I wouldnt take CC4 if they paid us now.
Hi all, this is one for others, like me, who have had problems with CC4 since the summer.
I know a number of you have had near identical stories to ours: A CC3 to CC4 upgrade over the summer that went completely pear shaped. I've seen mentioned here and there the issue of compensation. We are currently having this discussion with RM at the moment, what I would like to know is what others in our position have been offered or have negotiated with RM.
If you don't wish to discuss this publicly feel free to PM me or email me at email@example.com
I wouldnt take CC4 if they paid us now.
To be honest, I don't think RM would want any specific figures discussed amongst any schools. We for one (as many have and will be) have previously negotiated what we feel was a satisfactory compensation figure for what we spent on CC4 and taking in to account our troubles up to that point (and then some).
RM are a business and I am sure they have been hit very hard with alot of compensation claims (through complete fault of their own), so I guess they would want to offer you the lowest sum they feel they may get away with. It's worth having to hand how much you have spent and how much disruption the upgrade has caused (for us, it was detrimental, and very much still is in areas).
I think it best for the SLG and yourselves to sit down and decide as a school what would be most fitting by the way of compensation, prehaps targeting curriculum areas which have been hit the hardest. There first port of call though will be to get all your current support calls closed to the best of there ability.
As part of that discussion it was suggested that we enquire from other schools to see how far they pressed compensation. This is perfectly valid, as there is no direct precedent that we can look to.
As Tallwood_6 said, you may want to get some proper information and feedback from departments as to their views (it's obvious what they'll say, but no harm in using whatever you can to put a good case across). I'm sure RM will have heard it many times already so it wont be anything new to them.
Do you mind me asking (either answer publicly or privately) what exactly is the problem with CC4? I look after one CC3 network and ok, occasionally there are problems here and there but not to the point where things are completely unusable.
I would of thought a company the size of RM (with the resources they have) that they would of fixed these issues and avoid longevity of outstanding problems to the point establishments are demanding compensation!
I don't mind you asking, the problem is..."where do I start?"
A two day CC3 to CC4 upgrade became two weeks, which became the entire summer holiday, which ended up being the entire first half term, which ended up dragging on until the end of the year (but things rapidly improved when letters were sent via MPs and such). Our problem has not been with support - they have been very good - but rather with management in allowing a product they knew was not ready to be released into live school environments.
It definitely sounds the product isn't upto scratch. I remember reading that CC4 supports XP and Vista. Did you deploy Vista too? What are RM deploying to schools which are enrolled on BSF?
Why are you asking for compensation?
If you had a vanilla network, and an upgrade went bad, would you seek compensation from Microsoft?
I would have thought the best method of upgrading is to test it yourself first, work with any problems you have, and only once you are completely satisfied - carry out the upgrade.
Not everyone also has a choice and not everyone had a proper chance to try it out and got burnt by RM.
I think that's a bad comparative Webman. Surely the whole point of RM is to provide an "all-in-one, ready to use" solution with various custom RM tools/applications. RM pride themselves on providing an already tested solution and service which is typically supposed to make it easier for non technical people to manage a school network. If you buy an RM solution, they install/set it up for you as part of the deal.I would have thought the best method of upgrading is to test it yourself first, work with any problems you have, and only once you are completely satisfied - carry out the upgrade.
I can't see why anyone would go to the trouble of testing RM tools/applications and then pay someone to set it up, it doesn't make any sense. If you or your establishment had paid thousands for a solution which was unreliable I'm pretty sure you'd be cheesed off too.
So for us that was 6 months lost T&L another 1 to 2 for knock on, my time, SLT time, stress, unpaid over time and what ever else relevent we could think of.
Just back up you claim with evidence as best you can and they cant refuse anything thats justified.
mburland (4th February 2009)
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)