Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jsnetman

Members
  • Posts

    909
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jsnetman

  1. I'm not trying to be off the cuff here but my idea of why schools have RM and other management software is that they don't have a an experienced NM who can manage/install a network. Ok maybe you lack the experience or don't want to commit to the time to install the network, but you will save 10's of thousands with a vanilla system and like I say you can employ a freelance to come set it up, provide initial training and support.
  2. Long time since I had a RM network but I don't see why not. have you not heard of Windows 7!
  3. A lot of the headache of a vanilla system is setting it up, but done once or twice it's easy peasy. After that there is no real management overhead compared to a managed system. You could buy someone in to do the initial setup.
  4. I guess you are on a PC, I'm on a laptop.
  5. Installed and worked no problem average is displaying 26 watts
  6. 200+ machines and only 1 server could be your problem. When deploying an app to all the machines look at the performnce indicators in task manager on the server, see if anything is bottlenecking, hard disk access and network utilisation could be the problem. Saying that I deploy all of our apps from one server but we have 2 domain controllers and 380 ish clients the roles are split evenly across the 2 servers.
  7. jsnetman

    Inventory

    The thread you refer to does do the job.
  8. Just watched it on Iplayer and he did not specifically say BSF would stay he said he supported building new schools but I suspect in the guise of acadamies and free schools. It's always very difficult to actually get a straight answer from a politician on whatever side of the fence.
  9. Not sure but I think his answer may refer to schools who have reached financial closure.
  10. Higher temperature = less ice= more water or should it be the other way round to answer your question.
  11. Yes thats right they can still save music and videos into the respective folders but they dont't sync. To be honest setting a limit on their cach might be a bit overboard especially these days with music and video files in such demand.
  12. I have also thought about a draconian route, where you can specify which files to sync, say word docs excel and publisher only.
  13. No the limit does not work on the cache although you can set a seperate limit on the cache but I don't bother with that. And yes it only syncs changed files, staff here who are approachin the 2 gig limit don't have issues with it apart from if they have been away from the network for months then a hefty sync is due when back in school.
  14. We exclude My Music and My Video folders for exactly this reason. Itunes posed a problem for us with file sync and you can even ban file extensions from syncing, we ban all the usual types mp4, mp3, avi and so on. Oh and we also set limits on how much server space they can have, staff 2gb pupils 500mb y7-y9, 1gb y10-y11 but this strategy might not go down well in some schools.
  15. Why do you want to disable it. File sync is probably the best thing since sliced bread, staff can continue to work on their school file while at home. But if you really want to do it you need to delete the local cached copy and with your settings above it should not sync. I think there is also a setting in AD to delete cached copies at user logoff, if you don't want to go round every laptop deleting them manually.
  16. All I am saying is that 100 quid declaration to the taxman is laughable, it would probaly cost more in man hours and paperwork to process it, I am not in favour, especially of politicians and big businesses of evading tax and we are talking big sums here. Joe Bloggs making an earner here or there does not come into the equation. And ever since tax collection came about there has been a black market economy where people will deal without the taxman knowing. For someone to use their skills to earn an extra few quid is hardly a major crime. Granted if this grows into a regular and substantive income it should be declared, or else they risk the wrath of the taxman. Just one more point, my technician offered to do the school disco and charged £120, the school paid out of petty cash. Being a good citizen he phoned the tax office they told him not to bother unless it was a regular income.
  17. Not allowed to be a practitioner in accountancy, thats what I mean. Similar to this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8308685.stm
  18. I suppose being from bean counter stock you adopt some sort of need to declare anything you earn, but as it happens two fairly close acquaitances both of bean counter fraternity have been struck off for tax evasion, or as it is better known cooking the books.
  19. Another angle to take especially if they are a friend is just for them to give you £100 as a gift, gifts are not taxable (unless you are trying to avoid death duties and are in great amounts), you can still draw up some sort of contract but don't bill the friend for the website. Fair enough later when you are doing it for clients then by all means declare it.
  20. Can you substantiate this comment.
  21. I know it is illegal to not declare earnings and I applaud the guy for wanting to do it right, but selling one website for 100 is like you say not even putting him in a taxable situation. Lets face it companies big and small will do anything to evade tax legally and sometimes illegally. Ask for cash and tell the the person to keep their gob shut
  22. Are you kidding, the taxman at the office would probably fall of his chair if you declared 20% tax retwurn on 100 quid. I know it's not clever to be a tax evader but come on get real 100 quid is nowt. If you start churning out loads of websites and make thousands then by all means declare some for tax. My mate who ran a barber shop never paid tax at all, it was all cash sales and he claimed to the tax man he was not covering his expenses.
  23. We uase automatically detect proxy in school using a combination of DNS and ISA server, so when staff take laptops home this setting is what is needed to detect home ISP proxies, so no user interaction is required. Rather than asking your staff to change proxy settings it would be more preferable for you to investigate setting up auto proxy detection as there are several methods to acomplish this. Nice little app though.
  24. Been here 10 years and every year the ICT lead teacher asks the same question. I reply there is not any such thing, and imply more supervision might work.
×
×
  • Create New...