Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

RobD

Members
  • Posts

    678
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RobD

  1. Which Web filter are using? We use radius accounts on Meru to send auth packets to our lightspeed web filter and it works a treat.
  2. Personally I've never got along with Backup Exec and Exchange (the Dag used to crash), I use Veeam and it just works!
  3. Untangle used to do a pretty good free proxy but not used it in years: Clicky
  4. We run delprof2.exe via batch script attached to a GPO to remove old profiles. @echo off \\SERVERSHARE\scripts\delprof\delprof2.exe /u
  5. IBM re-badge netapp SAN's. If you can affort to go with netapp direct as you'll get access to their website and its goodies.
  6. Hi All, Thanks for the replies, Really helpful. Unfortunately for me the problem ended up being really quite straight forward. The default gateway on the DC on site2 was the core switch on site1 which meant I couldn't route to the vlan. I changed the default gateway on the DC to the local core switch and bobs your uncle it all worked. Thanks again.
  7. Hi, thanks for the reply. IP Routing is enabled on all the switches (is that correct?), looking "show IP Route" the vlan only appears where the IP is configured i.e. on the switch that has my DC on.
  8. Hi All, I have a few questions on VLANs, default gateways and DHCP: We have three switches at our primary school, traditionally all three switches had a default gateway of the core switch which is on a different site and is connected via a leased line. Each vlan had a IP of its own which was located on the core switch on the main school site. The reason being so we could have a DHCP scope for each vlan, so then on the core switch we would have a ip helper which would point to our DHCP server. This all worked and was fine except if we had an issue at the main site the primary school would also suffer. So to combat this I added DHCP to the local DC and configured the scopes, changed the default gateway on the primary schools switches to the switch the DC was plugged into (call it 84) and added a IP helper to point at the local DC and added the IP address to the vlan. Then deleted the old scopes and vlans at the main site. So in theory the PC would look at its local switch 110, the switch would then push all traffic to the switch 84 (default route via 85), switch 84 would use the IP helper to direct the PC to the DC and get a IP (see diagram). Unfortunately this isn’t working, the PC’s aren’t getting IP addresses as they seem to be trying to look at the core switch located on the main site (as they used to) instead of locally. I’m not sure where I’m going wrong here or what to check. The vlan tagging seems ok, the PC's are untagged and the route through to the servers is taggged. Any ideas what I should look at?
  9. What firewall do you have? If its something like a SonicWall then most of the work is done there and users have to install some software, type a username and password and job done.
  10. I think it easier to get bored while working in IT in a School than was in corporate, well that's true for me anyhow.
  11. We allow personal devices on the wifi but apply a load of ACL's so they can only get to the internet on port 80 and 443. They also have to authenticate against our proxy!
  12. I'll be honest when I first started with Lightspeed I thought it was rubbish but since then I've really grown to like it, the scheduling feature is brilliant for our borders i.e. no internet during prep and past 11pm, relaxed internet during evening break and locked down during school hours etc. I've just double check FB and its still blocked for us.
  13. As I said, file server, print server, DC, VPN host, and to host a application. Happy to get a quote, looking for a server with RAID 5 (4 1TB drives), Server 2012 something (maybe essentials), enough CALS for 20 users/devices. Something meaty enough to last 5 years ish
  14. Hi All, A friend of mine runs a small business (around 20 people) and is looking for a new server to run as a file server, exchange server, print server and also run a small application (to replace their SBS 2003 server that does the same). I've been looking at Dell servers which seem pretty good but they don't sell small business server any-more meaning we wouldn't have Exchange built in. Does anyone have any options on what I should do i.e. buy a server with server 2012 and tell them to use 365 or just buy exchange? Thanks
  15. We use mandatory profiles for students then folder redirect for docs etc, this is the guide I used which was very good: How to create a Mandatory profile with Folder Redirections - RobinHobo.com
  16. Which version of Exchange are you running? In Exchange 2010 you can disable this at the route level: Organization Config - Hub Transport - Remote Domains - Default - Message Format - untick "Allow automatic forwards"
  17. That was my original plan but the Pi's would have to be on a separate desk meaning they wouldn't be as accessible for quick changes. Basically the teacher thought there would be two much "back and forth", I think we'll need KVMs and HDMI to VGA may be the winner. Or I suppose we could use laptops and direct Ethernet to the pi's (wireless to share internet etc).
  18. Hi All, We recently bought 20 Pi's and we struggling to work out how best to wire them into the classroom. We have a suite of computers with DVI monitors which we could use but none of us are keen on letting the students un-cable and re-cable the monitors and PC's every time they class need to use the Pi's. I had thought about installing Raspbian then enabling remote desktop, then allowing the students to RDP to the Pi's but this would mean the kids cant have the Pi on their desk which wouldnt be great if they playing with LED's etc. Any one have any advice or suggestions? Thanks
  19. Do you use redirected app data so users keep their settings etc or not worry? Use use mandatory for students but I'd love to implement them for staff too. Speed up loading slightly.
  20. Your not the same DCUK from otherplaceforum.com are you?
  21. Can I join in please? Ta
  22. We have 3 physical ESX hosts (196GB RAM each) that host around 40 servers. Then a physical DC and a physical Backup server, all runs pretty smoothly.
  23. You should just be able to add the lightspeed server as Radius Account server on Meru (with key) so once its authenticated the meru will pass the details to lightspeed and auth the user again without the need to logon then appear in the lightspeed reports as a radius logon. Out of interest your not in S.Wales are you as your setup is very similar to mine!
  24. The School has a technology partner who I'm sure will provide plenty of help if I felt I needed it but I was really just generally interested in what the menagerie of network managers on Edugeek used on the off chance there was a common technology I'd missed. Thanks for all the comments anyhow.
×
×
  • Create New...