-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
You have to ask the question why Microsoft don't include Windows 10 versions with Office embedded. Would make a lot more sense with Education/Enterprise versions.
-
[1703, cu] Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703) now available to download
Michael replied to Arthur's topic in Windows 10
Will Windows Server 2016 get the equivalent of the Creators Update (Redstone 2), or does it stay on Redstone 1? -
Windows 10 Home 64Bit will see 128GB - Pro/Enterprise/Education will see 512GB.
-
I agree, it's normally down to mis-match of memory.
-
Is it physical or virtual?
-
I've had it where the IIS Service just stops, however starting it manually it appears OK. Have you applied the latest March 2017 patch? It's quite a big update and has lots of fixes. It brings IE11 to 11.0.40.
-
As far as I'm aware (and I googled this for you), you'll need to upgrade.
-
You may need to add your Sharepoint site to Trusted Sites within IE, as well as 365 itself, Outlook and more.
-
I agree your example is a good one, but then if we audited absolutely everything, then our jobs would be incredibly boring. Microsoft auditing will not apply to an MIS or vice versa, so it then starts to get rather complicated.
-
If that's accurate, how many more versions of SQL/Windows Server would you need to go through and how many physical or virtual servers? Makes my head hurt thinking about the costs alone!
-
Auditing isn't the silver bullet for everything - for that one incident, you could literally have to go through thousands of logs to find the person responsible. Educating users is far more productive rather than just pointing the finger.
-
Unifi definitely the way to go in my view.
-
[1703, cu] Hide settings in the Settings app (new feature in 1703)
Michael replied to Arthur's topic in Windows 10
Be interesting to know whether this is a Redstone 2 or later requirement, or if it'll work on existing/older builds given they do have Settings of course. -
[1703, cu] Hide settings in the Settings app (new feature in 1703)
Michael replied to Arthur's topic in Windows 10
About time! As above, a link to GPOs would be awesome! -
The Resource Monitor is only indicative, it never will be completely accurate in my experience.
- 9 replies
-
- hard drives
- microsoft
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I've seen this happen and in the end (after further testing) the Hard disk was faulty. I'm not saying it is (in your case) but it's definitely one possibility.
- 9 replies
-
- hard drives
- microsoft
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Is allowing Ping on a workstations safe
Michael replied to genesis's topic in Network and Classroom Management
I'm guessing they have access to the Command Prompt or some form of utility to allow that? I think pinging is probably the least of your worries! -
[1703, cu] Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703) now available to download
Michael replied to Arthur's topic in Windows 10
Control Panel has been replaced with "Settings" in the Win+X menu. This will definitely catch a lot of people out! -
With all the talk of SIMS8, presumably there will be an FMS version also?
-
Interesting, but you could have, it's still MS SQL. It probably makes some sense from a development point of view, but it will of course slow migrations. Very difficult to weigh up I guess!?
-
MS SQL 2016 for example is highly scalable and is ideal for virtualised/clustered setups; essentially what Azure is. I'm also speculating that Capita (in particular), will want minimal if no changes at all to the actual database allowing migrations to go faster/quicker. Changing the table formation completely would delay migrations. Being able to detach and re-attach the database with the minimal of fuss would make sense (in a perfect world).
-
This is something I wrote above - I suspect they'll be a window supporting both, but then I suspect Capita to stop supporting it, but we probably are talking 5+ years realistically; but this is my point also, what will the current /developed/established MIS cloud offerings look like in 5 years? It's going to get very interesting!
-
IPv6 - this is more a hosting query rather than SIMS itself. Seeing as SIMS is MS SQL based, so it'll run on Windows and we know Windows Server supports IPv6... you see where I'm going with this.
-
Most MIS systems - legacy or cloud run on MS SQL - undoutedly probably one of the best, but more crucially with support; something a lot of Open Source products lack given schools pay thousands for an MIS, it makes sense.
