Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

RobD

Members
  • Posts

    678
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RobD

  1. Cool, so I take it if the SAN reached 2000 IOPS then it would really struggle or at least be under a very heavy load?
  2. Hi, Thanks for the reply, the scale goes up to 100 which I'm guessing is IOPS: I'm running 3 VM hosts and basic file sharing etc. Nothing drastic really, what prompted this was we have a class of people who use VB to create projects and when they save the project (around 5 folders and 50 small files), VB freezes where as if they save locally VB doesnt freeze. So I thought I'd just rule out the SAN.
  3. Hi All, I've been doing some research on the performance of SANS but if I'm honest I still don't totally understand the IOPS concept. I appreciate if a the IOPS are hight then the disks are busy but what I'm struggling to understand is what constitutes too high? We essentially have two sets of storage, a HP P4300 SAS cluster and a P4300 Sata cluster which are both connected via a 1GB fibre. The average IOPS total on the SAS is 77.4: The average IOPS total on the SATA is 76.4: I guess what I'm asking is when should I worried i.e. when they reach what sort of peak? Thanks
  4. It was a combination of changing the power scheme and increasing the time out on the screen saver sorted the issue for us.
  5. Thanks all, appreciate the help. We have impero but must admit didnt realise you could block USBs with it. We havnt discussed it with staff yet so to be honest its a bit of a fact finding missing but you've all provided some great advice. Thanks
  6. Hi, I'm thinking about blocking usb drives and thought I ask you all if you block USB drives and if so how? I'm thinking about blocking via GPO but have used device wall but not sure if it would be best in a School environment. Thanks Rob
  7. Is there any chance you could send me the file? I'm struggling to get hold of it and the original code I posted results in: 1337 The security ID structure is invalid.
  8. Hi, Thanks where can I download Cacls from? Also what permissions will this assign? Could I add Domain Admins etc?? Thanks
  9. Hi All, My server that host my homes drives stuffered some serious problems last night meaning I had to take ownership of all the home drives and copy them to a new server. The problem I have is all the permissions seem to have broken, so the plan is to re-set all the permissions with something like subinacl etc. Would the below work: for /D %%i in (*) do ( subinacl /file %%i /grant=yourdomain\%%i=C "/grant=yourdomain\domain admins=f" /grant=yourdomain\AreaViewer=c /setowner=yourdomain\%%i subinacl /subdirectories %%i\* /grant=yourdomain\%%i=f "/grant=yourdomain\domain admins=f" /grant=yourdomain\AreaViewer=r /setowner=yourdomain\%%i ) If so would I just need to naviagte to the folder in cmd and run the script?
  10. RobD

    Meru AP

    Hi Wotnowires, That was really very helpful thanks. The problem I'm having is we have our main site which hosts the Meru controller then we have a remote site that has two access points. The remote site is connected via a site to site VPN which only passes traffic bound on the 192.168.0.0 subnet and the 10.0.0.0 subnet (the main site subnets). I can see the traffic from the Meru AP's destined for the Controller on port 9292 but Meru controller isn't receiving any traffic. So I think the other ports are either being blocked or there's something else I'm missing.
  11. Hi, Board one: Product Code: PRM-ABOARDPLUS-RF Serial: 23W1125 145 I'll get the details for second board as soon as I find out what room its in.
  12. Hi, We have two old promethean boards which are probably 10 years old that we're likely to take to the local skip unless someone would like them? I don't have a model number to hand but can grab it if anyone is interested. We're based in South Wales. Thanks Rob
  13. Hi All, I'm having some problems with students and teachers who use Visual Visual Basic 2008 to create and modify projects. We have a issue where when a user saves a project to a network share, the program hangs momentarily (Not responding), eventually coming back to life when the project is saved. I believe the issue is when they save the project, roughly 5 folders are created and around 20+ small files (temp files etc). The latency doesn't seem to increase and the server itself doesn't struggle so I'm guessing its just down the amount of files and folders being written. The share is on a standard 2008 R2 server (SP1), dedicated to file shares and currently only hosting files and folders for this department. The server is hosted on ESXi host with a HP SAN attached which presents the storage to ESXi which in turn presents it to the server. The users are connected to the core switch via 100MB switch on vlan. Only these users are having the issue when running VB, I should note it happens when they debug projects on the network too, presumably because debugging involves writing lots of files to a folder. Also all the users either use roaming profiles or redirected menus. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do about this? I though one possible solution would be to write files locally then use a log off script to copy the files to the server but does anyone have any better ideas?? Many thanks Rob
  14. RobD

    WDS Drivers for HP

    Thanks both, will take a look.
  15. Did you ever get a solution to this edie209?
  16. Just for closure, I spoken to Meru who have spent quite a lot of time on this issue and still have no idea. So I've just received a serial to 3.5mm jack cable so we cant see what's happening on the AP's themselves. Will report back. Ta
  17. Hi All, I've started working with HP Pro PC's recently and I was wondering where people get their WDS drivers from?? Back in the Dell days, I got them all from here: Dell Driver CAB files for Enterprise Client OS Deployment - Enterprise Client - Wiki - Enterprise Client - Dell Community Which was great, so was wondering if there was anything similar for HP? Thanks All.
  18. I havnt tried L3 but I will and that does make sense. Maybe I'll set a static IP on the AP (once I bring it back again). Yes I can ping the AP from the controller.
  19. So we have a remote site that connects to the main site via a site to site VPN. The controller is on the main site and the APs have IPs assigned via the firewall (checked on the firewall and it has a IP). When the AP was on the main site I specificed the IP of the controller so it wont try and use broadcast. But the AP still wont connect so I started wondering if the issue was down to the routing.
  20. Bugger thought that was the case, I was clasping at straws.
  21. Hi All, I have a Meru Controller thats sat on this subnet: 10.0.0.10 255.0.0.0 I'm trying to get to a AP on this subnet: 172.16.200.1 255.255.255.0 I can ping the device but I cant traceroute to the device. traceroute to 172.16.200.1 (172.16.200.1), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets 1 10.0.0.76 (10.0.0.76) 13.993 ms 13.993 ms 13.993 ms 2 * * * 3 * * * down to 30. Would that mean I need to add a static route on 10.0.0.76 (HP ProCurve Switches) i.e. ip route 172.16.200.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.200.1 Or am I way off?
  22. I think I've solved it by setting up a power scheme! Its difficult because one teacher states its fine now and another in the same department stated its not working! Think I need to stop being lazy and go look myself!
  23. RobD

    Meru AP

    Thanks all, managed to sort it! Turned out the switch was at fault which was solved by rebooting it! Do have another issue though where I'm trying to connect two merus over a VPN! I think the firewall isn't allowing the connection but I haven't used the firewall before (sonicwall) so I'm struggling to work out what to allow! Does anyone know ports meru use?
  24. RobD

    Meru AP

    Hi All, I have a Meru access point that cant find the controller, I'm not sure who configured the device so I'd like to have a look at the config of the AP myself. Does anyone know if the AP's themselves have a configuration page etc that I can connect to if I hook it up to my laptop locally (cross over or similar setup). If so what are the details? Thanks
  25. Hi all, Teachers have mentioned that monitors are going black during lessons, do you think that would be the monitor sleeping or a Screen Saver issue? The machines are Windows 7 and I'm presuming its a power issue so I've changed the group policy setting to reflect this but thought I'd ask on the off chance some of you have seen a similar issue? Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...