-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
It's from build 14901 you'll see ads. I'd go down the GPP route which works on any domain connected PC, if a GPO wasn't available, but I am running Windows Edu throughout.
-
Ideally you should turn DHCP off on your router if you want to use it on your server. You'd then specify your router IP within Forwarders (DNS Server).
-
I can't see the logic of staying with FMS and not SIMS. You can't unfortunately look at legacy systems and cloud systems black and white; as legacy systems have much higher costs - - A physical/virtual server it needs to be hosted on - Remote backups - Migration costs every 3-5 years to a new server - SQL licensing\CALs - How many 'bolt-on' packages are you using, such as a third party Assessment tool(s)? Can these be dropped? - Your time - Training You don't need the first four/five with a cloud based MIS/Finance package - think about it And as for LAs being pro SIMS/FMS - if that's all they offer, then they should be discredited automatically. Schools can and should be more proactive at looking at numerous solutions and not settling for just one.
-
I found this also happens if Apps are in the middle of updating. The other option is to go to the Windows Store and search/download the Twitter App, then reboot. This then allows Sysprep to run.
-
Interesting how all 'legacy' MIS systems are losing market share.
-
Those were the days when 'Master' and 'Slave' were acceptable, then political correctness got in the way I've had the pleasure of using original ribbon IDE and Floppy drive cables, then later on rounded versions - ingenious!
-
Maybe try typing some strong language on a Word document and see if it gets reported or at least flagged in your system. The only way to know for sure it works.
-
Birmingham Network Managers on Link2ICT
Michael replied to mikkydoos's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Arguably you could say if the upgrade goes bad on a Saturday, then it doesn't really make too much of a difference if it's done Tuesday night! Either way you're probably only going to find out the next working day once it's back under load. I'm pretty sure valuable lessons were learnt in the past not to have a repeat again, but time will tell -
Pretty sure if you ring them up they will confirm what their policy is in writing (if required). It's just logical sense to me. Plus I think you'll find Ofsted require multiple personnel to monitor logs and document when it was last checked. For all they know you're simply discarding captures which should be reported. Like Finance there's a process to go through to prevent fraud. It's the same with Safeguarding. If Staff are finding it difficult, then maybe change system. None of the schools I support use PCE, they all use NetSupport DNA. Easier to use, cheaper and much more than just a Safeguarding tool.
-
Link2ICT are very clear that it isn't the role or responsibility of the Technical person(s), it's merely using IT as a delivery mechanism to fulfil Safeguarding requirements. This I totally agree with and support. I personally don't agree with a paid for service to monitor/categorise captures for you, this is the role of the school and not a third party. You look after the well being of children in person, why should the well being in a computer context be any different? Bullying is still bullying, regardless how it's done. If all Senior Leaders got in the routine of checking the latest logs, it isn't such a chore and as the old saying goes, a problem shared is a problem halved. Another consideration is 'what if' something serious was discovered by a child or an adult? You'd know all about it, when really this kind of information should remain in the 4 walls of SLT meetings and Governor meetings.
-
Yes otherwise the data isn't up-to-date. Baffling this aspect can't run on the server as a service once every 24 hours etc..
-
Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Edition) - Logon Screen Wallpaper
Michael replied to cdwyer's topic in Windows 10
I can confirm it works -
Is it purely a cost exercise why you wish to change support provider? Your LA probably don't care, seeing as the majority of LA support providers are all linked to Capita somewhere down the line. It's a monopoly before our eyes...
-
BT offer this as standard on all connections, but just bear in mind it can very easily go over this amount. If you factor in renting plant equipment, labour and digging/replacing tarmac, it's not cheap at all.
-
Only other suggestion I can think of, is to make sure you're using 'proper' Intel/Nvidia drivers and not Windows's own Basic driver. It has resolved the issue sometime ago when I first deployed Office 2016/Windows 10.
-
User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 > PowerPoint Options > Advanced - Do not allow PowerPoint to automatically extend display when presenting on a laptop or tablet - Enabled
-
User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > Microsoft PowerPoint 2016 > PowerPoint Options > Advanced - Do not allow PowerPoint to automatically extend display when presenting on a laptop or tablet - Enabled
-
What's your provision on shared areas?
-
I agree PP 2016 GPO setting is a must.
-
Azure offers no Group Policy options - plus as I say, other services still need to be hosted locally - Safeguarding, Print Services, Door Systems - there's a whole list really. What's the volume discount minimum required out of curiosity? 1000+ users?
-
Did you definitely 'generalize' the Sysprep image? It's irrelevant if the devices are the same or not. Each device is still unique.
-
The annual subscription (when you add up all users), is still quite substantial despite your educational discounts. We still need a server of some kind to host Active Directory and other services (on site). This is why it hasn't got the go ahead (as far as I'm concerned).
-
Thanks Leon, but I hope you see our point of view; Office 365 is free to education so it's a bit of a kick in the teeth having to pay for something that Microsoft should have created in the first place!
-
The issue in summary is that both Google and Microsoft provide huge amounts of storage, but the tools comparably are poor. Google (from reading other discussions) have the edge at the moment, but no doubt Microsoft (who I use) will soon catch up. There are third party tools for both Google/O365, but they're chargeable which defeats the objective. Free storage for Education, but we need to pay so we can access it properly. It just doesn't wash. Certainly (in the short term), I've advised users they 'can' use OneDrive for Business if they want to, but we don't offer any real support towards it. Data will remain on local file servers, VPN access for all, but using the likes of local and Azure Backup for data. Backing up to cloud works and is reliable.
-
I must admit I haven't explored backing up whole servers. Backing up Hyper-V instances should be fairly straight forward, however backing up a physical instance - not sure how that would work.
