Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

What single player games are y'all into now?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Just played through "Nutmeg" a deckbuildery retro football manager game. Meh. Was alright. Nearly won the league with York, but the RNG has started to get on my wick, and it gets a bit repetitive

Posted

Picked up Silent Hill Townfall & Control Resonant late last week.

Got through Silent Hill in two sessions, it was fine as far as Silent Hill games go, but leant a bit too heavy on the stealth side of things which really just slowed it down and didn't add any tension to the game (Just devolves into the big important puzzle button makes noise, go hide in the nearest cupboard until the big unkillable thing walks off before carrying on, rinse and repeat for an hour). Story was so/so, it doesn't try to go as crazy as 1/2/3 and I doubt I'll revisit it for the other endings. It was very fun to see a 90s UK represented in game though, and I admit I probably spent more time staring at drain covers, road signs and postboxes instead of the spooky goings on!

 

Now digging into Control resonant in small bursts, I love anything remedy puts out but I really don't get on with action games like this, so it's a bit of a struggle but I'll force myself through it even if it doesn't speed up soon. It's definitely not short of their crazy visual work and worldbuilding which will keep me going more than anything.

Posted

Still only hooked into ETS2/ATS.

 

I've got maximum drivers 355 due to game limits in ETS2, earn about £14 million a week of driving time. SCS software are continually developing with both an Iceland an Ireland pack in the works with continual updates to maps etc. They are due to release coaches DLC by the end of the year hopefully which will expand on jus delivering cargo in time to customer satisfaction score which might get interesting 😁

Posted
On 26/09/2026 at 20:02, Rob_D said:

Started playing Control Resonant. Enjoying it so far, but not quite grabbing me the same way the first one did. 

 

Yeah completely the same, which is a shame.

Posted

Weirdly I have become completely obsessed with Pokopia on Switch 2. 

 

As a tired family man in his 40s, being able to sit down and play Animal Crossing Turbo and creating an industrial revolution with pokemon has really soothed my weary brain.

Posted

I am looking forward to Ace Combat 8 coming this week and have been replaying 7

and Loftia coming into EA in Nov

 

There's also Nervalis nights i want to get, but might have to wait for a sale as have too many games to buy right now lol

Posted

For a blast from the past a couple of the original Unreal games are free to download now:

 

Unreal Tournament Community

 

Looks like it is the original Unreal and the first Unreal Tournament (UT99).  I bought both back in the day and still like UT99 both offline with bots and the newly reinstated online servers.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hoyt said:

For a blast from the past a couple of the original Unreal games are free to download now:

 

Unreal Tournament Community

 

Looks like it is the original Unreal and the first Unreal Tournament (UT99).  I bought both back in the day and still like UT99 both offline with bots and the newly reinstated online servers.

Yep Epic Games gave them the all clear to release Unreal & UT99 for free a couple of years ago, and then again with UT2004 last year. The complete installers work really nice on Windows & Linux. There's a community night every Friday at 7PM UTC on UT99, and every Saturday at the same time on UT2004, both see good numbers and people of varying skills.

Posted
42 minutes ago, ICTDirect_Dave said:

Did they not already release a remaster for this?  Or a hefty graphics update at least.

 

They did the "Next-Gen" update which added a bunch of high res textures and fancy shmancy stuff but its a complete remaster thats getting released now 

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, ICTDirect_Dave said:

Did they not already release a remaster for this?  Or a hefty graphics update at least.

 

 

This is the remaster of the remaster.  Hopefully CD Projekt Red does a better job than Microsoft did on the Halo CE remaster of the remaster.

 

Quote

Surprised they never remastered Unreal. Thought the executives would salivate over the untapped live service potential.

 

I think that may be Epic games which is primarily concerned with Fortnite.  Someone correct me if I am remembering wrong.

 

A private entity did create updated Direct 3D drivers for the old Unreal Games (they were primarily tailored towards 3Dfx Glide).  I've had pretty good luck with them over the years.  I think they can also be used on games like the original Deus Ex and other games using the original Unreal engine.  As best I recall it can also allow modern widescreen resolutions.

 

Unreal Archive

  • Like 1
Posted
4 hours ago, ICTDirect_Joe said:

They did the "Next-Gen" update which added a bunch of high res textures and fancy shmancy stuff but its a complete remaster thats getting released now 

Isn't it going to be a free update for owners of the original game?

Posted

I've been splitting time between two single-player games lately:

 

I'm a long way into a re-run of Cyberpunk 2077 now - I never got around to playing the Phantom Liberty DLC so I have been working my way through that. In a stark contrast to my first and only complete playthrough where I used stealth, silenced weapons, basic quickhacks etc., I have gone with a speedy, all-in shotgun build with Sandevistan instead of a cyberdeck (the time slowing cyberware) and it is a lot of fun. When I started this Cyberpunk playthrough, I chose it over starting The Witcher 3 again. A week later, they announced the Witcher 3 remaster, so I'm glad I held off!

 

I've also been playing Star Wars: Zero Company. I'm a sucker for a Star Wars game (and I'm very excited for Galactic Racer releasing in a week's time) but I've really enjoyed it. I always enjoyed watching XCOM playthroughs on YouTube and I have the games in my Steam library, but I've never actually played them. I think I'll probably give them a go after enjoying Zero Company so much - Maybe after I'm done with Cyberpunk, Galactic Racer and likely The Witcher 3 Remastered!

Posted

My other half has been off work with some pretty bad pain recently so she has been playing some games.

First off was Space Marine 2 - she's absolutely loved it and doesn't often go for first-person shooters but it looks great.

Second of all, she LOVES a cozy game where she has to complete tasks. She's started playing Dressmaker. It came out on the 21st of September of this year and is a game where you literally cut fabric and patterns and make dresses for customers.
Not only does she play it for up to 6 hours at a time, she doesn't get bored, and all the people streaming it are big buff men having the time of their life.

Posted
Just now, ICTDirect_Joe said:

My other half has been off work with some pretty bad pain recently so she has been playing some games.

First off was Space Marine 2 - she's absolutely loved it and doesn't often go for first-person shooters but it looks great.

Second of all, she LOVES a cozy game where she has to complete tasks. She's started playing Dressmaker. It came out on the 21st of September of this year and is a game where you literally cut fabric and patterns and make dresses for customers.
Not only does she play it for up to 6 hours at a time, she doesn't get bored, and all the people streaming it are big buff men having the time of their life.

 

My fiancée has also been obsessed with Dressmaker! She had a day off last Thursday and played it virtually all day.

  • Like 1
Posted
36 minutes ago, ICTDirect_Joe said:

Second of all, she LOVES a cozy game where she has to complete tasks.

Has she tried the Strange Horticulture/Strange Antiquites series. They're both interesting takes on this sort of game.

Posted
Just now, Rob_D said:

Has she tried the Strange Horticulture/Strange Antiquites series. They're both interesting takes on this sort of game.

I'll recommend because I don't believe she has, but I think she's going to be buried in dresses for the foreseeable (at least until we get married next month, she might put the game down for that)

  • Like 1
Posted
5 hours ago, DeGrimmy said:

I'm a long way into a re-run of Cyberpunk 2077 now - I never got around to playing the Phantom Liberty DLC so I have been working my way through that. In a stark contrast to my first and only complete playthrough where I used stealth, silenced weapons, basic quickhacks etc.

I still haven't finished my first play through of Cyberpunk yet.  I settled into using Contagion a lot and just sitting back letting it do all the work for me, then collecting the loot.

Posted
1 minute ago, Hoyt said:

I still haven't finished my first play through of Cyberpunk yet.  I settled into using Contagion a lot and just sitting back letting it do all the work for me, then collecting the loot.

 

Contagion seems very good though - I never used it in my first playthrough (not sure I ever saw it or found it, but this was when the game launched and there have been a lot of changes since!) and I don't have a cyberdeck this time. I definitely think the game is more geared towards a stealthy quickhack style, but I'm having a lot of fun blasting everyone away.

Posted
1 hour ago, DeGrimmy said:

 

Contagion seems very good though - I never used it in my first playthrough (not sure I ever saw it or found it, but this was when the game launched and there have been a lot of changes since!) and I don't have a cyberdeck this time. I definitely think the game is more geared towards a stealthy quickhack style, but I'm having a lot of fun blasting everyone away.

Makes sense.  I waited until a few months ago to give Cyberbug a try on Xbox.  Mostly bug free.  Even after all this time it still has control problems on PS5.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...