Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. To be fair, I think Sophos are right to categorise SIMS as malware Joke aside, can you not add the relevant executables to an exceptions list? Or possibly anything coming from your mapped SIMS share?
  2. There are five core policies that need to be enabled - Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Store - Turn off offer to update to the latest version of Windows Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update - Configure Automatic Updates Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update - Specify intranet Microsoft Update service location Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update - Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Defer Windows Updates - Select when Feature Updates are received, select CBB These in my experience work (after trial and error), giving you some degree of control back.
  3. Same problem here - clearly no one monitoring it, twice in one week. Remind me what we're paying for?
  4. Ubiquiti not being classed as enterprise ready is frankly ridiculous... And I agree, with the above - chipsets all used are the same/similar, so I wouldn't expected the results to hugely vary.
  5. So without a DPO, how will GDPR requirements be fulfilled? It just doesn't add up... If they are proposing/changing the legal status of schools, then theoretically, FOI requests would no longer apply either.
  6. Difficult to say, but normally it's down to the options you have set in WSUS - products are one thing, but types of downloads are another.
  7. Is this in other words saying GDPR will not apply to schools?
  8. Load up WSUS and highlight 'Updates' on the left. On your right you'll then see 'Import Updates'. Clicking this will launch IE and the Microsoft Catalog.
  9. It's a perfectly valid question and you're right, in the context of servers it makes no sense.
  10. Can you not manually upload it via the Update Catalog?
  11. You still cannot drag folders to IE, (only files) but you can drag folders to the network location (once configured).
  12. Works absolutely fine for me. This is what I have set - SharePoint site URL added to local Intranet, not Trusted Sites. Then follow this guide I've already posted, to add OneDrive as a network location. Dragging to IE works as expected. Running Windows 10 1703, IE version 11.0.47.
  13. The only other issue I've had with Trusts, is servers with identical servernames, despite the FQDN being different. The NETBIOS name would of course be the same which is where the problem lies.
  14. Can you ping the server FQDN, rather than just the server IP?
  15. It's a bit like LTSB > LTSB upgrades, there is no direct upgrade path. I believe it would involve a fresh install.
  16. The other aspect (which doesn't really make sense), is Microsoft's official line, is they don't want corporations using LTSB? So the question is, why did they create it? The official line is the for likes of ATMs and critical business applications - makes complete sense, an ATM won't benefit from the likes of Cortana or Edge for example. At the same time though, it's unclear why Microsoft think forcing Cortana or Edge on education is what they want, but more to the point upgrading twice per year? I don't know anyone in my profession who's doing this; the disruption to end users is huge and unnecessary. I think maybe Microsoft have forgotten that Windows 7 has/is going to have a 10 year support window, with organisations moving to the Windows 10 on a 6 month model on CB (by default). It doesn't make any sense at all the more I think about it.
  17. I agree this would make sense. I'll be honest, I have been testing LTSB for sometime (way before 1709) and it ticks more boxes, it's more stable and it is faster too. As it currently stands, deploying LTSB today will be valid until 2026, as will Office 2016 also. This also means they'll be approx. 20 more additions of Windows 10 CB before then and now; so how many more Apps and unwanted content will Microsoft include between then and now? The next LTSB/C version will be in 2019, so it will be interesting to see how the 2016 and 2019 version will compare; hopefully very little at the core by logic.
  18. I can't help but notice that every edition of Windows 10 CB appears to contain more bloatware than usefulware - looking at this whole thread, there's a lot of emphasis on 'how do I remove or disable this'? Should there be an LTSB equivalent for Education; an in-between the existing Enterprise LTSB version? Yes I think so.
  19. The thing is, it's actually relatively simple to add a network location to OneDrive for Business without the client. - Add https://school-my.sharepoint.com/ to Intranet Sites via a GPO for your users. Then ask your users to perform the following - - Launch Internet Explorer and sign into O365, remembering to tick 'Keep me signed in' - Navigate to OneDrive and wait for it to load - Copy the URL: https://school-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user_school_domain/ then add Documents to the end, so it reads: https://school-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user_school_domain/Documents - Navigate to This PC > Computer (tab) > Add a network location - Select Next > Next >, then copy/paste your URL and click Next > - Give your site a friendly name, click Next > then Finish.
  20. A corrupt mandatory profile possibly?
  21. This is going to be interesting as the new 1709 version of Windows 10 includes .NET 4.7 as standard. I very much doubt it can be removed.
  22. This is the newest OneDrive client version I've found - version 17.3.7073.1013 Installed on 1703 and no Files on Demand. Shall try 1709 tomorrow.
  23. You can't hide it as such, but you can restrict what happens within MMC - there are GPOs for this.
  24. If you're redirecting Appdata then don't. It's the root of a lot of issues.
  25. Actually a good thing in my view. It means Windows Server 2016 is on the LTSB (now called LTSC) branch/channel, so is valid for 10 years.
×
×
  • Create New...