-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
New Diesel And Petrol Vehicles To Be Banned From 2040 In UK - BBC News
Michael replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
I have to agree with the above. The strategy put forward is only half the battle; if it stays as it currently is, you're essentially moving the pollution problem around rather than reducing it. -
How safe is your money? This cash machine was hacked in just five minutes.
Michael replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
This is nothing new I'm afraid. It's well known ATMs run on outdated software. -
Within O365 you can restrict a user to just Exchange for example, so some restricting is already possible. I think InTune is just the tip of iceberg as it's come on heaps and will most likely replace the likes of localised GPO as we have today. You still have to enrol a device (which you could argue is the equivalent of domain join) and also applies to any MDM. Being able to apply GPOs locally and have them apply in the cloud would be advantageous for all. ADConnect is a good example of this - localised AD which syncs with a cloud service (Azure).
-
I'm not entirely sure I agree - Microsoft make a lot of revenue from server products, so I think domain join will be here for some time to come. In a way you already have the flexibility of operating in a workgroup or domain, however I do agree that BYOD (maybe working with Azure), is a possibility, but Azure doesn't include any GPO type functionality at the current time. In the context of Education especially, they'll always be a basic need of restricting/limiting the likes of Control Panel/Settings.
-
I've observed behaviour whereby the workstation is only reporting IPv6 and not IPv4 and Solus simply cannot find it. The only solution was to release the IP and then renew, which cleared the issue.
-
KB4025334 has now replaced KB4025339 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025334 https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4025334
-
NetSupport DNA 4.5 (due out soon), is able to manage this.
- 8 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- active directory
- firewall
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Here's how someone's managed it (sort of bridging using a proxy).
-
Indeed it is - I suppose the only real answer are iPads and Apple TV on the same VLAN, which then gets around the Air Server issue installed on a PC/Mac on a separate VLAN.
-
Bonjour won't work over multiple VLANs (as far as I'm aware), however if you tagged the port the printer is connected to (with both VLANs), then logically this should work. In saying that, I'm not sure if Bonjour will work over multiple subnets either - again another problem, if you may/may not use multiple subnets.
-
Manually update said App (from the App store) and this'll resolve this issue.
-
Unless you're virtualising, you may need an additional server which will probably cost thousands. Was just interested in the thinking behind it.
-
As standard (within Control Panel) > Java and there you can specify a list of exceptions (the manual way).
-
I'm curious, what's the reasoning behind moving from cloud > legacy and not cloud > cloud?
-
Has the URL been added to the list of exceptions on Control Panel? This can all be scripted (as I've done previously), which makes the solution easier. By default Java exceptions are user based, but you can make them computer based so they apply to any user logging on.
-
So no one else has this issue?
-
Hi all, Is anyone else having issues with KB4025339 on Server 2016? I've downloaded the full and Delta version and both tell me the "update doesn't apply to this computer"! All are running Windows Server 2016 Std physical/virtual with the KB4022715 update (June 2017) and clients still running KB4023680 (May 2017) for the time being. Have manually installed the same update KB4025339 on my Windows 10 client without any issues. Just seems really odd and not come across it before!
-
Thanks for this - will look into it soon
-
Home Folders disappearing when a pupil logs in
Michael replied to smithson83's topic in Windows Server 2012
I'd say this issue is most likely DFSR or possibly DNS related. -
Sweet! Looks like a postcard!
-
How would I go about doing that out of interest?
-
Hi all, I currently have setup WSUS (parent) and then child WSUS instances which are direct copies/mirrors. This is all straight forward, but is it possible to get workstations to connect to the nearest available WSUS instance? This would be especially useful for users who move from site to site quite frequently. The nearest I can find is a policy labelled "Specify intranet Microsoft update service location" but I'm looking for a way to query a whole list of WSUS instances in priority order. Failing that, can I make all WSUS instances appear 'as one'? Many thanks!
-
GDPR & UPN use - Statement from Groupcall
Michael replied to GREED's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
This is an interesting discussion, as I recently found out BCC (Birmingham City Council) require a full CTF export every week, so presumably this will include the likes of UPN and other? This is regardless if you're a state school or an Academy. I think the DfE need to get a grip and understanding of why this submission is required (telling LAs they must do so), rather than telling schools we're the data controllers. Really is frustrating why they cannot be black and white about it.
