Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tom_newton

Smoothwall Staff
  • Posts

    5,888
  • Joined

Everything posted by tom_newton

  1. I would not expect that to happen again - but if you never touch the publish button on cf no policy will push
  2. Youve not got some folks without a cert using cloud filter have you? OR maybe there's an AV or something interfering? Be good to show that cert the user gets when it fails
  3. I would concur with Joel - if you add cloud filter (no cost), alerts route through our email infrastructue. Alternatively a different SMTP provider like mailgun or Joel's suggestion might work out
  4. Cloudflare Tunnel · Cloudflare Docs <-- depending what you were using Dnydns services for, this might be an answer
  5. I just bubbled to the top of the Steam Machine waiting list. Better start thinking of some games then!
  6. The posters here have given some good pointers. Agent based systems are only suitable for fully managed devices. Anyone telling you otherwise is leading you down the garden path. Smoothwall has agent based and proxy options. If you hear people saying proxies are dead technology, they're also poorly informed: outside of in-browser extensions and DNS filters, the vast majority of filtering (including windows, IOS, android agents) depends on a proxy somewhere. A proxy box at the edge of your network might be slightly less common than it was 5 years ago, but the technology just moved Happy to talk you through everything I know: reach out to your Smoothwall CSM and ask them to set up a call with me or one of the Technical Account Maangers.
  7. Working on it - apple appears to have made life very difficult for all filter vendors with this. Are you using block-by-drop, or a redirect to a blockpage?
  8. Can you give some concrete examples - with AI tools blocked, gemini searchers are too: 20260928-1012-40.4282808.mp4
  9. Just played through "Nutmeg" a deckbuildery retro football manager game. Meh. Was alright. Nearly won the league with York, but the RNG has started to get on my wick, and it gets a bit repetitive
  10. @Planehazza if theres anything you miss that's not MDMwise i'd be keen to hear it, we might be able to help
  11. Very sad to hear of his passing - John and I had the occasional opposing view, but his work with LGfL pushed us all to do better.
  12. Hmm, I wonder if we could run a different block.... there is, I think, still a block-by-drop which would present a different looking failure mode to IOS, but I suspect it wont help. Of course having the cert installed makes the block look successful: you get content from a domain you trust that is 200, and has size.
  13. Thanks for the detailed explanation - is this traffic breaking out QUIC on udp/443?
  14. Allowlisting a full cdn may cause you future issues - so if you can get the URLs a bit more precise, that would be great - I'd encourage you to open a ticket with us on the subject and let our folks dig into it
  15. 99% sure it is a Smoothwall issue. I cant quite read the full URL there - but get that URL to our support team and they will sort it
  16. No - the best route is to ensure the students are logging into the ipads - all others bring heartache.
  17. Are these BYO or school devices?
  18. This lot are thoroughly good eggs in my experience: Home | ICT-Direct
  19. Quite possibly going to get the Norway treatment from the super el nino
  20. That's the thing with Apple's hoops - you just gotta jump through them. The system is built for people who actively enjoy colouring inside the lines
  21. Ultimately, shard ipad is going to deliver future benefits (or lack of pain) too - less likely kids will "lose" work, by saving locally and letting the ipad circulate, decent auth brings opportunity, best to normalise it early before it becomes an absolute necessity
  22. Shared ipads would be the route id take, rather than the cumbersome login page
  23. Argh. Off to see my wife in Kenya, I fly out the day before. I am sure you must have told someone here the dates, but I didn't know 😢 Anyway I think you'll get the inimitable Rob Faulkner instead, leaving me 0 for 2 on the last 2 EG confs
  24. There is an update to edge due today - 153 - that we expect to resolve some issues. Can you ping me your ticket number?
×
×
  • Create New...