Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TechieWils

Members
  • Posts

    229
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TechieWils

  1. As in it goes smoothly and everyone's happy before it crashes and your left crying and confused for hours?
  2. For android we had a look at learnpad as the management and updating looked amazing. Got a set of 8 with wireless charging on order so will let you know. 8 with charging station and cases comes to around £2300.
  3. We use easy card creator and net2 to manage our fobs. The printer I use is a zebra x3 series. Got it a few months ago and seriously impressed with it. Better colour and quality than our old evolis pebble printer.
  4. All I can say is I sympathise, understand and appreciate every word above. I hate solus 3 and Sims as a whole. Bloated and messy I actually miss CMIS for all its dated looks you updated the server then relaxed as the clients sorted them selves out. Solus 3 also has no manual install of Sims when the inevitable client actively refused connection and been told the firewalls are on (no there not your software is awful) and the deputy is breathing down your neck asking why it isn't working. Infuriating when 6 updates come down in one with no warning, the auto deployment is off now cause of the charming little feature I had on Friday.
  5. I have seen them but not with the wireless charging, sounds smart! I've noticed that only a few people use them even though they can save to a network drive using webdav and all the apps been purchased for them. Oh well.
  6. Morning all, We currently have 16 iPad 2's in a Leba carry case (looks like a flight case with foam inserts). I've been asked to investigate more tablets and different options as they want more but not pay top dollar (there's a surprise). No word on budget, usage or why they actually want them they just want to know whats out there and for how much. Not wanting to spend an age looking up and comparing spec's as we all know how these things play out. The current set of iPads are managed via the techies Mac with Apple Configurator, windows 2008 R2 domain with full wireless coverage by Meru. Just curious what everyone else is running and how really. Thanks
  7. Staff, Students (all of them), Governors and certain choice contractors who have been vetted and checked with limited access. We use Paxton Mifare cards for use with follow me printing, catering, door access with a barcode for Inventry sign in for lates and sixth form registration. They have the school badge on, rank, photo (students love to scrub that bit off), barcode and are colour coded with a boarder round the photo and colour coded lanyard and holder to denote staff, visitor or year. All printed in house with an Evolis card printer. On a side note yes its lengthy to setup and a pain when the new Year &'s start as the cards have to be setup within a day as our buildings are all spread out with door access. Final note we print about 5 new cards a week from lost or damaged cards from students with 920 on roll.
  8. Skip Palo Alto, especially if your Co-managed. Going from Smoothwall at my old place to Palo Alto I just dislike it and how so and fussy the system is as a whole. Plus like I said Co-managed is awful I'd rather have it all under my grubby mitts.
  9. 40 to 50 quid an hour is your average really and to be careful and done right an hour tops. My guy is £80 an hour but thats serius black and grey work for the whole arm took 6 hours with about an hour left to do but I've been lazy getting it sorted. Make sure you write down exactly what you want, upper/ lower case and spelling and have him sign to say he understands and you sign you accept its spelling. Not sure on how legally binding it is but it just means you both accept that's how it's spelt and makes the blame game easier afterwards if a mistake is made.
  10. Afternoon Everyone, Firstly my experience with Moodle is limited at best but recently we've having a strange problem. When a student or member of staff tries enrolling on a course the site completely freezes and does nothing. I'm unsure if it freezes for everyone or just that user. The only way round it is to run sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart. The strange thing is once its backup the user has actually enrolled on to the course now. Server: Ubuntu 12.04 Moodle: 2.5 I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this before or could offer some ideas as I've tried a few things and only made things worse before putting everything back to how it was. As always thank you
  11. I've used Smoothwall at my old place and have Palo Alto in my new place and absolutely miss Smoothwall. If I could get my own way I'd be straight back on Smoothwall
  12. Hi there, some stuff to check. You need to get the bin file version of the hostname change.ell from the original download and edit it with a secret key and password (domain admin join) and turn it in to a dll with visual studio. Then get fog crypt from the download and use the secret key from the .dll to encrypt your domain password. That goes in the fog server settings page, you need to make sure magic quotes is enabled in ubuntu and that you have installed the fog client on the machine to join before susprep and replace the hostname change. dll file with yours. Also probably best to use fog 0.32 as it's more reliable and did away with a lot of the bugs. Finally apologies I'm writing this on my phone. When I get to a pc I'll provide some links but Google the stuff I mentioned. Hope it helps.
  13. I'm not allowed to go but please give'em hell and report back. Pretty please
  14. Survey expression is pretty good I use it but from what I see some of the reporting options are limited. But just chuck the results into excel and do what you want with them.
  15. TechieWils

    NEWBIE

    Welcome and good luck, just wondering could we get a timer to see how long it is till Rfais posts an AAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH thread :-)
  16. Done, good luck with it
  17. WD 40 works really well for cleaning whiteboards and getting permanent marker off them as well (dont ask it happens more then I care to think about here) you only need a little but you have to make sure you wipe it all down properly when done. Oh and as for the poll no one really.
  18. Apart from the usual singing at the top of my voice, drumming on everything I walk past and communicating with the other tech, data manager or site team by bellowing down the empty corridors (oddly satisfying echo). We've played catch with stress ball, slid down the banisters and had an impromptu curling session with open corridor doors, shiny floor and keys on a lanyard... I think I'm crazy
  19. We use webdav and an app called over the air (free) that or email them to her self but I will admit it's annoying.
  20. I only have one subnet so it's not a problem for me but I remember someone saying the Apple tv's and ipads need to be on the same subnet unless you perform some networking voodoo
  21. Just a heads up before you buy a load, Apple tv going through a vga converter only half works. When you try to air play a video you will often get a hdcp error. This is because the encryption used in hdmi communications is stripped out during the conversion. I did read that some vga converters can pass the encryption through but I can't guarantee it. Hopefully this made sense.
  22. We did some investigation into the RT devices as well. Here are a few things I know/think I know: The deal of replacing staff laptops it depends on what your staff currently do with their laptops. Web browsing bit of Office work etc. is fine. You can’t install any apps that are not RT based but you can set up RemoteApps on a server and run them from there and just emulate it on the Surface RT. Could be very useful and if your staff are anything like mine would cut back on the 'it’s too much hassle carrying a laptop around' issue. From what I remember about the office 365 you can use that account but not use it to actually login to the device. I read that it’s not an actual Window live account or something (we don’t use it so didn’t pay much attention). As for management because they are off domain the usual ideas of GPO and AD are out. I did read about Windows Intune (Windows Intune - PC and mobile device management in the cloud) which is Microsofts way of doing Meraki for iPads. It does cost but has a 30 day free trial so if you get one RT demo in or just buy one and test it you can check it out. I think it also integrates with SCCM 2012. Depending on your licensing agreement you may already have Intune licensed already. Windows Defender has Microsoft Essentials built in to Windows 8 so technically no but I haven’t looked at other antivirus solutions for RT. As for advice, definitely try and get your hands on one, even if it’s a demo in a shop just to have a play cause although the education deal is good, if you can’t work them into your infrastructure there useless. Also make sure your wireless is up to it and I think you might have problems imaging them for roll out. (Needs more research into that bit). Hope that helps a little, and if I have anything wrong please let me know.
  23. Only thing I could recommend without using any Apple products is Meraki (plus its free)
  24. Hi there, welcome to the confusing and poorly documented world of Apple (you can tell I'm a fan), right to business: 1. here's a trick to this and you have almost done it. You download the spreadsheet and take one code to download the app, once the app is downlaoded go back to VPP and download the spreadsheet again and you will noice it has marked a code used (this is correct and right). with the new spreadsheet with the used coe import the downloaded app and its new spreadsheet. It will recognise you have used a code to get the app into Appe congurator and allow you to reuse it. Silly I know but took some googling before figuring it out. 2.When it comes to Meraki check proxy to make sure it isnt blocking anything meraki needs. Someone around here had all the required settings that need to be allowed. I have them wrote down at work if you want them. If its not that then it could be temperamental, I actally gave up with Meraki as I couldnt get t working as well as I liked and word of warning. Pushing purchased apps through Meraki does not allow you to reassign the app to another iPad like you can with Configurator and supervised devices. (if you want more info just ask) 3.Never looked at using a windows backup solution but thinking about it and the way the Mac's file system is laid out I think it will be more hassle then its worth. Your best bet is using time machine and either backing up to another drive in the mini (if you have one) an external USB drive (around 50gb a full backup is on one of myMacBook Pros I use for Configurator but its full of apps) or using a NAS box as a time machine backup (QNAP and NetGears have this capability and are straight forward to setup). Anything else you need clarifying or any other questions I'll be glad to help. (ps I'm tired so any spelling mistake please ignore)
  25. Its almost like you've met my staff before, I will not hold my breathe but it was nice that they actually listened to me in the end. I've lost count of the number of times I tell people to backup their laptops/USB sticks and the usual response is I did last summer or why it still works
×
×
  • Create New...