Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Michael

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    12,849
  • Joined

Everything posted by Michael

  1. Apologies I overlooked that. If deploying just an unmodified ISO then yes that would work. In a real life situation no; much better/quicker to capture the latest update on the core image first.
  2. Anything that's suitable for a NAS will be absolutely fine.
  3. Not running Sysprep isn't going to help - I suspect this is the source of the problem. Even on identical spec machines it can cause issues if you don't run it.
  4. I don't use it anyway, so I take it they're not switching it back on?
  5. I think the other clue of course is Microsoft are calling them 'Rollups' rather than CUs... in the context of Windows 10. Rollup as in, all the updates for March, then April and so on.
  6. Generally speaking Windows 7 updates are not CU like Windows 10, so I would recommend you deploy it.
  7. To the best of my knowledge you need both, however the March update is where it was first patched. I've deployed both if anyone's wondering!
  8. I've done all three, DC, member server and a virtual server (member). You should generally put it in a virtual server, especially if you're going to adopt Parent > Child setups in larger environments. Also, the other crucial aspect of WSUS is do not auto-approve Updates of any kind (other than maybe Windows Defender updates). Manually approve updates as and when required. So for example I tested the May 2017 CU update for Windows 10 and then deployed it once I was happy it works.
  9. I do agree it's a bit of a grey area, but in my experience it's based on where you're physically at. You can do a lot remotely, but it means also you're at your primary location and can see to problems as you're on site. If you're physically in another building, that's where it gets complicated, even though 'technically' you could probably do the reverse and dial back in remotely to your primary site.
  10. It should be done based on hours, simple really. If the school choose complicated devices and it takes you or one of your team longer, then so be it!
  11. Yes it's a no brainer, as you can scale to 1Gb as and when you require in 100Mb chunks for example.
  12. Interesting; intentional or accidental?
  13. The other question is of course, presumably it still has a Recycle Bin functionality and how do we backup files if all stored in the cloud? Will Azure work with OneDrive?
  14. Works absolutely fine on Windows 10 Edu 32/64Bit. I have it running on Redstone 1.
  15. Great stuff
  16. Well either way, I'd rather wait for Microsoft to make it 'the standard' and manufacturers will follow to match. If I do it the other way around, MFP manufacturers will probably tell me to switch it back on.
  17. And more to the point, authorities globally are probably waiting for it to be collected. Bitcoin transactions are traceable, but I agree, on a global scale it's a rubbish amount.
  18. The XP/2003/Vista updates are available for all to download.
  19. I'm extremely sceptical about only 12% of devices still require SMB1. In the context of an MFP, yes it's one device, but hundreds of people may use it. As I say, switching it off by default is probably a lot easier than removing it altogether. You can remove it in Windows 10/Server 2016 by turning the feature off as it currently stands via the GUI.
  20. Must be perfectly do-able though...
  21. If Microsoft developed a way for updates to be installed silently (without the need for an restart), I'm sure it would be more viable to keep updating it more frequently. If you're a 24/7 operation, even on the likes of Christmas Day, people will still visit.
  22. But I suspect it'll still be there, just switched off by default. A bit like .NET Framework 3.5 in that respect. I doubt Microsoft will just remove it completely.
  23. Apparently they're going to have a Cobra meeting according to the BBC. I'm sure that always ends with a refreshing outcome!
  24. Exactly as I predicted earlier. This is the only real way it will force developers to update code to newer versions.
  25. Yes that's correct.
×
×
  • Create New...