Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

robk

Mod Staff
  • Posts

    1,409
  • Joined

Everything posted by robk

  1. Happy birthday!
  2. The licensing tab is very hidden. But from memory @Martin is right.
  3. Not wishing to divert this thread but the CMOS version is well on the way too. Testing it on this iPod.
  4. Thanks for the info! I have used Buffallo Terastations in the past for backup storage and not had much luck with them. Costs on the Readynas 3200 are a little prohibitive, but the 2100 at just under £1K is a good price. Not seen much in the way of Qnap pricing yet. @mb2k01 what do you use yours for?
  5. I need accelerate a virtualisation project that we have been looking at for some time. I had been planning to put in a pair of VMhosts with some local storage to move print services etc off some of our older servers. It appears however that our intranet server may require upgrading sooner than I had planned. Therefore I now need to look for some storage. I am considering something along the lines of a Netgear ReadyNAS 2100 or Qsnap unit. Looking for CIFS/ISCSI support and min 1Tb storage, solution needs to be off the shelf rather than home build. Netgear’s 5 Year warranty looks good. What would be people’s recommendations? I have in mind a vmware esxi instance of 2008R2 with the inetpub folder on a iscsi target.
  6. If I understand correctly you have two of these controllers (which are actually Dimmers) with 5 lamps fed off each dimmer? With a Strand 100 lighting console somewhere acting as the desk. The normal programming method with DMX is to specify a start address for each pack, so in your case one controller will have a start address of "1" and the other "7" so first pack is reacting to DMX 1,2,3,4,5,6 and the second 7,8,9,10,11,12 You want to change the second pack start address from "7" to "8" which should produce what you are looking for. You can assign the same DMX address to multiple dimmers, and they will all give the same output, so if you wanted to logically move the dimmers to 1-5,8-12 so a third dimmer could be hired in and used for extra centre stage lights you could start that at 5-8 Two channels would over lap. Page 13 of the manual is what you are looking at.
  7. 60-100 users ave, tomcat seemed to be eating memory so we doubled the ram before adding the BM system (as we knew that eat resources as well). CPU tends to be 50% plus untill it locks at 100%.
  8. We have been running eportal for a number of years, and have never been too happy with the speed and reliability of eportal. We have also brought into the new behavour management system which is causing interesting issues. At times of heavy load (week before report deadlines) we find that eportal completely stops working with tomcat hitting 100% cpu, this is usually after a few hours of the school being open. Our eportal server does a complete restart at 3am every day to attempt to get a clean days run. Admin logons can take anything up to 60 seconds, and we regually see messages such as "not a school day" when it is! The BM system has taken to emailing room booking alerts to staff even though we don`t have the room booking module. Our system is installed on two servers, a HP DL360 with the database and facility server (4gb ram, Dual Xeon 5130 2GHz processor SAS raid array for the data) and a HP DL320 with eportal installed (4gb ram, Dual Xeon 3050 2Ghz processor and Mirrored Sata drive) Although the eportal server is not that stellar in performace Serco seem to be happy with the hardware spec. Is anyone else seeing simalar problems, or even better know any solutions? I have had many support tickets open with serco on this issue, which they seem to close by sending me a "troubleshooting eportal performance" document, even if I start the call with I have tried the info in the troubleshooting document.... Currently I have several tickets open with no sign of serco getting in touch with me. Not a good state of affairs. RobK
  9. Done, I now have one left.
  10. Having got one of these from JJonas (many thanks JJonas) last time I also have 2 codes, same details as above.
  11. Agreed, it also goes into a "different" light version on old browsers.
  12. Being thick! Turns out its the fact that the laptop I have been loaned only has IE 6...
  13. Can anone suggest what I have clicked to force my OWA page on Live@edu to Light view? Can view multiple mailboxes...
  14. Ah, if that had been a Serco backup then building a new system would be easy. I suspect you are running SQL server so it would be a case of extracting the SQL files and reattaching them to a SQL express instance. I havent done this do would request the help of otherrs. Mic@Serco any suggestions?
  15. Exactly what has been deleted? You can do alot of damage if you attempt to restore a cmis backup in single table mode without knowing what you are doing. I would contact support, and remember you could create a test database from the backup and recreate the data in the live system by manually copying the info across.
  16. Got a simalar device linking wireless router downstairs to the rest of the system upstairs here. It replaced a very tempermental wireless bridge. Mine is on the end of a extention lead, even though the instructions say do not do it. I suspect it depends how electrically noisy everything else plugged into the extention is. Worth a try I would suggest.
  17. I beleve the site of the meeting is a smoothwall customer.... Its not a meeting I am organising, but having having heard smoothwall present at others they are good for a laugh, and usually even have some good info and that doesnt have to be directly smoothwall related. @kaphc if you have space I would suggest taking up Tom's offer.
  18. @Ric_ am I right in thinking you use a kindle as well? Just signed up for Safari now looking at a device. I fear ipod touch would be just a tad small for lots of reading, and two laptops is pushing it! Many thanks for the info. Rob
  19. Agreed with the Minasi books, there some of the ones I am looking to update, now available on safar it seems. Yet another plus point. So the real question is down to ebook readers, anyone use a kindle etc with safari and care to comment?
  20. Having just looked at the substantial pile of books sitting here that are now out of date I am considering a safarionline subscription an maybe mobile device to read said books on. Question is who else uses it, what do you think and what sort of mobile support do you get? Already looking at powershell, exchange and VoIP books which is starting to become close to the subscription costs.
  21. We use microsofts ipp web client, very old but gives a web page for each print queue. Will try and find a link for it tomorrow.
  22. Once you change MX records All of your domain email goes to microsoft's systems, so you can't change some addresses and not others. You can however set up all your user accounts, and upload email before you swap over. I strongly suggest looking if you can get external IMAP support from your current mail server, as you could then use the microsoft migrtation tool for all existing email.
  23. You would get the srib in the boot of a fabia (with care) but you would end up with a back seat looking like a van.... I speak from recent experience.... Cheap and not bad to drive thou
  24. You need to change the licence key to the free version. Its just a case of entering the correct key from the VMware site. (Same thing happened to mine!)
  25. Worth looking at though you can't set proxies on the card. As long as the camera is on photos will upload, might mean less looking for cameras/tech staff to download photos
×
×
  • Create New...