Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

TechieWils

Members
  • Posts

    229
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TechieWils

  1. It's all sorted now, just an update I tried Bart pe on a stick and the appropriate version of ubuntu for mac and still no dice. Told the user the only option I could find was disk warrior. Told them they either get it and try it or I reformat the drive. They bought disk warrior and it worked. Powerful little program and easy to use. Would definitely recommend it. Cheers everyone for your help.
  2. I'll give it a try thank you.
  3. Morning everyone, I've just being handed a MacBook pro with Lion on it. Apparently it was working and now it hangs at boot with the spinning wheel. I booted into the recovery partition and ran disk utility which came back saying the hard drive had an invalid sibling link and that I should backup what I can and reinstall the os. Question, how do I backup what I can? I can't mount the drive in Windows or OSX although I have used testdisk to do a recovery on it which has copied everything with a random numerical name (not really helpful with thousands of files recovered) was wondering if any one knew of a way to repair the drive or recover the data? I did see disk warrior but the user is reluctant to purchase it at the moment. Any help as always is appreciated. Thanks
  4. I'm not sure if you can push out 8.1 but I've heard about a microsoft cloud mdm like meraki called intune. There's a 30 day trial if I remember correct and could be useful. Just an idea.
  5. I used startssl and it is free. The way to get your county subdomain (mine is school.bham.sch.uk) to get your version of bham.sch.uk in the list email tech support and say please. It's all I did and within the day they had added it to the list and I was good to go. Also it is preferred to a cert for hap. Hope that helps.
  6. When I did a sandwich course a few years ago I did term time only but because I was eager (read stupid lol) I did 3 days a week minimum during holidays as I felt I was missing out. Pay was around 9k and I loved it and was grateful of the opportunity it gave me. Now I'm a senior tech in a secondary and I'm awesome (opinion of staff not mine). My original NM did say he had some awful student techs so be carful, but the chance for a year's experience at the moment is worth it's weight in gold. Hope that helps.
  7. I'd be greatful for any help in raising money for the Brain Tumour Charity, I'm planning on shaving my head and beard on the last day of term and would love you guys and girls to help even a little, even if its simply condolences and passing the link on. Its dedicted to one of my best friends father who passed away last weekend. Photos will be put up for the 'lulz' but as I said any help would be amazing. Here's the link: Craig Wilson is fundraising for Brain Tumour Charity (The)
      • 1
      • Thanks
  8. We have it here for the year 11 revision, from what I see they enjoy it and the staff say it's definitely helped them.
  9. I had an issue like this the once and used the folders dos name to delete while in command prompt. You know the one where file name 'stupid file won't delete' in dos it's 'stupi~1' (something like that) try deleting it using that name. If I find the site I found it on ill post here.
  10. Personally I like backup assist not had any issues and quite a clean interface. Just a heads up though if your using GRT to backup your exchange box not all nas drives support it and will fail.
  11. Haha strange is a nice way of putting it, retarded is another I just checked what time I posted the first response. It was a school night why were we still awake? It is an absolute pain I know. But right to business: 1. When you supervised the ipads originally they may have installed the paid apps on to them using up your vpp code, the only way I know of retrieving that code for reuse is to uninstall the app from the iPad using apple configurator. Any other method of removal risks losing that code permanently. Same goes for using the code on a non supervised device. Also the way I read your post you may have an issue connecting to your ipads on a newly built mac book as they will be looking for a certificate on the original build . Ipads can only be managed from one mac at a time and I am unsure of acway round this. A direct call to apple may help but I Fo know it says back up your database. 2. It's thick and annoying and apart from cancelling any extra downloads I have no way of stopping this sorry. 3. You can use time machine which works like a backup/imaging service. You point it towards a compatible NAS box or Usb hard drive and tell it to backup everything. This will let you restore the image of your mac safe with the configurator database intact as well. Sorry this isn't better news.
  12. Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply it's being one of those days. I'll get some screen shots over in the morning for you but to let you know. If you set a profile to limit the installing and uninstalling of apps it will actually stop apple configurator from installing apps as well (stupid I know). The trick is to do a triple sync. 1. With no apps selected (or just the apps that did install correctly) with the profile limiting installing. Refresh the ipads with this profile deselected. 2. Select the apps you wish to install and then refresh again. 3. Select the original profile with the installation restriction in and refresh a third and final time. That should get you round the permission issue (if I fixed the wrong issue let me know, my brain isn't in gear) As for the background image in configurator in the preferences across the top you can set a background lock screenand I think a background image as well as default. When you refresh the ipads this over rides their custom background. I will double check this and send screenshots first thing. Let me know how you get on.
  13. I feel your pain I had to setup and manage our 4 crates and know exactly what your doing. 1. After installing all your apps, organise the apps in to folders and get it to an nice image state. (initial setup, restrictions, pin code, layout etc) once in that position take a backup via configurator and restore to the other ipads. When they come back in with all the photos etc just restore the backup, it's loads quicker. 2. If you set up webdav on a server (you'll need a Pac file with proxy exceptions for it to work in school) and use over the air, it's a webdav app that allows uploading unlike some apps that allow download only. Not too slow either but we have ruckus across the site. Then just share wedav share in my computer. 3. Printing I haven't looked at but I've heard the new version of paper cut comes with an app that mimics a printer in other apps and sends it to the paper cut app which then pushes it out to any printer in its database. Allows active directory and print quotas. (or so I understand) 4. Haven't used that one but tried meraki and found it a little flaky if I'm honest (ymmv - proxy issues when using configurator to enrol to it) the 3 main plus points are over the air app pushing (warning I don't think it gives you as much control for paid apps in the sense of removing and reusing the code but I could be wrong.) Find your iPad and general location and finally remote wipe and lock. Meraki is free but I only had a quick play on it. Apologies if anything may be wrong or spelling mistakes I'm on my phone. Hope that helps.
  14. Just added a few of you. Some reason a my name us a random number. Any way it's 0607934274
  15. I might win this one, while the science tech was clearing the prep lab out she gave me a box with a zx81 spectrum which is sat on the desk at work. For the curious it was released March 1981!
  16. Sorry how do you turn it off per resource?
  17. I tried the above code and it restored the ability to multi book rooms which are free but I can not override bookings that are static.
  18. It looks like I got it working going from your lead but I'll be completely honest I have no idea if I've broken something else. ~/bookingsystem/default.aspx: line 336 reads canmulti = true; } else { $("#bfmultilesson").hide(); canmulti = false; } } catch (e) { $("#bfmultilesson").hide(); canmulti = false; } I change it to: canmulti = false; } else { $("#bfmultilesson").hide(); canmulti = false; } } catch (e) { $("#bfmultilesson").hide(); canmulti = false; }
  19. You are correct the room does have a static booking in but in v7 I was able to override static bookings, was this removed? Tried adding the code you posted and restarted IIS and it had no effect. Thank you
  20. I have upgraded to version 8.7 and when logged in as a domain admin I cannot override any static bookings although I can cancel normal bookings and make bookings on behalf of people. When I try to override I get the normal form but the lesson drop down menu is blank where it is filled in on a standard booking. (see attahced) As always thank you.
  21. To be honest your best off imaging all the ipads with the same image with every app you have as if you have a lot of apps the install and backup can take an hour or more. Also ios 6.0.1 (latest for iPad) has a bug in it where if there's a large amount of data to restore during the restore operationit doesn't always turn back on when it should causing the restore to fail. (this happens with apple configurator). As for the multiuser aspect you are correct but an app I've found to be incredibly useful is filebrowser (logo is a blue square with fb inside it) it allows you to set up smb shares to specific areas like the students user area and have them log in to access work and then log out so some one else can get there work. Just make sure you tell them to log out. Another thing to look out for if your supervising devices is you can no longer connect them to a pc and download the photos and videos that have being taken (if you used apple configurator) using filebrowser helps you get around this. Currently we have 4 crates of 15 setup like this for teachers to book out. If you have any questions give me a shout. (Please excuse spelling mistakes or if this post doesn't make full sense I've just woke up and wrote it on my phone.)
  22. I haven't checked as I'm on my phone but it's probably the public kms key so no need to worry.
  23. Pinnacle studio 11 came with a usb to rgb connector/s video, connect it fire up the software. Couple of clicks press play and come back later jobs done. Did it a few times at work. To be honest there's probably a million ways to do it. Hope that helps though.
  24. You could look at meraki, a free website for managing a number of devices. I had mixed feelings about it but does restrictions. Failing that iTunes and creating a master iPad and backup then restore it to another iPad. I'm sure I've seen some guides about it somewhere on here.
  25. Ruckus here and can't fault Mark and CPLTD.
×
×
  • Create New...