Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jsnetman

Members
  • Posts

    909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jsnetman

  1. WAIK at first seems very complicated but in a nutshell all you are doing is loading an image into it, it then indexes the image automatically, you then start creating an answer file, or you can load one in that you have copied from the net. You then save the answer file and unload the image. I don't think or I have never reloaded the image back to WDS. You then copy the answer file into WDS where the image is located and in WDS you right click the image and assign the answer file.
  2. There is also a very good tutorial on WAIK at windowsnetworking.com also. I also remeber reading somewhere that MDT is designed for very big organisations (thousands of machines), I think a school would be classed as small to medium and WAIK and WDS is targeted toward those
  3. I think MDT just has WDS built into it when you install. As with most MS solutions there is always more than one way to do things. I looked at MDT and it looked very difficult to setup and learn about. I already had WDS I just installed WAIK and off I went installing WIN 7 machines.
  4. Waik is basically a way for you to make edit and check imageunateend.xml files. These files set system local, adding driver paths and almost anything else concerned with the image. WDS is basically your capture and deployment tool. Never used MDT so cannot comment on it, but it looks good. The xml files do your head in if you try and do them yourself or download examples from the net. Its much better to use WAIK to create and check them for you.
  5. Office 2007
  6. jsnetman

    Screen Res

    Thanks for the suggestion and I agree multres should work and so should qres. I may have to have a look at the drivers windows is installing by default and update them with the proper ones.
  7. jsnetman

    Screen Res

    I have deployed win 7 to a suite of thirty computers all is well apart from the fact that setting the screen res to 1024x768 did not work in the imageunattend.xml file. So the desktops are all set to 1280x1024, this is not a problem for me but teachers are wanting the lower resolution but non of the utilities like qres and multires work from startup or login scripts. Any people out there know how to change the res by either scripting or active directory.
  8. You can also use a utility called MySysprep which is a rewrite of MS Sysprep. http://tsaysoft.com/mysysprep2/
  9. This has recently started in our LEA and I suspect it is because of BSF that they are doing it, i.e getting all the schools up to scratch before BSF comes in.
  10. Ok I have my Win 7 image ready and tested and raring to deploy. However I have it deployed on a couple of test machines and one thing is bugging me. Logging on as any user local or domain I get preparing your desktop and its taking about 35 seconds, I can discount any folder or desktop redirection problems as the same happens for a local account. Now these are brand new machines core 2 duo with 2gb of ram so its not hardware. Any ideas?
  11. We used them last summer for a large order of HP switches, they were the cheapest by far and I did not have any problem with the service.
  12. It depends what is in some of those settings for instance "administratively assigned offline files" and "action on server disconnect", they could be having a negative effect. Basically if you have any redirected my docs folder it will sync by default without having any settings applied in machine or user GP.
  13. Click on the OU you want the list from then go to actions at the top and export. It will output it as a CSV file.
  14. All people are missing the point in this thread. If you do as the ISP providers do and set up auto proxy discovery either by pac or dat it does not matter if they are in school or at home it works the same way. So you don't need seperate settings for school and home.
  15. Does anyone here know about setup configurations for the Dell Poweredge MD3000 DAS storage unit. Basically I have 2 servers connected via DAS to the unit. My question is if I was to make 2 virtual disks instead of the 1 I have now would the 2 servers be able to see one virtual disk each. At the moment there is one virtual disk and only 1 server can see it. We bought 2 dell servers with the MD3000 and I was under the impression both servers would be able to access the MD3000 but at the moment only 1 server is doing so.
  16. My dream job, got to apply for this and probably about 20,000 others as well!
  17. Its held in the registry key [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop] "SCRNSAVE.EXE"="logon.scr" there are a couple of ways to mofify this. Do it via active directory or startup sript to write the key.
  18. We do use it but also have a second domain that we setup for exchange. The school domains can be very long ours being johnspence.n-tyneside.sch.org.uk try getting your staff to remeber that one is impossible. So we opened the second domain and redirected to the school domain making it easier johnspence.org.uk.
  19. I know of at least one LA who bid for there own IT services (Newcastle) in partnership I think with dell or maybe it was northgate. I have been to some of the schools in the Newcastle authority and the IT staff are over the moon with the new setup. North Tyneside however seem already decided it has to be outsourced to an external company.
  20. Users cannot change resolution here (apart from a few visually impaired pupils), hence we do it via machine startup as some apps change the res on their own.
  21. Ok you work out how long you think it will take and multiply hrs x 35. Simples. I would probably go for 8 hours myself.
  22. Yes you can do it at bootup-logon-logoff it doesn't really matter its a very low overhead bit of software and as mentioned in the previous post can be run from a shared folder.
  23. I would be charging £35 per hour, now that might be a lot cheaper than a 3rd party engineer but it would be high enough for you to make a decent profit without being over the top.
  24. Qres and Multires are both freeware. Both will do the same job but I'm not sure if qres does the dual display bit. I am using Bginfo for setting info on the bootup and logon screens but don't think it will change the screen res, you can set the bitmap to match the screen res but not alter the res.
  25. Yes it is possible. We deployed a program called multires to our workstations and ran a batch file in the machine startup GPO with the following command to set all PC's to the same res: c:\progra~1\multires\multires.exe /1:1024,768,32,60 c:\progra~1\multires\multires.exe /2:1024,768,32,60 The /1 and /2 are to control video cards that support dual display.
×
×
  • Create New...