Shell directly to your specifications then export as required.
  6. Ahh brilliant, OK that works - as you say, you have to do it in stages. The Powershell script just overwrites all entries, whereas AdModify does exactly that - modifies, unless you wish to remove. I think this will have to be it
  7. I guess that's down to opinion - I support close to 1000 devices all running Windows 10. We've already had what is considered the modern equivalent of a Service Pack - 10240 original release vs. 10586 released November 2015. Redstone is due to be released the end of 2016, probably in line with Windows Server 2016.
  8. I've seen similar bad practice before - local admins has no bearing, but you're right, somewhere in AD you'll start to see links, linking back to Domain Admins, making permissions worthless. Unfortunately there are IT companies that employ Techs that don't understand permissions... best advice is look at what groups the select users are members of and narrow it down that way.
  9. You don't need 2012 or 2012 R2 from what you're describing. You can install Windows 10 and Office 2016 templates onto a 2008 R2 box. Works absolutely fine
  10. I've used ADModify before, but unfortunately it also can only do one entry at a time (as far as I can tell). E-mail Addresses (tab), then entering: %'SamAccountName'%@domain.com works, but as I say, you can only specify one address. Essentially my PowerShell script does the same. The frustrating thing is AD itself lists them as SMTP:[email protected]; smtp:[email protected]; smtp:[email protected] but you can't import strings/lines separated with ; from a CSV file. They import, but all as one line.
  11. Any solution to this at all?
  12. IE11 or Chrome is the only viable solution, despite Microsoft pushing for Edge. The point is, they wouldn't have to if it worked properly, supported extensions and was manageable via Group Policy more extensively!
  13. You can if you open the .dot file directly, instead of opening Word first (if that makes sense).
  14. Hello all, I've recently setup a new O365 Tenancy and deployed AADSync only for account creation and password sync (so far so good). The site in question do not have an on premises Exchange server, so I need to populate the ProxyAddresses attribute. I'm using the following Powershell script: $users=import-csv C:\input.csv foreach($user in $users){ $u = Get-ADUser $user.name -Properties mail,department,ProxyAddresses $u.ProxyAddresses = $user.ProxyAddress Set-ADUser -instance $u } This works, however each SMTP entry needs to be on a separate line. SMTP (in capitals) is Primary, and smtp thereafter are configured as aliases. If I configure [email protected]; [email protected]; etc... it doesn't work as intended. Each entry needs to be on a separate line, but how can I do this from Excel? Many thanks!
  15. It's the same GPO as far as I'm aware - Computer Config > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options - Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL - Enabled
  16. If you navigate to Help > About, what build of IE11 are you using? The latest is 11.0.30. I'm still using 11.0.29 without any issues for most users.
  17. I use Classic Shell, so end users can access Explorer or This PC from here, or This PC on a Folder Redirected Desktop. I don't think there is a GPO that can remove File Explorer from Windows 10's default Start Menu, however profile corruption is one reason why it doesn't always appear. Hence another good reason to use Classic Shell.
  18. I've always used USB > Ethernet > Ethernet > USB and it works with very long distances.
  19. Indeed that could work too
  20. Of course I wouldn't expect anything less - to be honest, one of my deciding factors was seeing it side by side with another screen, same sizes/similar specs, the clarity was much improved. I would always recommend you go and look at something like a TV and not just buy it from a website.
  21. If you use internal grade cable, it'll probably last a few years in the British weather. External grade should last in the region of 50 years. It's a lot more expensive and is typically black in colour (but not always). If moisture has got inside the cable, it'll create a short, which in English means no data, no IP, nothing basically. Ideally (wherever possible), even when using external grade, you should bury it as much as possible in a solid conduit.
  22. You're right, it's all to do with frames per second - a bit like upscaling, the TV enhances the image quality on the fly. I do take your point though if you have a 50fps source, how do you magically get 1000fps? In simple terms it makes the image appear smoother, which is why it's good for games which are typically fast moving. I know 4K TVs have an even higher/default refresh rate, but again, no doubt manufacturers want to match or improve on the base requirements. How it works I'm not entirely sure, but I am sure Google will give you the technicalities behind it all and that it isn't just a glorified way to shift more screens
  23. On some older USB flash drives there's a small physical tab you can move to make it read only or the reverse.
  24. It's not the Enterprise console, it's the client version you're deploying that's reporting the wrong version. It's not a massive issue, as it still works as intended.
  25. 32" is the sort of tipping point - most newer TVs do support full 1080p these days, but you'll probably struggle to tell the difference unless you have exceptionally good eye sight. For image clarity, it's definitely the Hertz (Hz) you want to look out for. NTSC is 60Hz in the US and PAL/SECAM is 50Hz in Europe. My 32" Samsung supports 200Hz and makes the image super crisp. My 40" Samsung supports 1000Hz and is even better. It's definitely worth investing in something decent, seeing as you'll spend considerable time staring at it
×
×
  • Create New...