+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM CC4 & Compensation in Technical; Hi all, this is one for others, like me, who have had problems with CC4 since the summer. I know ...

Thank Post

RM CC4 & Compensation

Hi all, this is one for others, like me, who have had problems with CC4 since the summer.

I know a number of you have had near identical stories to ours: A CC3 to CC4 upgrade over the summer that went completely pear shaped. I've seen mentioned here and there the issue of compensation. We are currently having this discussion with RM at the moment, what I would like to know is what others in our position have been offered or have negotiated with RM.

If you don't wish to discuss this publicly feel free to PM me or email me at smhelp@smhelp.co.uk

Many thanks!

Mark

Thank Post
    Congrats.

I wouldnt take CC4 if they paid us now.

Thank Post
    To be honest, I don't think RM would want any specific figures discussed amongst any schools. We for one (as many have and will be) have previously negotiated what we feel was a satisfactory compensation figure for what we spent on CC4 and taking in to account our troubles up to that point (and then some).

RM are a business and I am sure they have been hit very hard with alot of compensation claims (through complete fault of their own), so I guess they would want to offer you the lowest sum they feel they may get away with. It's worth having to hand how much you have spent and how much disruption the upgrade has caused (for us, it was detrimental, and very much still is in areas).

Thank Post
    I think it best for the SLG and yourselves to sit down and decide as a school what would be most fitting by the way of compensation, prehaps targeting curriculum areas which have been hit the hardest. There first port of call though will be to get all your current support calls closed to the best of there ability.

Thank Post
    As part of that discussion it was suggested that we enquire from other schools to see how far they pressed compensation. This is perfectly valid, as there is no direct precedent that we can look to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mburland View Post
    As part of that discussion it was suggested that we enquire from other schools to see how far they pressed compensation. This is perfectly valid, as there is no direct precedent that we can look to.
    Each school will value themselves and their network differently to others, equally as much as each school has had a unique experience of issues related to CC4 (even though some of those issues have affected everyone). We didn't enquire from other schools, simply because our difficulties are OUR difficulties and our bad experiences, and that we may have paid a completely different sum than others initially. I'm don't think it would frowned upon as much to reveal a rough % figure claimed back from the total cost of buying the product, however you may want to aim for at least double the starting figure (during negotiation) if your investment in CC4 was rather substantial.

As Tallwood_6 said, you may want to get some proper information and feedback from departments as to their views (it's obvious what they'll say, but no harm in using whatever you can to put a good case across). I'm sure RM will have heard it many times already so it wont be anything new to them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Do you mind me asking (either answer publicly or privately) what exactly is the problem with CC4? I look after one CC3 network and ok, occasionally there are problems here and there but not to the point where things are completely unusable.

I would of thought a company the size of RM (with the resources they have) that they would of fixed these issues and avoid longevity of outstanding problems to the point establishments are demanding compensation!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Do you mind me asking (either answer publicly or privately) what exactly is the problem with CC4? I look after one CC3 network and ok, occasionally there are problems here and there but not to the point where things are completely unusable.

I don't mind you asking, the problem is..."where do I start?"

A two day CC3 to CC4 upgrade became two weeks, which became the entire summer holiday, which ended up being the entire first half term, which ended up dragging on until the end of the year (but things rapidly improved when letters were sent via MPs and such). Our problem has not been with support - they have been very good - but rather with management in allowing a product they knew was not ready to be released into live school environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would of thought a company the size of RM (with the resources they have) that they would of fixed these issues and avoid longevity of outstanding problems to the point establishments are demanding compensation!
    Indeed!

Thank Post
    It definitely sounds the product isn't upto scratch. I remember reading that CC4 supports XP and Vista. Did you deploy Vista too? What are RM deploying to schools which are enrolled on BSF?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why are you asking for compensation?

If you had a vanilla network, and an upgrade went bad, would you seek compensation from Microsoft?

I would have thought the best method of upgrading is to test it yourself first, work with any problems you have, and only once you are completely satisfied - carry out the upgrade.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post

If you had a vanilla network, and an upgrade went bad, would you seek compensation from Microsoft?
    No - because Microsoft didn't charge you £1000 per server licence, £90 per Workstation Licence, £5k for commisioning, and £3k a year for support.......for a network that apparently doesn't do as advertised?

Butuz

Thank Post
    I would have thought the best method of upgrading is to test it yourself first, work with any problems you have, and only once you are completely satisfied - carry out the upgrade.
    RM made alot of promises to schools on CC4.... easy CC3 upgrades, only a few days, CC3 package imports, exchange integration, CC4 package installer from CC3, a working MMC.

Not everyone also has a choice and not everyone had a proper chance to try it out and got burnt by RM.

Thank Post
    I think that's a bad comparative Webman. Surely the whole point of RM is to provide an "all-in-one, ready to use" solution with various custom RM tools/applications. RM pride themselves on providing an already tested solution and service which is typically supposed to make it easier for non technical people to manage a school network. If you buy an RM solution, they install/set it up for you as part of the deal.

I can't see why anyone would go to the trouble of testing RM tools/applications and then pay someone to set it up, it doesn't make any sense. If you or your establishment had paid thousands for a solution which was unreliable I'm pretty sure you'd be cheesed off too.

Thank Post

If I had a vanilla network and upgraded to a new Microsoft product which subsequently proved to be broken and I later found out that it had been released pre-completion with management consent...well...yes I probably would seek compensation. Wouldn't you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mburland View Post
    We put a value to the amount of time lost or teaching and learning. Then an amount for the knock on and then added some more for good measure.

So for us that was 6 months lost T&L another 1 to 2 for knock on, my time, SLT time, stress, unpaid over time and what ever else relevent we could think of.

Just back up you claim with evidence as best you can and they cant refuse anything thats justified.

16. Thanks to CHR1S from:

mburland (4th February 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast